PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spiked Gauntlet Shenanigans

Joe the Rat
2013-08-22, 08:22 PM
Hey all. I have taken a leave of my senses and want to build a character around wielding spiked gauntlets.

What sort of build would make this workable?

Assume 28 point buy, no Tome of Battle or ___scape books. Let's run it up to 10 and see what we get.

Any takers?

Vizzerdrix
2013-08-22, 08:28 PM
Umm... What about a Shifter with the insectile template. With Cloistered Cleric 1/Barbarian whatever into runescarred Beserker?

Plenty of full attacks and self buffs.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-22, 08:29 PM
melee without TOB? What kind of party are you thinking this might be in?

Urpriest
2013-08-22, 08:30 PM
Spiked Gauntlets don't deal unarmed strike damage, so basically they're just light, simple piercing weapons.

You've basically got two options: build a character who can effectively use spiked gauntlets, or the harder goal of building a character who has a reason to use spiked gauntlets.

For the latter goal, spiked gauntlets arguably keep your hands free, so a TWFing caster might make sense. Go for a standard build like Spellthief 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5 for a decent pile of sneak attack to encourage TWF and somatic-heavy casting to encourage wearing spiked gauntlets.

Otherwise, it's just another light weapon and you might as well TWF with it with some source of bonus damage. It would work with pretty much any TWF build.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-22, 09:54 PM
Go Spellthief 1/ Psion 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9, get Mind Cripple from Psychic Assassin and use TWF. When you sneak attack you deal 2 Int damage, so you'll be punching them stupid. Best of all if someone is reduced to Int 0 they go into a coma, so even if you're dealing minimal hp damage you can easily disable the biggest opponents in a single full attack.

mattie_p
2013-08-22, 10:08 PM
Why not be something with claws? Use the Beast Claws from Savage Species p 49. You do normal claw damage + 1d6, and the items count as +2 weapons. Just be a totemist or something, + Barb, go into totem rager.

SoraWolf7
2013-08-22, 11:04 PM
I don't know if you're up for spellcasters, but Osteomancers get the ability to make their own spiked gauntlets out of bone that eventually cover DR for adamantine, cold iron, and magic.

Averis Vol
2013-08-23, 12:31 AM
I don't know if you're up for spellcasters, but Osteomancers get the ability to make their own spiked gauntlets out of bone that eventually cover DR for adamantine, cold iron, and magic.

I dont have anything to contribute, I just wanted to say thats death metal as hell.

Joe the Rat
2013-08-23, 10:51 AM
I was curious if anyone had some unusual approaches to the question.

You've basically got two options: build a character who can effectively use spiked gauntlets, or the harder goal of building a character who has a reason to use spiked gauntlets.

For the latter goal, spiked gauntlets arguably keep your hands free, so a TWFing caster might make sense. Go for a standard build like Spellthief 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5 for a decent pile of sneak attack to encourage TWF and somatic-heavy casting to encourage wearing spiked gauntlets.Aw... now you've gone and tried to make it rational. This is clever. It also fits with my general philosophy that any good wizard duel should end with a fistfight.

Go Spellthief 1/ Psion 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9, get Mind Cripple from Psychic Assassin and use TWF. When you sneak attack you deal 2 Int damage, so you'll be punching them stupid. Best of all if someone is reduced to Int 0 they go into a coma, so even if you're dealing minimal hp damage you can easily disable the biggest opponents in a single full attack.

Now I want to punch a Hill Giant in the knee until he passes out.

I don't know if you're up for spellcasters, but Osteomancers get the ability to make their own spiked gauntlets out of bone that eventually cover DR for adamantine, cold iron, and magic.Yeah, very metal.

Samalpetey
2013-08-23, 11:28 AM

Also, they cover any alignment the caster has, as well as doubling as armor spikes

nickia
2013-08-25, 11:44 PM
An Osteomancer can cause his bones to protrude from his skin creating natural spiked gauntlets that function as silver, cold iron, and adamantine for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.