PDA

View Full Version : Artificier in E6

ko_sct
2013-08-22, 09:02 PM
How well does artificers works in E6 ?

I ask because I had an idea for a a setting in which mages didn't cast spells an such, instead, they would summon and force spirits/demons/elementals to do their binding or into objects for them to use.

So, collegiate mages would call scrolls ''contract'' because they payed/bribed/forced a spirit to give them a single (or many) use of their power.

So, artificer work pretty much like the idea I had for mages in my head, but how do they work in E6 ? Do they break everything ? Are they far less good because xp is not a river anymore and when they spend xp, they generally spend it for good ?

P.S. In the setting I had in mind, most spell-casters would be artificers, not just mages, but alchemist too and at least 2 kind of priest would be. There would still be clerics/shaman/sorcerer/else, but they would be far rarer and wouldn't form huge organizations

P.P.S. I was also considering using something a system akin to pathfinder where creating magic items only cost money, time & a skill check (and the appropriate creation feat of course), thoughts ? opinions ?

Tvtyrant
2013-08-22, 11:09 PM
It depends on how you decide E6 works. If they are able to get access to fourth level spells due to their +2CL then they will probably break the game. If they are playing in a world that has no fourth level spells then they are merely very strong.

Crake
2013-08-23, 12:02 AM
xp is still a river in e6, you continue to accrue xp after you hit 6th level, it just means you're trading feats for gear really.

Yogibear41
2013-08-23, 12:06 AM
You could always house rule that every time the artificer gets enough xp for a new feat his craft reserve could go back up to full for level 6.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-23, 09:45 AM
They do well with the ability to make temporary items out of mundane gear. The ability to always have the right 3rd level spell in a one charge wand is powerful.

Mix that in with crafting constructs and eternal wands, and you have a lot of very nice power in a neat little package.