PDA

View Full Version : Technical help with re-installing the OLD character builder

Rakaydos
2013-08-23, 01:37 AM
I have a copy of the old DDI character builder, the one that installs on my computer. It still functions, I love it, it is amazing. My only problem is I have a newer laptop now.

I tried just dragging the Wizards folder from the one computer and dropping it into the new (windws 8, if it matters) computer, but I get an error message when I try to start it up. (the old one still works fine, so it;s not the server... I think.)

Halp?

Yakk
2013-08-23, 08:44 AM
This is a generic technique for "my program won't run when I copy its files from one system to another":

Download procmon.exe from sysinternal (google will find it -- it is a microsoft provided tool).

Monitor both the old and new program's activity (Ie, add a filter include on process name matching your executable), and see where they diverge. Probably looking at or for some registery key or something, or sometimes because some libraries are missing on one system (.net or what have you).

If there are missing DLLs or the like, figure out where you should install them from (don't just copy them over), and install them. If there are missing registry keys, use regedit (warning: dangerous program) to find them on one system, and make identical ones on the other (warning: I really mean identical, not just "looks the same", if you haven't used regedit before doing this is error prone) (warning: doing the wrong thing with regedit will break your system).

Yomega
2013-08-26, 06:23 PM
The files you are missing from the old computer are in the %appdata% folder just type in %appdata% in the run box and it will open if you have the old install file it will work better and look up cbloader for everything that has come out since the builder went 100% online

Rakaydos
2013-08-27, 03:16 AM
Thank you Yomega. I can run the Adventure Tools with no problem now, but the character builder is still giving me an error- it says "the handle is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070006 (E_HANDLE))"