PDA

View Full Version : Scarred witch doctor

Winds of Nagual
2013-08-22, 08:42 PM
Hello all!

I am about to enter a homebrew campaign and I am considering the scarred witch doctor. The GM has warned me that we will be facing a lot of undead with charm/enchantment immunities. I love the flavour but I don't want to be overly hamstrung. Is Mono Tiki Tia viable in this setting?

Psyren
2013-08-22, 09:44 PM
Witches are heavy on mind-affecting so your DM was likely not-so-subtly warning you that you might end up a bit sidelined when it comes to those foes.

But, there is still plenty Witches can do vs. undead. For instance, summoning is a standby for any witch, and several hexes (e.g. Fortune and Ward) work very well on summons. Witches also get a handful of useful control spells that work on undead, like Web or Fog Cloud.

Scarred Witch Doctors have the additional standby of gishing - since your casting stat is also a physical stat, you can do quite well in melee, and thus be able to handle threats that your charms can't normally affect reliably. For this choice, the right patron is crucial - the best choices buff your physical ability, with two standouts being Strength and Transformation.

Finally, if you want to be a pure caster (not gishing) and don't like the idea of summoning or BFC, there are a couple more options available depending on the patron you select. You can tailor your build to target undead directly, using a patron like Plague or Occult. You can go for a blasty approach with Elements, Winter or Shadows. Or you can even just sit out the undead fights with Deception and let the party handle it.

TL;DR: Witches are T1 for a reason, you've got tons of options.