PDA

View Full Version : how to balance a feat

inuyasha
2013-08-22, 11:33 AM
So just to wonder, how can you balance a good feat? Is there really a good way? If you can help, thank you :-D

toapat
2013-08-22, 11:47 AM
basically, ask these questions:

How often would i take this feat as Combat type X?

Is there anything similar? if so, is this better or worse? Why?

Xerlith
2013-08-22, 12:15 PM
The best way for me is to take a look at the more balanced feats and then compare what you've done to what they give. And by "balanced" I don't mean Dodge or Weapon Focus, I mean Flyby Attack or Arcane Strike.

Hanuman
2013-08-22, 12:27 PM
The best way for me is to take a look at the more balanced feats and then compare what you've done to what they give. And by "balanced" I don't mean Dodge or Weapon Focus, I mean Flyby Attack or Arcane Strike.

This is a good point. Post the feat and have people look at it.

Anything you feel is underpowered because it balanced a class type out is not balanced, the class is just imba and shouldn't have feats addressing a problem with a class. This causes things like the dungeoncrasher fighter dilemma.

Rolep
2013-08-22, 12:51 PM
Another couple of steps you can try are as follows:

Would everyone take it?
Would anyone take it?

If the answers are 'no' then 'yes', you are on your way (but not there)!

Network
2013-08-22, 01:57 PM
A good feat gives new options for the character, not just numerical benefits. The latter tends to become less and less consequent as time goes on (think Toughness), while the former is always useful (Power Attack, Spring Attack, etc.).

A feat may be more powerful than usual, yet still balanced, if the prerequisites are hard to fulfill. Weapon Focus is sucky, but there are some good feats here and there that require it (like most Style feats). This is especially true of feat chains, as most characters can't complete more than one or two pre-epic. These more powerful feats should still be of good design, though (and for the reason mentioned above, numerical benefits aren't of good design).