PDA

View Full Version : How do you actually utilize «no aging penalties» in an actual game?

Ravitiate
2013-08-23, 03:52 AM
While we all know that the optimizing world assumes a young person growing venerable as soon as he can age without penalties, an actual game rarely, if never, spans over that long a period. That means for a PC to actually utilize this ability to full effect he has to create a high level character and fluff up how much has happened after he hit the level which granted him Timeless Body or the like. However, if you've managed to get to Druid15, Monk17 or whatever else, is there some sort of spell or item which ages you and that you can actually use in a real game?

SiuiS
2013-08-23, 03:58 AM
While we all know that the optimizing world assumes a young person growing venerable as soon as he can age without penalties, an actual game rarely, if never, spans over that long a period. That means for a PC to actually utilize this ability to full effect he has to create a high level character and fluff up how much has happened after he hit the level which granted him Timeless Body or the like. However, if you've managed to get to Druid15, Monk17 or whatever else, is there some sort of spell or item which ages you and that you can actually use in a real game?

"Upon my ascension to the role of Grand Master of Flowers, I spoke to the elements as those before me. I implored the dragons of the skies for their wisdom, and after many journeys I took the hand of a winged messenger of Agravatrya and ascended for a time to the timeless garden of flowers. There I discussed philosophy with the seven guardians of mortal wisdom, and ate of the peach of eternal flowering at the Goddess Grativniya's request, before being returned to the mortal spheres."
Kwan-Chong, monk

"Yeah, after some time we realized Kwanny wasn't pulling his weight, so we sat him down on a pilgrimage and I helped it along with a Planar Ally and had him taken to have dialogue with some faerires in a timeless and accelerated section of their home. He came back either forty years or two minutes later, depending on who you ask.

"And you know what? He's a bore. Grativniya told me, never call again. Guess I burt that bridge..."
Morrack, conjurer and party member

Zanos
2013-08-23, 03:58 AM
Plane Shifting to a plane with a faster rate of time flow, or creating one yourself via either casting genesis yourself or hiring someone to do it for you.

Alleran
2013-08-23, 07:11 AM
"Upon my ascension to the role of Grand Master of Flowers, I spoke to the elements as those before me. I implored the dragons of the skies for their wisdom, and after many journeys I took the hand of a winged messenger of Agravatrya and ascended for a time to the timeless garden of flowers. There I discussed philosophy with the seven guardians of mortal wisdom, and ate of the peach of eternal flowering at the Goddess Grativniya's request, before being returned to the mortal spheres."
Kwan-Chong, monk

"Yeah, after some time we realized Kwanny wasn't pulling his weight, so we sat him down on a pilgrimage and I helped it along with a Planar Ally and had him taken to have dialogue with some faerires in a timeless and accelerated section of their home. He came back either forty years or two minutes later, depending on who you ask.

"And you know what? He's a bore. Grativniya told me, never call again. Guess I burt that bridge..."
Morrack, conjurer and party member
I would favourite this post if I could.

Segev
2013-08-23, 08:37 AM
You know, if the "no aging penalties" character is an item crafter, getting a workshop in a time-accelerated plane might be brilliant optimization all around: he adventures at, for him, a highly leisurely pace, taking a few months between each day to get some crafting done, enjoy some sight-seeing on the temporally-accelerated plane of choice, etc. All his downtime stuff happens off-screen, and takes only a few hours a night of "real" time seen by other PCs (and only the same minutes "night" takes the party IRL for the players as a whole).

He'll age to great wisdom over a few weeks of most-PCs'-game-time.

Edit: I can't recall; are there potions of youth in D&D 3.5 or PF? I know 2e had them for 1d4+1 years off each dose, and Longevity for longer periods (but significant chance of "backfiring" that grew with each dose taken).

Rebel7284
2013-08-23, 08:51 AM
Bestow Curse and Bestow Curse greater. Also, be a dragon if you want to gain power by aging. :)

Segev
2013-08-23, 08:53 AM
Bestow Curse and Bestow Curse greater. Also, be a dragon if you want to gain power by aging. :)

...you know, Bestow Curse probably doesn't work to make somebody physically in their prime (again), but it likely WOULD be viable to curse somebody to childhood. The question is whether mentals would shift to childhood as well.

The problem with dragons gaining power by aging is that that actually requires HD and LA acquisition, from a PC's standpoint.