PDA

View Full Version : Exemplar 2.0 (Class)

StickMan
2006-12-18, 04:03 PM
Exemplar 2.0
This class I working on is what I consider at least to be the classic hero in the idea of Indiana Jones, Doctor Who, and others who do not fit fully into the core classes. This class is a little Rouge, Palidin and Monk shaked and stired.
Exemplar

BAB 3/4
Fort Low
Ref. High
Will High
Hit die: d8

Class Skills: Craft, Profesion plus Skill backrounds.

1 Bonus Feat, Skill Backrounds, Trapfinding
2 Evasion, Wisdom Armor
3 Sneak Attack 1d6, Trap Sense +1
4 Uncanny Dodge
5 Heroic Grace, Bonus Feat
6 TS +2
7 Sneak Attack 2d6
8 Improved Uncany dodge
9 TS +3, Heroic Luck 1/day
10 Specal ability, bonus feat
11 Sneak Attack 3d6
12 TS +4
13 Specal ability, Heroic Luck 2/day
15 TS +5, Bonus Feat
16 Specal ability
17 Heroic Luck 3/day
18 TS +6
19 Sneak Attack 5d6,Specal ability
20 Bonus Feat

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Exemplars are proficient with Simple weapons and Light Armor.

Skill Backrounds: At first Level a Exemplar picks 7 groups of skills to become his class skills.
Husler- Appraise, Bluff, Forgery, Sleight of Hand.
Athlete- Balance, Climb, Jump Swim, Tumble.
Arcanist- Concentration, spellcraft, Use Magical Device, Knowledge (Arcane).
Languist- Decipher Script, Speak Language, Knowledge (history).
Infiltrator- Use Rope,, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Lock.
Sneak- Disquise, Hide, Move Silently
Diplomat- Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Knowledge (Nobility), Perform (Oratory).
Streatman- Gather Information, Intimadate, Knowledge (Local), Perform (Any)
Surviror- Handle Animal, Heal, Ride, Survival, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography).
Bookworm- Knowledge (All).
Opservent- Listen, Search, Spot, Knowledge (Architeture and Enginering).

Wisdom Armor: A Exemplar may add his wisdom bonus to armor class. He or She may only do so if they are wearing light armor with no Armor Class Penalty.

Bonus Feat: A Exemplar gains a feat at first level from the following list. Combat Expertise, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Two-Weapon fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Martial Weapon Proficiency.
Trapfinding: as Rogue
Evasion: As Monk
Sneak Attack: as Rogue
Trap Sense: as Rogue
Uncanny Dodge: As Rogue
Improved Uncanny Dodge: As Rogue
Specal ability: As Rogue
Heroic Grace: same as Divine Grace but can not be used as Divine Grace to get feats or class abilities.
Heroic Luck: A Exemplar may reroll one failed roll at 9th level and once more every 4 levels.

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 04:04 PM
I am thinking "change the name". There is already another Exemplar class.

Balance-wise, don't ask me. Others will be here to help you soon enough.

StickMan
2006-12-18, 04:07 PM
It would be taken. Darn you Wizards of the coast stealing all the good class names. I'll worry about that later though.

enderrocksonall
2006-12-19, 02:58 AM
I cant talk about balance, and this is just an observation off the top of my head, but how is this any better than multiclassing pally/rogue? Nothing on this character is something you cant get from multiclassing those 2 classes except wis armor. Not to mention the fact that multiclassing will get you a lot of these abilities like 5-7 levels faster than this class.

Apart from that think of the rolls your character would have to have to be effective in this class. High wis for the armor, high cha for the saves thing, high dex for the roguey abilities. And str and con arent really the best dump stats in the world, which leaves int. Somehow the archetypal Indiana Jones doesn't seem to have a low int.

Lastly, for the skill backgrounds, did you really mean that they get to pick 7 of those 12 groups? Or do they just get to pick one group and you originally had 7 groups listed? Personally the first possibilities gives them literally almost every skill as a class skill, and the second gives them far too few.

For suggestions:
1. Maybe make the "cha bonus to saves bit" into the classic divine grace and give it at a higher lvl than 2, say lvl 5 or 7.

2. You start the class with a bonus feat but we never see them again. Perhaps bring them back at every 5th level the way a wizard gets them.

3. the class seems to lean way toward rogue with few paladin or monk characteristics. perhaps you could trade the uncanny dodge or trap sense for turn undead/smite and fast movement/slow fall. Of course these abilities would have to be nerfed a bit from their undiluted class forms but it would balance the appearance of a rogue that took 2 levels of pally and 1 level of monk.

4. you neglected to put in improved evasion. If you're going to give evasion at 2nd lvl improved evasion should come in at some point. Say around lvl 10 for this class.

5. to make things simple i would just give these guys the rogue skills and maybe a bonus class skill for high int. Maybe not that last part but its just easier than making them specialized rogues.

Don't take all this criticism badly, I love the character concept, and its always easier for us to pick stuff apart than to come up with it ourselves.

StickMan
2006-12-19, 10:51 AM
Enderrocksonall That was just what I was looking for.
1. I think your right about divine grace.
2. I was thinking of giving more feats.
3. I don't know what else I'm going to add to this but I'm going to avoid many of the monk/palidin abiltys becasue they are far to supernatural for my idea. Also I do want it to lean toward rogue becasue I feel that it is a very rogueish class.
4. Impoved eveasion is in the rogue special abilities.
5. The skill list is to show the the endless ways that people come into this class. Also most groups have about 4 skills in them so picking 7 groups plus the craft and profesion you get alittle over 30 skills wich is the same number as the rogue.

Working on new improvements now. I can make it stronger, faster, more powerfull. I have the sorce books.

Exemplar 2.0 after this.

StickMan
2006-12-21, 10:35 AM
Bump. Come on No one has anything to say about this I could real use some help.

XtheYeti
2006-12-21, 12:51 PM
Not powerful enough, dont know how to fix him though

enderrocksonall
2006-12-21, 06:50 PM
Why dont you make multiclass characters combining the classes you want and then find the specific features you want to include. Find the character levels that you get these features and then move them up a level in your creation. That way you make it better to use the core class as opposed to multiclassing.

StickMan
2006-12-22, 10:01 PM
Not powerful enough, dont know how to fix him though

Could you tell me what is not powerful enough abot the class then.