PDA

View Full Version : How strong of an ability is it to automatically confirm criticle hits?

CyberThread
2013-08-23, 12:35 AM
So am putting together a build, and against a certain type of folk , I can get automatic confirmation with criticle hits.

How powerful is such a factor really , for everyday combat?

SolioFebalas
2013-08-23, 12:53 AM
Depends on how often you score a critical hits and how often you fight your selected foe. If you're fighting constantly with your selected foes, take weapon with high crit range + keen enchantment or improved critical feat + blood in the water stance and give them a bloodbath.

Rubik
2013-08-23, 02:55 AM
[edit] Sorry. I mixed the OP up with that of another thread. They each have identical avatars, and I got confused. My apologies.

BlasphemousSlug
2013-08-23, 03:34 AM
Um Rubik... you're in the wrong thread :smalltongue:

Gwendol
2013-08-23, 03:39 AM
So am putting together a build, and against a certain type of folk , I can get automatic confirmation with criticle hits.

It depends on the build, but in general not very. It represents hitting the same target twice, or thrice using certain weapons.

TuggyNE
2013-08-23, 03:43 AM

It's about twice as good as half of a first-level min/level spell (bless weapon, which auto-confirms against evil foes). So not very powerful.

Person_Man
2013-08-23, 08:10 AM
It increases your average expected damage, especially against high AC enemies (who are the most likely to be "missed" when you try to confirm). I could run through a bunch of examples for you (the exact outcomes depend on your enemy's AC, your to-hit modifier, how many attacks you get, your average damage, and your crit threat range and multiplier). But the short version is that it's not that big of a deal unless you have a crit fishing build with a ton of attacks. And even then, it's fairly easy to get absurd damage numbers without critical hits.

The Viscount
2013-08-23, 09:13 AM
For more perspective, the Flesh Ring of Scorn allows for auto-confirmation against everything except outsiders, so to do it only against a certain type isn't that powerful.

Now that I think about it, auto-confirmation might actually make some of the X burst weapon properties worth it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-23, 09:31 AM
On a few key builds it would be powerful. On anything else it wouldn't even be noticeable.

angry_bear
2013-08-23, 09:34 AM
Combined with a weapon that has a high crit range, and crit dependent weapon enhancements, it'd be fairly effective. If you're going the two weapon fighting route, then it's even better. If you can work in power attack, you'll be dealing really nice damage since your high crit range means you don't need an attack bonus to hit, or even to confirm the critical threat.

erikun
2013-08-23, 10:43 AM
Bless Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWeapon.htm) is a 1st level Paladin spell that automatically confirms all critical threats against evil creatures, as long as the weapon doesn't have a magical property like keen. It's rather selective but available to Paladins at 4th level, at the earliest. This should help you make a decision about how appropriate the ability is.

Terazul
2013-08-23, 11:21 AM
Bless Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWeapon.htm) is a 1st level Paladin spell that automatically confirms all critical threats against evil creatures, as long as the weapon doesn't have a magical property like keen. It's rather selective but available to Paladins at 4th level, at the earliest. This should help you make a decision about how appropriate the ability is.

Similarly, Dolorous Blow is a 3rd level spell that doubles the weapon's threat range (a la keen), and causes all critical threats to automatically confirm, provided the weapon doesn't have any other magical enhancements relating to crit (such as x burst, etc). Available to Sorc/Wiz/Bard, and minutes/level.

Pickford
2013-08-23, 11:52 AM

Depends on if your group does or doesn't rule that threats are auto-confirmed. :smallsmile: