PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Christopher Lloyd get better film roles?

Scowling Dragon
2013-08-22, 02:08 PM
I mean comon! Hes a fun actor! But why the frell is he in Oogieloves and Santa Buddies!

Does he have a huge debt or something?

Ravens_cry
2013-08-22, 02:35 PM
I mean comon! Hes a fun actor! But why the frell is he in Oogieloves and Santa Buddies!

Does he have a huge debt or something?
An actor has to eat, and heck, some actors enjoy working in schlock as long as it pays the bills.

Bhu
2013-08-22, 02:48 PM
Filmmakers generally want to appeal to a younger audience than Lloyd is well known among. It happens to all famous actors eventually.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-22, 03:09 PM
He does it because he knows it bothers you. You specifically.

Kitten Champion
2013-08-22, 03:12 PM
He's a fun actor, sure, but I think his career is winding down now that he's in his seventies and sporadic television appearances and a few easy movies may be all that he's up for at this point.

Also, the IMBD page is strange, I looked into the Oogieloves page and they suggested Machete and The Happening under the "if you like this" section.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-08-22, 03:30 PM
Because he was frozen today.

Mewtarthio
2013-08-22, 03:48 PM
Also, the IMBD page is strange, I looked into the Oogieloves page and they suggested Machete and The Happening under the "if you like this" section.

"If you like this, then maybe you should try watching some real movies!" :smalltongue:

"...Or possibly some post-Unbreakable Shyamalan. There's actually a remarkable thematic resonance between them."

Kitten Champion
2013-08-22, 04:15 PM
Because he was frozen today.

Great Scott!

t209
2013-08-22, 04:40 PM
Better yet! Brink back Toonstruck. It's kinda sad that most players in those chose Doom over that masterpiece.
P.S- He did appear in Back to the Future game by Telltale games.

Ravens_cry
2013-08-22, 05:26 PM
Better yet! Brink back Toonstruck. It's kinda sad that most players in those chose Doom over that masterpiece.
P.S- He did appear in Back to the Future game by Telltale games.
Sadly, I've heard it is one of their lesser offerings.
The Sam and Max games are quite good. Funny and tricksy without feeling like they are punishing the player for not knowing exactly what brand of moon logic the designer had in mind.

turkishproverb
2013-08-22, 05:51 PM
Sadly, I've heard it is one of their lesser offerings.

Maybe, but even their lesser offerings are better than most of what comes out of other companies.

Traab
2013-08-22, 08:00 PM
He's a fun actor, sure, but I think his career is winding down now that he's in his seventies and sporadic television appearances and a few easy movies may be all that he's up for at this point.

Its probably this. The 401k for actors SUCKS. Dude needs a few easy paychecks before everyone stops returning his calls or he is otherwise unable to make more films.

Kyberwulf
2013-08-25, 01:42 AM
I think its more, the roles he likes to play. He seems to be in a lot of roles where he is crazy, quirky, or silly. Also I think he just likes to play in movies that entertain children.

tomandtish
2013-08-25, 08:06 PM
You sometimes never know why an actor takes the roles they do. Liam Neeson took some great roles in 2010-2011, and also some... not so great. He later admitted he was dealing with his grief at losing his wife by diving into his work, taking almost every role he was offered, especially if the schedule allowed him to keep busy.

Lloyd may be taking these roles because they are fun and he enjoys them. He may be taking them because they have filming schedules that work around other things he wants to do. He may be in them only for the paycheck. And he may be in them because they are all he can get at this time. We may never know.

andakvsstevett
2013-09-01, 05:58 PM
Filmmakers generally want to appeal to a younger audience than Lloyd is well known among. It happens to all famous actors eventually.

Because of the films that he has been in though, I would venture to say that Christopher Lloyd is very well known, just not recognized. for example, it took me a while to realize that he played the Klingon captain in Search for Spock, or that he was the voice of Merlock in Duck Tails the movie and Rasputin in Anastasia. I personally think that he is just picking and choosing what he wants to do even if it really doesn't have that strong of a story or that promising of monetary gain.

EvilJames
2013-09-03, 03:47 PM
There was a rumor that he was one of the other top choices for Gandalf in Lord of the rings.

SnowballMan
2013-09-03, 05:15 PM
Great Scott!

Yes?

(It's a lot more fun to watch the Back to the Futures, when you are actually named Scott.)

Absent an interview of him saying he would prefer different parts, I've just assumed he was picking the ones he liked. I do not recall seeing anything that looked like he wasn't enjoying what he was doing.

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-03, 08:54 PM
Well thinking about it that way I hope the guy does what makes him happy.

thompur
2013-09-04, 10:49 PM
He's a wonderful actor, but a man's gotta eat.
I'll always remember him fondly for three great, and distinct, characters:
Rev. Jim Ignatowski on Taxi
Dr. Emmett Brown in the Back to the Future Trilogy
And my personal favorite- Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.:smallbiggrin:

p.s. I remember an interview with another great one, Michael Caine. He was asked why he did so many films, quite afew beneath his talent level, and he said, "I had bills to pay. When I did The Swarm, I was carrying a mortgage on my house.":smallwink:

turkishproverb
2013-09-05, 01:05 AM
He's a wonderful actor, but a man's gotta eat.
I'll always remember him fondly for three great, and distinct, characters:
Rev. Jim Ignatowski on Taxi

What does a Yellow Light mean? :smallwink:

And yea, he mainly works for people who will hire him. Plus, I think he's been semi-retired for a while.

And he's done some things recently that were at the very least interesting. In 2008 he was Pelinor.

nyjastul69
2013-09-05, 10:43 PM
What does a Yellow Light mean? :smallwink:

Rieger: Slow down.

Ignatowski: What... does... a...

Great stuff! Thanks for that memory. I liked him in The Dream Team. It's a bit campy but a fun movie. How can ya go wrong with Peter Boyle?

turkishproverb
2013-09-05, 11:53 PM
Rieger: Slow down.

Ignatowski: What... does... a...

Great stuff! Thanks for that memory. I liked him in The Dream Team. It's a bit campy but a fun movie. How can ya go wrong with Peter Boyle?

Ever hear of Poochinski?