PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Sorcerer Build [3.5]

Tokuhara
2013-08-22, 03:47 PM
This is more of a theorycraft build, but it's been something that's interested me.

I had a cool mental image today at work of an Aasimar Sorcerer who took every Celestial-themed feat and some Exalted for good measure. Now I know that the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage [PH2] line and the Celestial Bloodline [RoF] tree aren't the most optimal feat lines (and a hair feat intensive to be honest), but is there a way to be a LG Aasimar Sorcerer who's themed around "becoming an Archon" and is still semi-optimized?

I know that Sorcerer 1-20 doesn't do what I'd need, but with so few PrCs themed around Celestial Blooded PCs (printed at least), then what are the options for a LG Exalted Aasimar Celestial Sorcerer so he can emulate an Archon?

satorian
2013-08-22, 04:30 PM
I'd suggest asking your DM if could reflavor some of the dragon-themes prestige classes and feats to be celestial. I wanted to do the same thing a few years ago, but there is very little printed for celestial sorcerers compared to dragons.

First, be a lesser aasimar. You don't want the hit to caster level. Or if you do take a hit to caster level, do it for a good reflavored one-level-loss prestige class like Dracolexi, reflavored around an idea of the Divine Word or something.

Larkas
2013-08-22, 04:31 PM
Hmmm, take a look at the Celestial Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium. More spells are always a good thing. Apart from that, I'd try back porting PF's Sorcerer and take the Celestial lineage.

Tokuhara
2013-08-22, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, take a look at the Celestial Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium. More spells are always a good thing. Apart from that, I'd try back porting PF's Sorcerer and take the Celestial lineage.

It's a hot feat, especially with Celestial Sorcerer Heritage and maybe Servant of Heaven.

And I don't want to homebrew too hard, though most definitely Celestial Bloodline and Outsider Wings are a must.

So thus far, we have the following feats available (minus Celestial Flight, which < Outsider Wings)

Celestial Bloodline [DMC]
Celestial Bloodline [RoF]
Celestial Sorcerer Heritage [PH2]
Outsider Wings [RoF]
Celestial Light [DMC]
Celestial Sorcerer Aura [PH2]
Light to Daylight [RoF]
Celestial Sorcerer Lance [PH2]
Celestial Lore [PH2]
Eyes of Light [RoF]

So from this compiled list (skipping PlH's Celestial Heritage and Improved Extraplanar Heritage, because they're both made of fail), which ones aren't crap?

Urpriest
2013-08-22, 04:51 PM
Exalted Arcanist from Book of Exalted Deeds gives you lots of spells known, I'd definitely go for that.

Tokuhara
2013-08-22, 04:58 PM
Exalted Arcanist from Book of Exalted Deeds gives you lots of spells known, I'd definitely go for that.

Most definitely, and Celestial Mystic 2 if it can be squeezed in (Celestial and Archon) spells.

And to explain, the theme is that this guy wants to become a full-fledged celestial (I know that technically, it's impossible, but let him dream) and with a willing DM, the final dungeon has him turn into a Celestial (likely an Archon-type celestial) and really feel like a proper endpoint for the PC

Greenish
2013-08-22, 05:19 PM
Celestial Bloodline [DMC]
Celestial Bloodline [RoF]
Celestial Sorcerer Heritage [PH2]
Outsider Wings [RoF]
Celestial Light [DMC]
Celestial Sorcerer Aura [PH2]
Light to Daylight [RoF]
Celestial Sorcerer Lance [PH2]
Celestial Lore [PH2]
Eyes of Light [RoF]

So from this compiled list (skipping PlH's Celestial Heritage and Improved Extraplanar Heritage, because they're both made of fail), which ones aren't crap?DMC's Celestial Bloodline gives you a bunch of decent spells known, which is always nice for a sorcerer.

RoF's Celestial Bloodline isn't that good, especially if you took DMC's version which adds Protection from (and Magic Circle against) Evil to your spells known.

Celestial Sorcerer Heritage provides a tiny amount of resistances and adds Protection from Evil to your spells known. Meh. Of the rest of the feat chain, Lance is okay if you want to blast (as Supernatural ability, you don't provoke and SR doesn't matter), Lore gets you a bit of utility on your spell list (but you're better off getting Belt of Wide Earth for Teleport), and the others are meh.

Outsider Wings are slow (for flight) and only average maneuverability, but do save you spells or magic items, work in AMF, and look cool. Check with your DM on whether Celestial Bloodline from DMC qualifies you.

Celestial Light… well, how much Light do you need? You've even got Darkvision, for Tiamat's sake!

Light to Daylight. Meh. You can cast Daylight if you took Celestial Bloodline (DMC).

Eyes of Light. Searing Light 1/day as an SLA. Meh, you get Searing Light on your spell list if you save the feat for entry requirements and go for Exalted Arcanist.

nedz
2013-08-22, 05:44 PM
Since you have a divine flavour to your character you could consider taking Arcane Disciple, perhaps even a few times. This gives you more spells known albeit 1/day each. It does make you twin stated to a degree because you now need wisdom.

Tokuhara
2013-08-22, 06:01 PM
DMC's Celestial Bloodline gives you a bunch of decent spells known, which is always nice for a sorcerer.

RoF's Celestial Bloodline isn't that good, especially if you took DMC's version which adds Protection from (and Magic Circle against) Evil to your spells known.

Celestial Sorcerer Heritage provides a tiny amount of resistances and adds Protection from Evil to your spells known. Meh. Of the rest of the feat chain, Lance is okay if you want to blast (as Supernatural ability, you don't provoke and SR doesn't matter), Lore gets you a bit of utility on your spell list (but you're better off getting Belt of Wide Earth for Teleport), and the others are meh.

Outsider Wings are slow (for flight) and only average maneuverability, but do save you spells or magic items, work in AMF, and look cool. Check with your DM on whether Celestial Bloodline from DMC qualifies you.

Celestial Light… well, how much Light do you need? You've even got Darkvision, for Tiamat's sake!

Light to Daylight. Meh. You can cast Daylight if you took Celestial Bloodline (DMC).

Eyes of Light. Searing Light 1/day as an SLA. Meh, you get Searing Light on your spell list if you save the feat for entry requirements and go for Exalted Arcanist.

Well, with Eyes of Light, you burn a daily Light for it, so Celestial Light + Light to Daylight gives you 8/day Searing Light

Celestial Heritage is a feat tax, much like Cooperative Spellcasting for MotAO. It's not awesome, but it opens up Outsider Wings, which is actually quite good (for a feat)

The Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feats are ok when you compare them to the Infernal, which is a joke.

And as for Light to Daylight, it's not the daylight spell I care about. +2/day is the big selling point. Almost enough to suck up Magic in the Blood, Light to Daylight, Celestial Bloodline [DMC], Celestial Light, and Eyes of Light for 10/day Searing Light

Greenish
2013-08-22, 06:14 PM
Well, with Eyes of Light, you burn a daily Light for it, so Celestial Light + Light to Daylight gives you 8/day Searing Light.The feat specifies you can only shoot the Searing Light 1/day. It also costs a use of the Light SLA, but as written having more uses of that doesn't get you more uses of EoL.

Celestial Heritage is a feat tax, much like Cooperative Spellcasting for MotAO. It's not awesome, but it opens up Outsider Wings, which is actually quite good (for a feat)I think you meant Celestial Bloodline, not Heritage, here.

The Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feats are ok when you compare them to the Infernal, which is a joke."Better than Infernal Sorcerer Heritage" doesn't necessarily mean they're OK.

And as for Light to Daylight, it's not the daylight spell I care about. +2/day is the big selling point. Almost enough to suck up Magic in the Blood, Light to Daylight, Celestial Bloodline [DMC], Celestial Light, and Eyes of Light for 10/day Searing LightI doubt that'd be worth it even if it worked that way.