PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler lv 8 feats and magic item advice

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-22, 03:42 PM
Hi!

We're starting a Forgotten Realms campaign at level 8.
I'm running a human beguiler. Rest of the party: Ogre Barbarian, Dwarf Wizard, Human Dragon Shaman.

Stats:

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 16 (18 with Headband of Intellect)
Wis 13 (11 with Shadow Weave Magic)
Cha 10

Feats:
Human: Spellcasting Prodigy (DM allows the 3.0 version with the DC enhacement).
1st: Shadow Weave Magic.
3rd: Improved Initiative.
6th: ????????

I've already read the Beguiler's Handbook and I've come to this. I don't want to take Versatile Spellcaster. I'm planning to take Arcane Strike at 9th level because we're a very physical group.

Magic items bought:
+1 mithral buckler.
+1 mithral chainshirt.
+2 Headband of Intellect.
+2 cloak of resistance.
+1 ring of protection.
Boots of Dimension Stride.
Heward's Handy Haversack.
Wand of eternal cure light wounds.
Feycraft masterwork rapier (grants weapon finesse, but rapier damage is 1d4)

I'm not changing magic items, I like what I have, but I've got 5000 gp left, what should I buy?

Thanks in advance!

nedz
2013-08-22, 04:26 PM
For 3,000 gp you could upgrade either your armour or your shield to +2.
For 2,000 gp you can make your sword +1

I'm not sure why you have a sword though: 1d4-1 damage is almost pointless ?

Beguilers really aren't designed to do damage, it's almost heresy.

Toliudar
2013-08-22, 04:37 PM
Feat stuff:

Extend spell, to stretch out the beguiler's buffs and charms, would be useful. Unsettling Enchantment is decent, if you picture using enchantments in battle a lot.

Greenish
2013-08-22, 04:43 PM
There might be some metamagic handy for you, like good ol' Extent. Sudden Still/Silent might help as panic buttons. If you have access to Dragon Compendium, Bloodline feats are pretty handy.

Blueshine (MIC) makes your armour immune to rust effects and gives a Hide bonus. Quite affordable.

Wand chamber (C. Scoundrel) and Least Crystal of Return (MIC) are cheap improvements for the rapier.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-22, 04:58 PM
For 3,000 gp you could upgrade either your armour or your shield to +2.
For 2,000 gp you can make your sword +1

I'm not sure why you have a sword though: 1d4-1 damage is almost pointless ?

Beguilers really aren't designed to do damage, it's almost heresy.

I know, I'll carry a sword because I know I'll be using Arcane Strike at some point. It's not only that we're a very physical group (excepting me), but one good tactict against enemies spellcaster is casting silence and going into melee. 1d4-1 is pointless, but with weapon finesse and Arcane Strike the damage goes up.

Feat stuff:

Extend spell, to stretch out the beguiler's buffs and charms, would be useful. Unsettling Enchantment is decent, if you picture using enchantments in battle a lot.

Unsettling Enchantment is very good. Specially if you combine it with Chain Spell. But it requires Spell Focus Enchantment... I think it's a high price.

There might be some metamagic handy for you, like good ol' Extent. Sudden Still/Silent might help as panic buttons. If you have access to Dragon Compendium, Bloodline feats are pretty handy.

Blueshine (MIC) makes your armour immune to rust effects and gives a Hide bonus. Quite affordable.

Wand chamber (C. Scoundrel) and Least Crystal of Return (MIC) are cheap improvements for the rapier.

Yes, I was thinking of taking the Penumbra Bloodline feat. I'm divided into that, Arcane Disciple (Shar: darkness domain) and Sculpt Spell.

I'm going to take a look at wand chamber and crystal of return. I also thought of saving money for the Impaling enchacement (3/day touch attack with rapier, could be handy with Arcane Strike).

Jeff the Green
2013-08-22, 05:09 PM
Feat stuff:

If you grab extend spell, Mastery of Faerie Enchantment (PGtE) is worth it. Free Extend on all your enchantments is nice.

Also, Shadow Weave Magic was updated in PGtF. It no longer reduces your Wisdom but does require either Wisdom 15 or worshipping Shar. If you're taking it, I strongly recommend taking the first level of Shadow Adept at 5th level. It will delay you getting your second Advanced Learning until level eight and let you pick up a 4th level spell like shadow conjuration.

nedz
2013-08-22, 05:57 PM
I have been looking at a martial Beguiler, but it's still a WIP.

One thing I have worked out is that you can grab some some useful spells via Arcane Disciple
Glory domain: Bless Weapon[2], Holy Sword[5]
Pride domain: Divine Power[4]
Strength domain: Enlarge Person[1], Rightous Might[5], Stoneskin[6]

All available from the Pelor-Mart

Since these are all 1/day this is strictly a nova option, and you would need to boost your Wisdom (Just buy an item).

DMM Persist is possible via Sacred Exorcist, but this will cost 4 feats for starters.
Iluminum can get you a free persist 1/day.

Thus stuff does all work a lot better with Duskblade though.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-23, 04:12 AM
I have been looking at a martial Beguiler, but it's still a WIP.

One thing I have worked out is that you can grab some some useful spells via Arcane Disciple
Glory domain: Bless Weapon[2], Holy Sword[5]
Pride domain: Divine Power[4]
Strength domain: Enlarge Person[1], Rightous Might[5], Stoneskin[6]

All available from the Pelor-Mart

Since these are all 1/day this is strictly a nova option, and you would need to boost your Wisdom (Just buy an item).

DMM Persist is possible via Sacred Exorcist, but this will cost 4 feats for starters.
Iluminum can get you a free persist 1/day.

Thus stuff does all work a lot better wih Duskblade though.

Yeah I know Duskblade is better, but a Beguiler is much funnier to play.
The problem with Arcane Disciple and the domains is that I should choose Shar's domains (because of Shadow Weave Magic): Knowledge, Evil, Cavern or Darkness.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-23, 07:48 AM
If you grab extend spell, Mastery of Faerie Enchantment (PGtE) is worth it. Free Extend on all your enchantments is nice.

Also, Shadow Weave Magic was updated in PGtF. It no longer reduces your Wisdom but does require either Wisdom 15 or worshipping Shar. If you're taking it, I strongly recommend taking the first level of Shadow Adept at 5th level. It will delay you getting your second Advanced Learning until level eight and let you pick up a 4th level spell like shadow conjuration.

It was updated? Well, even so, I think it's ok with the wis penalty because it allows you to go on a personal adventure to regain wis (and to gain more xp).

One quick thought however, what about grabing Steady Concentration as the feat at level 6 (can take 10 on Concentration checks) and Mobile Spell Casting as the 9th level feat (can cast and move as standard action with Concentratioin check I'd pass without rolling).

Is it a good investment spending 2 feats in practically gaining a move action everytime I cast a spell?

nedz
2013-08-23, 10:34 AM
It was updated? Well, even so, I think it's ok with the wis penalty because it allows you to go on a personal adventure to regain wis (and to gain more xp).

One quick thought however, what about grabbing Steady Concentration as the feat at level 6 (can take 10 on Concentration checks) and Mobile Spell Casting as the 9th level feat (can cast and move as standard action with Concentration check I'd pass without rolling).

Is it a good investment spending 2 feats in practically gaining a move action every time I cast a spell?

It's probably a bad way to spend your feats. I've never seen anyone do this even in Core only - Mid Op.
Just cast Expeditious Retreat instead or, later, Fly.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-24, 06:29 AM
It's probably a bad way to spend your feats. I've never seen anyone do this even in Core only - Mid Op.
Just cast Expeditious Retreat instead or, later, Fly.

Ok. Decided. If it's not an unwise choice, Sculpt Spell will be.