PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Checks and Creature TYPE

Ignominia
2013-08-23, 12:56 PM
OK, so we all know that a Knowledge check to identify a monster is DC 10+HD of monster, for every 5 points beyond that base DC you get another piece of info. HITTING that DC, gives you the monster name and Type.

So heres the question:

Say a group encounters a Small Monstrous Spider, it has 1 HD so the DC to identify is 11. Easy enough?

Say, they then encounter a Gargantuan Monstrous Spider, IT has 16 HD, so its DC is 26. Say they fail, but clearly the creature is just a larger version of a creature they have seen before! Even if they HAVENT seen a monstrous version, they should know that the Gargantuan version is a Vermin type right?

So they question then becomes, should the DC for identifying TYPE be lower than SPECIFIC details?

I know, looking at a horse that its a mammal, (in dnd terms an "Animal") even if I don't know the exact breed, I know looking at a car that its a machine (or construct) even if I don't know the exact model...

Would it be unfair to allow a simple DC 10 knowledge check (only for characters who are TRAINED in the specific knowledge skill required) to identify type (and the associated info along with it)

I would think that a Cleric with Knowledge Religion should be able to spot undead a mile away, or a Wizard with Arcana and Dragons... Enough research has been done on the characters behalf to know that: "it looks like a duck and walks like a duck..." Why should their be a penalty just because the creature is LARGER?

Thoughts?

ArcturusV
2013-08-23, 06:24 PM
I... wouldn't do that. Mostly because I'd leave it to players to do. Players may hear me describe a giant spider. May see me place a spider type monster on the battle grid, etc. But should their character KNOW that it's a spider and a vermin... or that it's some kinda undead zombie spider? Or that it's a spider demon? Or that it's a spirit manifested spider? Or that it's a polymorphed Ogre? All things that they could figure out if I just gave them the creature type(s). Or at least guess at if I just told them "oh, it's an outsider (chaotic evil)."

Considering that DnD is a world where the thing that walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck might actually be an ancient blue dragon. I don't think it's too out of line.

Psyren
2013-08-23, 07:20 PM
The danger here is that they're relying on appearance, which can be misleading. Using your own example for instance, it could be vermin.... or it could be a demon. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/bebilith)

But for your more specific question; yes, I would probably allow lower rolls to uncover more basic info like type.