PDA

View Full Version : Infinitipedia [3.5 Wondrous Item, please comment]

qwertyu63
2013-08-22, 12:21 PM
Infinitipedia

An Infinitipedia, at first glance, appears to be an ornate briefcase with brass edging. However, when opened, it reveals itself to be more complex then that. The top half of the inside has a simple black pane of metal surrounded in a brass frame, while the lower half is covered in brass buttons. Most of these buttons have a single letter or number, but two of them are blank. One of the blank buttons is colored green. When the green button is pressed, the upper screen lights up and reacts to other buttons pressed. By pushing the correct buttons, the various functions of the Infinitipedia can be activated. Two functions can be active at a time, but a function can be closed by pushing the correct buttons. The functions available are as follows:

Research: This function acts as a large store of information. By using this function for 2 minutes, the user gets a +4 bonus on the next Heal, Craft, Decipher Script, Profession or Knowledge check they make and they may make the check as if they were trained. All information gained via this function is purely text based.

Correspondence: This function allows the user to contact others who have an Infinitipedia. Each Infinitipedia has a unique code of letters and numbers that is revealed when this function is used. You can send a message of text to any Infinitipedia for which you know the unique code. This message will be displayed to the user of that Infinitipedia the next time they open the function, or instantly if they already have the function open. The unique code of the sender of a message is displayed next to the message. You can preform Aid Another checks through this function, but only for Heal checks, Craft checks, Decipher Script checks, Profession checks or Knowledge checks.

Documentation: This function allows the user to note down important information. One Infinitipedia can store up to 200 pages of text. Text can be entered directly, or copied from any of the other functions. Text can also be deleted easily, to free up room. Text stored is never lost unless deleted.

Entertainment: This function serves no useful purpose, allowing the user access to a variety of games. All of these games are purely text-based.

Transcribe: This function allows the user to create paper copies of text from other functions. When activated, this function prompts for paper to be slid in the back of the case. This paper comes out the front of the case, with all displayed text from the other active function copied on to it. If no other function is active, nothing is printed. No ink is required.

The upper screen can be returned to black by pressing the green button again. This closes all functions.

Moderate illusion; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, Sending, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Programmed Image; Price 33,000 gp; Weight 10 lb.

In case you didn't get the joke, it's a magic laptop.

EDIT: Time to add in some disks, with more functions. Also, there has been a price hike as I have mathed up a better price. I don't know if these are balanced just yet.

Bronze disk: These disks, when put into a slot on the side of an Infinitipedia, provide access to various other functions. A given Infinitipedia can only have one disk in it a given time, but they can be switched quickly (standard action).

Commerce: Via this function, you can submit a request for a non-magical/non-alchemical item. The requested item is delivered to your location in 1d4 days, regardless of your location. You must pay the market price plus 50 gp upon receiving the item. (Cost: 1500 gp.)

Arcana: This function allows you to store spellbook pages within the storage space of the Documentation function. These spells take up the normal number of pages, and can be prepared from normally. If this disk is removed, the spells stay stored but can't be read or used until the disk is put back. (Cost: 1000 gp. It costs 100 gp for each spell page put into the system.)

Translate: This function allows you to translate text between languages. It can only translate between most languages in the world, and can only translate basic meanings, and will have errors in exact meaning. (Cost: 1500 gp)

Hanuman
2013-08-22, 12:24 PM
This might be an aspect to consider about gramarie potential.

I would like to see an item like this which stores items as wikipedia entries, then can be taken out again. Matter energy storage mixed with semi-plane mixed with lore.

Temotei
2013-08-22, 07:44 PM
Is the other blank button the spacebar, then?

qwertyu63
2013-08-22, 08:15 PM
Is the other blank button the spacebar, then?

Bingo. :smallsmile:

Temotei
2013-08-22, 10:38 PM
Bingo. :smallsmile:

I read through it like six times to make sure I wasn't missing it. :smallamused:

qwertyu63
2013-08-23, 07:39 AM
I read through it like six times to make sure I wasn't missing it. :smallamused:

Well, go team.

I am trying to think of other programs to add. I have a few ideas in mind:

Printer Done
Programming software
Built-in spellbook
Shopping

But more would be nice.

Arcanist
2013-08-23, 07:53 AM
This is a laptop... Why not make other OS for them that do different things? Or something like that.

Morph Bark
2013-08-23, 09:01 AM
I'm gonna say that the Research part of it is both really strong and unrealistic compared to real-life use. The power of it might not be a big deal if skill checks are no big deal in someone's campaign, but otherwise depends on use (if there's a skill monkey in the party and he's not the one using it, he'll be less useful).

Looking at Correspondence and comparing it to similar items that do that, it might be too cheap. It certainly would be for its usefulness and versatility in a world where it is easily obtainable.

qwertyu63
2013-09-13, 01:41 PM
Arise thread.

I have added in some disks that allow you to use new programs. I have also increased the price from 13k to 33k.

toapat
2013-09-13, 03:07 PM
you forgot the Translate function, and all the glorious mistakes of a translation code.

Also, weight wise, this device should weigh something like 10 lbs at least, if not more. this thing is significantly larger then an Ipad and made out of brass.

Also needs an improved version which has Omnificer On-Ether (wikipedia) and Arcano-Physics.Root (D20SRD.com)

qwertyu63
2013-09-13, 03:08 PM
you forgot the Translate function, and all the glorious mistakes of a translation code.

Now there's an idea. I'll add the disk.

toapat
2013-09-13, 03:13 PM
Now there's an idea. I'll add the disk.

i added more ideas, and a correction to the weight

qwertyu63
2013-09-13, 03:21 PM
It already has Wikipedia (Research function) and including the SRD seems a bit meta.

As for the weight... increasing it wouldn't be a bad idea.

toapat
2013-09-13, 03:29 PM
including the SRD seems a bit meta.

Meta indeed, but this is already kinda a silly item. It could be used as a way to identify classes though, as that is not actually possible in the RAW except for the Incarnum users. (go look up the knowledge skill if you think im wrong)

and by translate i meant it could translate anything, poorly.