PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Guard My MacGuffin! (CR 14 NPC needed)

OverdrivePrime
2013-08-22, 02:04 PM
My players are about to venture into a long-buried fortress in search of a long-lost artifact (that won't be useful to them until they manage to gather five others like it from different parts of the world).

For the first few levels of the buried fortress (I'm calling it the Underkeep of Greb Bithan) they'll be making their way past traps and wandering monsters populated by the lovely (and sometimes unreasonable) dungeon generator by Drow at donjon.bin.sh (http://donjon.bin.sh/pathfinder/dungeon/index.cgi).
But for the last level, I just need a big, round underground room with the treasure and its guardian. The online generator kept recommending that I just use two dozen trolls, and that just won't fly. :smalltongue:

The Artifact is a large floating sphere made of millions of tiny, interlocking crystal components that continually shifts in colors and texture as the crystal components morph into slightly different configurations. It can be used for as the focus for scrying, and applies a -4 to the target's saves.

The Guardian needs to be fair, intelligent and purpose-driven. A lawful alignment would be ideal. It also needs to be immortal, or close to it, as it's been guarding the artifact for over 1200 years. It needs to be capable of pushing the player character's to desperation, but not be wholly unbeatable.
Bonus: It would be excellent if the guardian had some relationship to the Naga or Serpentfolk, or could otherwise be explained as being forced into a bargain with the them.

The Available Resources: Anything on d20pfsrd.com (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)

The Players are a mostly-united group of 4 who will likely be level 11 by the time they face the guardian. They are:

A Generalist Wizard who enjoys blowing things up but also is learning the usefulness of battlefield control.
A Ranger (archer) who is the prototypical elf archer you'd imagine. He also fights with paired swords, and is extremely perceptive. He's pretty much Legolas, if Legolas spent more time in the gym and less in front of a mirror.
An Archivist that I converted over from 3.5. She almost never remembers to use her Dark Knowledge abilities, but her spells more than make up for it. She's picked up a number of druid and paladin spells to complement her selection of cleric spells.
A Duskblade that I converted over from 3.5. He's a mouthy hothead who specializes in direct damage and taking foolish risks without letting the rest of the part in on his plans. His most treasured item is a custom set of magical bracers that let him control shadows (treat as Silent Image) and use shadow step 3/day.

nyarlathotep
2013-08-22, 02:46 PM
Here are a few possible suggestions. I can provide stats for any of them if you'd like.

Couatl- immortal/lawful/serpent related. I'd likely suggest adding 4-6 levels of sorcerer to the base creature and swap out its spells to focus more on stasis and battlfield control. It is some minor god or godly servant of serpentfolk that was bound here in ages past.

Yrthak- This would have to be significantly advanced possibly to gargantuan size to be a challenge to the PCs but a serpentine dragon of immense age and size could serve as a suitable boss. It might work best to be half-celestial or half-fiendish. Either way this seems a bit cheaty as it does just make the boss flatly immune to the bust-blade's silent image, not sure of your feelings on that.

Alternatively one could go with serpentfolk's connection to the lovecraft mythos and use a refeated flying polyp for the boss.

OverdrivePrime
2013-08-23, 11:59 AM
...one could go with serpentfolk's connection to the lovecraft mythos and use a refeated flying polyp for the boss.
WOW. That flying polyp is scary business. Not too physically powerful, but a solid threat with great defense. And it would horrify my players. I like the cut of your jib, sir! :smallamused:

Hmm... yeah, a different selection of feats, and swapping out weather control for hmm... what do you think of Summon Monster 8 1/day to summon 1d3 Emkraths (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/emkrah)?

So let's see, we'll have a flying polyp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/flying-polyp) (let us call it Amoneda'Suolliv), bound by a weighty soul contract to defend the Orb of Palantha-Kawon and drive off or destroy all intruders into the vault of the Underkeep.

It'll have all of its fun wind powers except Control Weather. I'll replace Control Weather with Summon Monster 8 (1d3 Emkraths); a full-round action that it'll commit to immediately after casting Whirlwind, initially programmed to sweep the entrance to the chamber in a repeating ellipse.

I'm going to make the artifact itself protected by Dimension Lock (CL 25) and a series of rune traps (heightened Sepia Snake Sigil & such) arranged in a circle of power around the artifact to make it more likely that the PCs have to engage the Guardian and its summoned minions. To prevent against Scry & Die, the artifact itself radiates a field that makes it much harder to scry on the Orb's vicinity (extends SR 30 vs scrying within 200' radius).

Whaddaya think? Too hard? Not challenging enough?