PDA

View Full Version : Tough love and extreme corporal punishment

Mad Humanist
2013-08-22, 04:57 PM
Clearly Tarquin killed Nale partly because Nale unwittingly asked him to and partly for the cohesion of his team. However I reckon Tarquin will now secure the body and have it resurrected. Of course Nale may refuse knowing who is doing the resurrecting, but it puts Nale in the position of "teaching his son a lesson". As such this could just be viewed as a strong version of corporal punishment only slightly worse than being confined to his bedroom with no access to the internet.

sr123
2013-08-22, 05:24 PM
Interesting idea, but I think Nale's done for at least the next book.

I wonder if at some point The Giant will resurrect a recurring hero/villain based solely on the fan outcry, as many many serial authors have done throughout history (Sherlock Holmes, Sylar from Heroes, etc). Perhaps he has done so already?

(Just in case, my outcry vote: Miko maybe; Nale no.)

Kid Jake
2013-08-22, 05:31 PM
Clearly Tarquin killed Nale partly because Nale unwittingly asked him to and partly for the cohesion of his team. However I reckon Tarquin will now secure the body and have it resurrected. Of course Nale may refuse knowing who is doing the resurrecting, but it puts Nale in the position of "teaching his son a lesson". As such this could just be viewed as a strong version of corporal punishment only slightly worse than being confined to his bedroom with no access to the internet.

Being a high level parent in D&D could get interesting fast.

"That's it young man, I've warned you. You're grounded! Let's see how you like spending the weekend in Hell."

hoff
2013-08-22, 05:52 PM
You know this is starting to smell like a big showdown of awesomeness forming with all the dead characters coming back to kick ass. Imagine Miko, the Saphire Guard, Right Eye, Belkar, the Draketooth family, Father & Grandfather Greenhilt, Soon, Durokan, Sereni (maybe Kragoor) coming back for an epic showdown against the Snarl (presumably after he destroyed the world making the distinction between being alive or dead moot).

Snails
2013-08-22, 05:57 PM
Being a high level parent in D&D could get interesting fast.

"That's it young man, I've warned you. You're grounded! Let's see how you like spending the weekend in Hell."

Do. Not. Drink. Soda. While reading this. :smallbiggrin:

The truly stubborn child will refuse to return to the land of the living, unless the parent personally visits Hell to mend the fences, first.

Sylian
2013-08-22, 06:22 PM
Right EyeI don't think he could, due to old age.

SowZ
2013-08-22, 08:17 PM
Right eye didn't die of old age. He could come back, he would just die in the next year or so, most likely. Also, the whole finality of Tarquin accepting that he could never control/have a relationship with Nale makes raising him a waste of time. Tarquin may not go through extra lengths to keep Nale from being resurrected as he would with most of his enemies, though, and a part of him might secretly hope Nale is raised.

137beth
2013-08-22, 08:25 PM
You know this is starting to smell like a big showdown of awesomeness forming with all the dead characters coming back to kick ass. Imagine Miko, the Saphire Guard, Right Eye, Belkar, the Draketooth family, Father & Grandfather Greenhilt, Soon, Durokan, Sereni (maybe Kragoor) coming back for an epic showdown against the Snarl (presumably after he destroyed the world making the distinction between being alive or dead moot).

Serini may or may not be dead (yet).
Belkar is most certainly not dead.
Soon could not come back--old age. Same goes for Eugene and Horace.

halfeye
2013-08-22, 08:52 PM
There was a film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taras_Bulba

Where the same sort of thing happened.