PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Crafting Wondrous Items

Kazehito
2013-08-23, 12:31 AM
For crafting a wondrous item, such as 'Headband of Mental Prowess +2', the requirements are: Craft Wondrous Item, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, owl's wisdom (any two); Cost 5,000 gp (+2). It also says in the entry at the top that its Caster Level 12. Is that just what the level is if you find it, or are you required to be that level to create it. Also, what exactly would be the Spellcraft DC to create this if you have the craft wondrous item feat, and all of the spell prerequisites. Thanks to all of you for the help.

TuggyNE
2013-08-23, 12:48 AM
For crafting a wondrous item, such as 'Headband of Mental Prowess +2', the requirements are: Craft Wondrous Item, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, owl's wisdom (any two); Cost 5,000 gp (+2). It also says in the entry at the top that its Caster Level 12. Is that just what the level is if you find it, or are you required to be that level to create it. Also, what exactly would be the Spellcraft DC to create this if you have the craft wondrous item feat, and all of the spell prerequisites. Thanks to all of you for the help.

CL is not a prerequisite in 3.5; PF I believe is the same. Instead, the listed CL is just how you find it/craft it, even if your CL is lower than that.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-23, 06:33 AM
Additionally, you don't need to make a Spellcraft check to craft magic items. You simply spend the time and pay the costs.

Occasional Sage
2013-08-23, 07:42 AM
Additionally, you don't need to make a Spellcraft check to craft magic items. You simply spend the time and pay the costs.

Perhaps.

Are you playing 3.5, or PF?

Kazehito
2013-08-23, 08:08 AM
This is inside of Pathfinder, and I thought there was a check. From what I saw it was something like 5 +5 more for requirements you dont have. I think I had seen that somewhere. One of our guys was doing craft wondrous item, and I was taking craft magical arms and armor. We are on the slow XP path and our DM isnt throwing too many magical items our way. As a side question on the craft magical arms and armor, do you happen to know what check I need to make to add +1 to weapons or armor? I think its negligible, but I wanted to check and see if anyone knew. Thanks.

Keneth
2013-08-23, 08:44 AM
The Spellcraft check DC is 5 + CL + 5 for every req you don't provide (baring obligatory ones).

The CL is actually not a requirement for the vast majority of items, it only determines the DC of crafting that item. When the CL is a requirement, it is listed in the Requirements section and can be foregone just like other requirements.

Segev
2013-08-23, 08:55 AM
Isn't there still generally a minimum CL at which an item must be crafted? I can't imagine you could, for instance, craft a CL 1 Robe of Eyes.

Keneth
2013-08-23, 09:01 AM
Most magic items have a fixed CL. The minimum is generally the minimum CL required to cast the highest level required spell.

Segev
2013-08-23, 09:06 AM
Ah, okay. So you CAN make a Robe of Eyes at a lower level, it's just going to be a high Spellcraft DC, and its CL will still be higher than your actual level, but that's fine if you can pull it off?

Keneth
2013-08-23, 09:25 AM
Correct. :smallsmile:

Segev
2013-08-23, 10:53 AM
I have to say, that I think this means I have justification to craft skeletons and zombies as wondrous items as soon as I reach the minimum 3rd CL to get CWI.

Evidence: Robe of Bones. I can craft that, and then peel the patches off to create the undead. Crafting the undead directly is not only just following the same price guidelines and cutting out the middle-step for flavor purposes, but is entirely in-flavor for a minionmancer who wants to turn corpses into minions. Sure, before 7th level, he has to resort to extended rituals with expensive components, but he can DO it.

Now, I just need a means to get minions from corpses (I find "summoning" them unsatisfying in the extreme, not the least because it's a not even a Necromancy spell that does it) at level 1...

Psyren
2013-08-23, 11:02 AM
As others have said, the CL on an item is NOT the CL needed to craft it. You don't need to be 17th level to make a level 1 pearl of power. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/pearl-of-power)

Note that that page also has the crafting rules clarification posted a while back by the devs - it should help you with questions like these.

Keneth
2013-08-23, 11:08 AM
I think this means I have justification to craft skeletons and zombies as wondrous items

I wouldn't actually say no if a player proposed that to me, but I might be inclined to make a new feat for that specific purpose.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-23, 12:04 PM
You can't really make creatures with Craft Wondrous Item, but you can make Bone Golems and Flesh Golems with Craft Construct.

Kazehito
2013-08-23, 12:27 PM
The ''Headband of Mental Prowess +2' is 10,000 gp base price and 5,000 gp to create. Using the formula tis looks to take 10 days to create with 1 day for each 1,000 in the base cost. Is there anyway to speed up this process by adding 5 to the DC or any other means, or is it just going to take 10 days?

Keneth
2013-08-23, 12:38 PM
This process can be accelerated to 4 hours of work per 1,000 gp in the item's base price (or fraction thereof) by increasing the DC to create the item by 5.

So that's a yes.

Segev
2013-08-23, 12:50 PM
You can't really make creatures with Craft Wondrous Item, but you can make Bone Golems and Flesh Golems with Craft Construct.

Actually, you can, just with less pleasing flavor. As I said, you can make a Robe of Bones. Then peel off the patches and make the creatures.