PDA

View Full Version : A Question on Templates and Racial Hit Dice

BlasphemousSlug
2013-08-23, 03:56 AM
Skip if you don't want backstory:
I'm running a Forgotten Realms underdark campaign and one of my players wants to create a Derro (MM pg 49) with an inherited template for the Mechanatrix (FF pg 137), and he wants me to create said template. He had a good backstory, with some very interesting roleplaying opportunities, so I'm inclined to allow it. The only problem is that I don't know what to do with the type change and the derro racial hit dice. I know that if it was an acquired then I would have the choice of allowing the racial hit dice to change, or to keep them monstrous humanoid. But it's an inherited to template so I don't know if rules wise it would give me the option, and fluff-wise it doesn't really make much sense. For balance sake I would prefer it if he remained with the monstrous humanoid hit dice, and the player doesn't know enough about the rules to notice if I keep it that way. But I want to follow the rules if I can and so I came here, to the great interpreters of the rules.

The Question:
Would applying an inherited template that changes type change the features of the base creatures racial hit dice?

AuraTwilight
2013-08-23, 04:18 AM
If a template changes the base creature’s type, the creature also acquires the augmented subtype unless the template description indicates otherwise. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. Unless a template indicates otherwise, the new creature has the traits of the new type but the features of the original type.

Does this help?

BlasphemousSlug
2013-08-23, 05:09 AM
It does, a lot. The only question now is if my template should change them or not...

I'm pretty sure that's a question for the homebrew section

Thank you though