PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Gestalt Build Druid/Ranger

EvilPig
2013-08-23, 10:50 AM
Hello,

I am going to play council of thief adventure path with a little group of gestalt.

My idea is play a Druid/Ranger. I would focus ranger on archer style and druid on spells/feral form to go in melee

My rolls are pretty high so i think i can afford this classes combo:
17 - 16 - 15 - 14 - 18 - 11 (I also can move two points between stast at 1:1 raito)

So i would like some ideas on how develope the char, stats suggestion and what talents are suggested to take.
Animal companion? Favoured enemy (human)? Favoured Terrian (urban)?
Any archetype can make difference?

I was thinking on half-orc as race but probably best choose is Human.

All official paizo material from SRD is allowed to create char.

Thanks in advice for all help

EvilPig
2013-08-23, 01:46 PM
The group also need a sort of tank. So i was wondering what was best way to do with ranger/druid... I think to change archery with 2 hand weapons.

EvilPig
2013-08-24, 01:48 AM
Was thinking to take some talents to improve my armor and the pet's armor also.

Suggestion?

Keneth
2013-08-24, 02:36 AM
I'm pretty sure there's no way you can go wrong with a supercharged gestalt tier 1 character. Personally, I would ignore weapons altogether and just go full-on shifter once you reach 4th level, and before that I'd go with something silly like a greatclub with shillelagh if your GM allows it (or just a normal club otherwise). You can probably have a composite longbow if for some reason you can't get into melee, but that's generally what spells are for.

grarrrg
2013-08-24, 12:29 PM
Well, depending on exactly how the Gestalt rules are implemented, you'd either be "wasting" the Ranger's Animal Companion, same feature from both sides, ergo "does not stack". Or you would flat out be allowed 2 Companions.

If the first case, definitely trade one of them away, whether it be to a simple class option, or an Archetype that ditches if.

A potential third option is "non-compatible companion types".
See this FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn)
If your Druid companion choice is one that a Ranger could NOT have, then you get 2 companions, if your Druid choice could also be a Ranger choice, then they must 'stack' (with whichever method your Gestalting allows).

EvilPig
2013-08-24, 01:35 PM
The AP (council of thief) seem be oriented to be played mainly in a city.

I decided to point on urban ranger. Also i would like to get another archetype to remove ranger's pet (or choose the different bond).

I was looking something for druid also, but all archetype seem a bit weak for the druid i would like to be.

I choose power attack as bonus feats and i can choose another feats. Maybe cleave or something to improve my armor since seem i should be also the tank.

But with that lucy stats roll i think i can do also everything.

Stats i choose are:

Str 19 (17+2 human)
Dex 16
Cos 16 (15+1 stats adjust)
Wis 18
Int 14
Car 10 (11-1 for cos)

Thats all until now... But i am still a lot confused

CTrees
2013-08-24, 03:07 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with gestalt, but this combination immediately made me think of the Shapeshifting Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/shapeshifting-hunter) feat. It would either be automatically prohibited, non-functional, impossible to qualify for, or absolutely fantastic. Not entirely sure which, as this it isn't a prestige class advancing both sides, it's just a feat...

Drelua
2013-08-24, 03:48 PM
I might go with a Dwarf if you want to be a tank, switching your stats to 18 STR, 17 CON, 20 WIS and 8 CHA. Actually, you could probably end up with the same strength and constitution if you can move a point from CON to STR. Of course, that means you have to explain how your Dwarf became a Druid, which could be weird.

The Natural Weapon combat style would probably be a good choice, getting you claws at level 2 with Aspect of the Beast and a few other good feats later on that should be just as useful while you're wild shaped.

EvilPig
2013-08-25, 01:32 AM
What are stackable armor bonus i can use?

Can i use magic armor casted by mage on me, then barkskin and a shield something? I keep this bonus in feral form? Can i finally wear a armor while in a feral form? Maybe mine or one crafted for the animal form?
Can i take a monk lvl and add also my wisdom bonus while unarmored in feral form?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-25, 02:05 AM
Druid and Ranger have a lot of overlapping class features. I actually played a Druid//Ranger recently, and it was also an archer, though I had the benefit of starting at high levels and having access to 3.5 material.

You should definitely take Menhir Savant archetype. It's just plain better than normal druid and scraps some shared w/ Ranger class features. You may also want to go for the domain option, and get your animal companion via ranger (or get it as druid and take a ranger archetype that swaps the companion) -- just keep an eye towards reducing duplicate class features.

Wildshape actually doesn't have to be at odds or complementary to archery. If you have access to elemental forms (ie, you're high level), those forms can wield bows and get pretty nice stat mods. Air Elemental form is basically perfect.

Dipping a monk level on the Ranger side certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd strongly suggest going Master of Many Styles Monk, as flurry will be quite worthless for you. Or if you're willing to delve deeper into Monk, you could go with Zen Archer (good for a 3 level dip), though I'm not sure that's for the best...

Definitely take archery style, it's invaluable for getting IPS at level 6, and to be able to get Point Blank Master at all. Keep Favored Enemy class feature and max out one of them, don't spread the increases around. Eventually, you'll be able to cast Instant Enemy, and can then turn the boss monster into your favored enemy for the maxed out bonus. Bar none, best ranger spell in the game.

Consider getting Scent. Half-Orc can take the Keen Scent feat; wildshaping or spells could grant it to you as well. Then you can make use of pheromone arrows for a nice untyped +2 attack and damage boost.

The adaptive property is a must for your bow. It's a flat 1000 gp cost and will let it match your frequently changing strength modifier. Sadly, there is no PF version of the 3E Sizing property as far as I know. The bow WILL re-size with you when you wildshape, so just make sure you don't drop it. Locked gauntlet might be worthwhile as long as that doesn't count as "metal armor" for the druid code of conduct. If it does...make one out of ironwood...
As for armor...you can't use it while wildshaped unless it has the Wild property. A friend with Mage Armor spell is a big help.

As for races... Druid and Ranger spell lists have a lot of overlap and are missing many desired spells for an archer (like Greater Magic Weapon and Haste or Divine Power), so Samsaran with Mystic Past Life may be the best choice. Otherwise, any race that buffs Wisdom and Dexterity and penalizes Charisma or (if you must) Intelligence is ideal. A race with +2 strength also wouldn't be bad, but there aren't many of those. Ultimately, +2 wis is the most important stat bonus to look for.

EvilPig
2013-08-26, 01:41 AM
Luckly there will be another heavy melee in group so i dont need to be the main tank in group (yes i know that tank dont really exists since there is no way to "build aggro")

But i am thinking if i can be a good healer with a wand of cure light wounds and maybe a heal or two memorized to cast them whenever its needed.

The wand will be used mainly out of combat of course.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-26, 05:33 PM
Ask if the DM will allow you to use pre-errata Glorious Heat feat.

Before errata, it let you heal hp equal to half your CL any time you cast a fire spell, so you could take the infinite-use Spark orison and give the party infinite out of combat healing.

People complained about it being "broken," so it got errata'd to be worthless (heal hp equal to the spell level!). Even though for the same feat cost, and two levels earlier, you could just take Craft Wand, make your own CLW wands at half price, and make a ton of other wands for half, too, easily ending up richer than the Druid w/ Glorious Heat and no craft wand feat.
That's how my druid//ranger healed. I'd keep candles and just standard action Spark, move action blow it out. Over and over. A candle burns for an hour, that's a LOT of rounds of healing. Plus I got to heal people by way of New Age hippy alternative medicine and scented candles! :smallbiggrin:

EvilPig
2013-09-08, 02:49 AM
Master dont allow me use Menhir archetype because he say is too much powerful cause detect at will.

I am oriented on saurian shaman.

What animal companion can you suggest me? I prefere something small size cause seem that most of time we will be in a city where medium and large pets arent allowed.

EvilPig
2013-09-09, 02:07 PM
I was thinking to take a domain associated at saurian shaman to drop pet so i take via ranger with boon companion feats. I was thinking on strength or resolve.
What do u think?

Person_Man
2013-09-09, 02:51 PM
My understanding is that the PF Ranger is (like it's 3.5 cousin) a weak Tier 4-ish class that's not particularly good at doing anything. And as StreamOfTheSky already observed, they have a bunch of overlapping class features. They both have d8 hit dice, Ranger limits you to light/medium armor, similar Skills, overlapping spells, nature/hunter's bond, woodland stride, and probably a few other reasons I'm forgetting.

Is there a positive reason to take Ranger?

EvilPig
2013-09-09, 03:38 PM
I like ranger because full bab, 6 skills, archery weapon style, and d10 hp.

Also about armor, druid have limit with metal armor so nosense to have heavy armor or whatever.

Person_Man
2013-09-09, 04:21 PM
I like ranger because full bab, 6 skills, archery weapon style, and d10 hp.

Fair enough. I guess I jut don't see the gestalt synergy with Druid. An archer Ranger will generally spend every round of every combat making a full attack action with their bow, and will have to spend the vast bulk of their Feats and much of their gp on archery related stuff for it to function well. Druids, by contrast, will spend most rounds in a Beast Shape form making melee attacks, or casting spells, and will generally invest in Feats and items which improve those things.

EvilPig
2013-09-10, 02:56 AM
Here is the difference from a "standard ranger" and my druid ranger:

I will open with archery doing as much damage i can (archery is best combat style in pathfinder skipping much useless prereq feats), then i will move in melee in feral form. Using some utility spells whenever necessary or summoning some dinos to control the battlefield.

Person_Man
2013-09-10, 09:17 AM
Here is the difference from a "standard ranger" and my druid ranger:

I will open with archery doing as much damage i can (archery is best combat style in pathfinder skipping much useless prereq feats), then i will move in melee in feral form. Using some utility spells whenever necessary or summoning some dinos to control the battlefield.

OK, so you pepper enemies with ranged attack, and then move in for the kill. (Or allow them to come to you while you continue to make ranged attacks). Makes sense. Though I would say that you would probably want to go with Quickdraw + TWF style instead. That way you can throw weapons at your enemies, and then when you get close, switch immediately to melee attacks while still gaining the benefits of your TWF feats.

EvilPig
2013-09-10, 11:28 AM
Twf style is weak for a ranger that dont have sneak attack to apply like rogues.

Take a great sword and i do exactly same damage then with 2 short swords but without -2 to attack.