PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Specific Trap

GutterFace
2013-08-23, 01:21 PM
so i've read everything i can about creating traps...etc. but i need some advice on one particular one i am building.

My idea was for a Harpoon Trap what has a tether attached (like the weapon)

i modeled it after the Spear trap, but with the dice of the Harpoon.

My question is, how much Str should this trap have? Since in essence i want to have a 'winch' inside the trap to pull the unlucky Pc from his current position.

Since traps are Cr based, assume a Cr1 trap so i can tier out the Str mod from there as they level and or as needed for later campaigns.

also instead of a Rope for the tether i can use a chain im assuming?

Jack_Simth
2013-08-23, 05:12 PM
1) If there's nothing else to make use of it, the rope/chain is relatively meaningless - if the target survives the hit, the party can sunder the rope or chain at their leisure (if it effectively cannot be sundered, if there's something that will take advantage of the limited mobility, that's a significantly different story, of course). I'd actually suggest treating the winch effect as a separate trap - onset delay of whatever it's dragging you into.

2) You're looking at a mechanical trap. You have an attack bonus, search and disable device DC's, and an average amount of damage. There's a handy table for it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#challengeRatingOfATrap). What's the average damage of the Harpoon, what's the attack bonus of the Harpoon, what's the search DC, and what's the Disable Device DC? That'll give you your answer.