PDA

View Full Version : Succubus Decoy

Tiiba
2013-08-23, 08:58 AM
Hey, guys.

Okay, as you all well know, I don't play DND. I just read about it a lot. Still, I went and made a monster.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Succubus_Decoy_(3.5e_Creature)

Sure, I might be talking out of my ass, but nobody will die if I screw this up. I did what I could. But the important part is that I think the background story is pretty fun.

I copied the wiki-text from the Succubus entry and tweaked it. I gave it more Charisma to carry out a long-term deception, and extra Wisdom to realistically simulate psychology that is not its own. Then I made her more fragile so I wouldn't have to change the CR.

So, is anything wrong with it? Are any stats in conflict? (I looked up a calculator to make sure everything is right.) Should there be more or different spell effects on her? Should she use a different strategy to simulate redemption? Should she be a devil? (I now realize that spending years going against everything you are requires serious discipline, and that's a lawful thing. So, erinyes?) Etc.

Debihuman
2013-08-23, 10:31 AM
Good job for your first homebrew. These are more NPCs than monsters per se as written. You should still note which languages they speak (see Angels for example with the Tongues ability). If the modifier is +0 you normally don't have to show it for bonus hit points and attack modifiers (you do normally show it for BAB/Initiative/Skills however.

There isn't a specific Knowledge (carnal/fiend) skill, but there is a Knowledge (The Planes) which covers Outsiders and should by extension cover these as well. Knowledge (carnal) seems a bit risque and more like a matter of bookkeeping (as in the little black book). I don't recommend adding new skills other than craft and profession skills.

Debby

Tiiba
2013-08-23, 11:08 AM
There isn't a specific Knowledge (carnal/fiend) skill

That was a metaphor for "seduce". Heh.

What's the difference between a monster and an NPC, in terms of what I should do?

Hanuman
2013-08-23, 02:25 PM
If you actually want to put rules for sex go read the book of erotic fantasy sourcebook, it'll help your work.

Tiiba
2013-08-23, 03:00 PM
Nah, I don't want to think about it TOO hard. Although, I guess, the decoy can prepare by bringing her own potions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0906.html), or learning to cast Death Ward.

CharityB
2013-08-23, 06:21 PM
Honestly, you could probably have devils or demons doing something like that. While devils have a better reputation for long-term, methodical planning, both types of fiends are huge fans of deception.

If you check out Fiendish Codex 1, you are introduced to chaotic-evil demons like lilitus (advanced succubi who serve demon lords). The demons specialize in infiltrating and taking over small temples devoted to good deities. They start out as ordinary churchmembers but gradually take over the temple and convert the worshipers to the secret idolization of her demon lord. The book describes them as maintaining complex webs of connected cults, with much of the work delegated to mind-controlled and deceived minions. It's pretty high-level, delicate intrigue (similar to what your succubus decoys do, except with organizations instead of individual people) and these chaotic-evil demons handle it just fine.

So, yeah, there's good precedent for what you're trying to do within the context of demons, so don't feel like you have to make any major changes or even change the alignment to get your idea to work. :D

druid91
2013-08-23, 06:59 PM
That was a metaphor for "seduce". Heh.

What's the difference between a monster and an NPC, in terms of what I should do?

I pretty much thought it was a joking way of referring to succubi's main "persona" without actually getting too risky.

As to the actual concept... at first I was thinking "You know this doesn't sound likely at all... I mean why would demons care abou-"

Then it occurred to me to remember the fluff IIRC about how Baator split off from Celestia, where Good felt that the demons were irredeemably evil and allowed Baator to be formed to destroy them.

So allowing the Good to think that the demons are somewhat redeemable prevents a second Baator from forming...

Just according to plan?

toapat
2013-08-23, 07:35 PM
I pretty much thought it was a joking way of referring to succubi's main "persona" without actually getting too risky.

As to the actual concept... at first I was thinking "You know this doesn't sound likely at all... I mean why would demons care abou-"

Then it occurred to me to remember the fluff IIRC about how Baator split off from Celestia, where Good felt that the demons were irredeemably evil and allowed Baator to be formed to destroy them.

So allowing the Good to think that the demons are somewhat redeemable prevents a second Baator from forming...

Just according to plan?

Wrong edition

However, you get the idea. this creature is a Demonic PR Agent. the comparison is that the Decoy is a Spokesperson while a Lilitus is a District head of PR

asto the OP: I think you mean Perform (Sexual Acts) and Diplomacy

Which if some of the templates are to be concerned, arent particularly out of reach of celestials

druid91
2013-08-23, 08:16 PM
Wrong edition

However, you get the idea. this creature is a Demonic PR Agent. the comparison is that the Decoy is a Spokesperson while a Lilitus is a District head of PR

asto the OP: I think you mean Perform (Sexual Acts) and Diplomacy

Which if some of the templates are to be concerned, arent particularly out of reach of celestials

... :smallannoyed:

It's a joke. It has nothing to do with an actual sex skill.

Debihuman
2013-08-24, 02:43 AM
The art of seduction could simply default to Diplomacy checks or Bluff checks, depending on the creature's sincerity.

Debby