PDA

View Full Version : Steal Spell vs. Erudite spell to power ACF?

Ointhedwarf
2013-08-22, 05:21 PM
One of the players in my campaign is playing an elan erudite with the convert spell to power ACF (which I must say is the buggiest build I have come across) and I'm wondering whether in this case, since he is casting an arcane spell, a spellthief could use his ability to steal the arcane spell if it is one the erudite's unique spells.

Segev
2013-08-22, 05:25 PM
I believe that, specifically, Erudites using that ACF do convert them to powers.

Oddly, this DOES mean that the Spellthief can use his "Steal Spell-like Ability" power on it, since Psionic Powers are explicitly Spell-Like Abilities.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-22, 05:25 PM
The answer is 'yes', for two differing conditions: Either psi/mag transparency allows it to be stolen at an equivalent level to the spell; or the spellthief takes the Psithief feat.

Ointhedwarf
2013-08-22, 05:31 PM
where exactly does it say that powers are spell-like abilities? :smallconfused:

I didn't know about the psithief feat, thanks

Fax Celestis
2013-08-22, 05:35 PM
Combining Psionic And Magical Effects
The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.
The use of the word normal here is a strong indicator that these are abnormal spell-like abilities.

Segev
2013-08-22, 05:35 PM
Hrm. I can't find it in the SRD right now, so I could be mis-remembering. I am fairly sure it mentions that powers are spell-like abilities in the XPH when it describes them on a basic level.

If I'm wrong, I apologize for the misinformation.

Ointhedwarf
2013-08-22, 05:55 PM
no no sry, I was just curious because I couldn't find it anywhere :smallbiggrin:

So if they are considered spell-like abilities what's the point of the feat? and also, does feat imply you can use powers? otherwise what are you supposed to do with the stolen powerpoints?

tyckspoon
2013-08-22, 08:07 PM
Hrm. I can't find it in the SRD right now, so I could be mis-remembering. I am fairly sure it mentions that powers are spell-like abilities in the XPH when it describes them on a basic level.

If I'm wrong, I apologize for the misinformation.

It actually calls them psi-like abilities, which is weird and should probably be ignored, because Psi-Like Abilities have some unique traits that are clearly *not* how normal psionic powers are supposed to work. (Chief among them is that psi-likes are automatically and freely augmented up to the manifester's HD. Normal power manifestations.. aren't supposed to be.)

Psyren
2013-08-22, 09:57 PM
Powers are not SLAs or spells, thus normally, Spellthieves can't get them. Fax's suggestion of the Psithief will work though.

Note there is also an adaptation to let them steal powers without needing a feat, on CAdv 20. The same sidebar recommends creating an entire Psithief class, which I fully support since it means another Cha-based manifester, but creating it would have to be done from scratch.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-22, 10:57 PM
Powers are not SLAs or spells, thus normally, Spellthieves can't get them. Fax's suggestion of the Psithief will work though.

Note there is also an adaptation to let them steal powers without needing a feat, on CAdv 20. The same sidebar recommends creating an entire Psithief class, which I fully support since it means another Cha-based manifester, but creating it would have to be done from scratch.

Somebody should make a cryptic archetype. *wink wink nudge nudge*