PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Eidolon Help D=

Silus
2013-08-22, 09:38 AM
Ok, so I'm constructing this Eidolon for the BBEG in my campaign (A currently lvl 8 Summoner Denizen of Leng) and all the options here are giving me a tiny bit of a worry.

Now, the party makeup is as follows:

Human Werewolf (Pure Blood) 2h Fighter 8
Drow Vampire Rogue 2/Sorcerer 6
Human Alchemist 6
Half Elf Magus 8 (Whip)
Quickling Bard 4

Basically, I'm looking for something that can give these guys a run for their money and actually make them panic a little (Combined, they have ~70+ years of gaming experience on me).

Currently I'm toying with a Dex Scimitar build (Weapon Finesse + Dervish Dance + Combat Reflexes) and just give the thing stupid amounts of +Dex gear and +Acrobatics stuff. Name of the game would be "keep away", repositioning and tanking damage to keep the PCs off the BBEG as much as possible while dishing out crippling blows. Evolutions (so far, and with two Extra Evolution feats) are Arms x2, Weapon Training x2 (For Scimitar proficiency), Large size (For dat blockin') and Skilled: Acrobatics (to offset the size and help get around to block the players).

So questions are:
1) Given the players, is a CR 12 encounter "fair" or challenging enough without being a jerk DM?
2) Should I keep the Eidolon (and summoner) at level 8, or boost it up to lvl 9?
3) Any suggestions for kit for the Eidolon?
4) Any suggestions for a build that works like a tank but can dish out the damage?

NeoSeraphi
2013-08-22, 10:13 AM
This is Pathfinder, that's what the PF in the title stands for.

You need the feats Stand Still, Step Up, Step Up and Strike, and Following Step. This requires your eidolon to have at least 7 feats for your intended build. Sadly, an eidolon does not get 7 feats until 17th summoner level, which would be far too high a CR for your party.

The solution is to simply create a magic item that consumes one of your eidolon's item slots and grants it the Step Up, Step Up and Strike, and Following Step bonus feats while the eidolon wears the item. Because the eidolon will return to its home plane once slain you don't need to worry about the party looting such a powerful item if they've defeated it.

These feats will help immensely in your struggle to give your party a challenge.

If you don't feel like custom-making an item, then I suggest you just take Combat Reflexes, Step Up, Step Up and Strike, and Following Step. This requires your summoner to be level 9. You lose the Dervish Dance and Weapon Finesse, but that's actually good for you since Large gives you free Strength and stronger natural weapons. Just use your claws and bite to keep your party at bay with your natural attacks, maybe include the Push and Trip evolutions so you can continue to keep your enemies at bay. Put them both on your bite so you can harass them on your turn, pushing them back and knocking them prone, then you get to do the same when they stand up because standing up provokes an attack of opportunity.

The hard part is going to be knowing when to use your AoOs for Stand Still and when to use your AoOs for Trip/Push/damage. Just try to evenly balance it and let your summoner take care of the rest.

Hope this helps! :smallsmile:

Harlot
2013-08-22, 10:53 AM
whooops, sorry.

The Q? about Eidolon being from the Larissa Ion series still stands though :-)