PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Obelisk [IC]

cd4
2013-08-23, 01:45 PM
Your applications for joining the Guardians of the Obelisk was successful. You followed the instructions on the letter and arrived in an office in the council building. The office has a desk near the centre of the opposing wall with a one-eyed rather fat man sitting behind it. The desk is clear of paper except for one document. The wall behind the desk has several mirrors on it, some of these mirrors are stacked two deep others are stacked only one deep but the hook holding them to the wall is long enough to put a second mirror on.

Ah welcome Lavi Earthleaf, Finarion Windwalker, Shallahai and Gortunk says the man behind the desk. I am Gerard and I will be your co-ordinator for your missions. Your applications came in at roughly the same time and the skills you have seem to complement each other fairly well so we decided to form you into a team rather than adding you to one of our existing teams.

He then reaches down one of a pair of mirrors on the wall and places it on his desk. This is an aspect mirror, they can be made in pairs and you can activate the other mirror by using your mirror, this allows communication between the two mirrors. I will keep the other mirror here and you will take this one with you, to allow you to keep me updated on your progress. I do expect regular reports and if you miss reporting in or there is an emergency then I will contact you via the mirror. I accept that there are times when you want to sneak about and as long as you warn me in advance I won't expect a regular report.

Now for your first mission. A few days ago the miners in one of our mines, discovered a set of double doors buried deep underground. Naturally they were curious and tried to discover what was behind them. However they could not penetrate either the doors or the rock near the doors. We sent a team to try and break down the doors, but soon after that team arrived a band of kobalds attacked the mine. The team bravely fought the kobalds and held them off long enough for the miners to escape before perishing. The miners are now safely in the city and we want you to go to the mine and clear out the kobalds in it. Also could you take a look and see if you can get past those doors and find out what is behind them.

This mine is to the north. Head out the north gate and follow the road heading north take the second bridge over the river and follow the track up to the mine.

Any questions?

OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15880861)

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-23, 02:05 PM
Hah, kobolds. No problem. Verenestra's power will easily smite them. But of course, the matter of pay. She grins.

Handsome Goblin
2013-08-23, 04:24 PM
Gortunk says "I am also interested in the pay, and my great sword can make short work of the kobolds!"

Batpope Scott
2013-08-24, 02:32 AM
Finarion gracefully moves a strand of his auburn hair out of his eyes as he looks over Gerard critically. "These two may be eager, but I am not so easily convinced of my return. You say you've lost a team to these kobolds but are sending fresh recruits to slay them with minimal information."

The elf shrugs a bit as he sighs "I would at least like to know more about our foes before we are sent to the hells by spear-point."

cd4
2013-08-24, 05:29 AM
Well, the pay is such that with the mine safe again, we will give you each 500gp, plus you will be recognised by the shop keepers here to be able to buy and sell at market price, also anything that you pick up in the mines are yours to keep.

Now with the danger, the previous team was only 2 members, who were unprepared for fighting, when they were swarmed by the kobalds from all sides. You have 4 members in this team, and are prepared to fight. Plus we expect that the kobalds are spread throughout the mine allowing you to take them down a few at a time.

I don't have much information about how many kobalds there are and what capabilities they have, but they are known to set traps. They won't have had much time to set up but be on your guard.

Snoiepix
2013-08-24, 06:55 AM
Lavi shifts uncomfortably in her chair at the notion of fighting.

"I'm a bit curious about that door. Did anyone with any knowlage about the arcane ever get the chance to look at it before the kobolds swarmed the mine? Clearly showing this is her primary intresst but continues on. "And also how big is this mine? Is it a matter of hours or day we will be down there?"

Handsome Goblin
2013-08-24, 01:32 PM
Noticing Lavi's obvious uncomfortableness, Gortunk says "Dont worry, I think we can handle a few kobolds."

cd4
2013-08-25, 05:19 AM
None of the miners have any arcane knowledge, the team that was sent did have a lot of arcane knowledge and spells to help but were overrun before they could get to the door.

As for the size of the mine, it takes about three to four hours to get from the surface to the door, however expect to take longer as you fight your way down.

Snoiepix
2013-08-25, 10:18 AM
Eyeing the muscular Half-orc well over twice her size. Not all of us have the same resilience mr..?

Thats a shame any indication of its properties would have been helpful but thank you Gerard, is there anything else we should know before we head out?

Batpope Scott
2013-08-25, 01:27 PM
"Kobold traps, eh? My expertise with traps should help with that. Do we know anything specific about these kobolds, like their clan name or where they come from?"

[roll0] Knowledge(Local) for these Kobolds. See if I can guess what they're after or something.

Handsome Goblin
2013-08-25, 07:36 PM
"Gortunk lady." His eyes then shift towards the ceiling growing bored of all the talk.

cd4
2013-08-26, 04:17 AM
I'm afraid not. The miners were able to report that they were kobalds but more than that they could tell.

Batpope Scott
You remember that kobalds are very weak compared to other races, they like to ambush opponents and use traps to change battles in their favour.

Snoiepix
2013-08-26, 06:49 AM
A pleasure to meet you Gortunk. She smiles at his impatience and draws comfort from it. Convinced he could handle more than his own in a fight. Call me Lavi.

Traps expert? Now thats handy!

Do we depart there straigt from here or do we restock on supplies and maybe head out by morning? Despite our taps expert I don't fancy our chances at night.

Batpope Scott
2013-08-26, 10:23 PM
Finarion frowns a bit as he states I'm good with traps, but I'm not perfect. I might be able to find them by torchlight but kobolds trap and ambush their prey and I'd rather not be blundering around in the dark with a competent trapsmith about.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-27, 09:33 AM
So were heading into Kobold territory, in the dark against expert trapsmiths with only Verenesta's guidance, a saboteur, an orc and some sort of spellcaster She grins Sounds like a challenge. She turns to the others and holds out her hand Shallahai, by the way. Cleric of the great Verenestra

Handsome Goblin
2013-08-27, 09:30 PM
Gortunk shakes her notably smaller hand and says " I am ready to get going!".

cd4
2013-08-31, 05:44 AM
Following Gerald's directions you arrive at a cliff corner, the cliff is about 50ft high and turns a sharp corner just ahead of you. The path leads up to a paved area on one side of the cliff and connects a 10ft high 20ft hole in the side of a cliff which has 2 pairs of rails running out of the hole down to a 2 story high, 40ft by 40ft building by the river. About halfway between the waterfront building and the hole in the cliff is a second building this one is 40ft square, but only one story high. There are also 2 kobalds with spears standing on either side of the hole in the cliff.

Handsome Goblin
2013-08-31, 03:48 PM
Gortunk charges into battle attacking the nearest kobold!

Not sure how far away I am but I will go ahead and make the rolls
To hit
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

cd4
2013-09-01, 06:12 AM
The nearest kobald is 100ft away from you so you won't reach it in this round. Also when you initiate a battle you also need to roll initiative.

Snoiepix
2013-09-02, 01:40 AM
Lavi was too submerged in her own memories of picking up the Aspeckt mirror, remembering the groups decicion of keeping it in the back line just in case. Clearly surprized by Gortunk's sudden charge Lavi looks around in slight shock towards the others seeing what they are about to do before she notices the two kobalds at the enterance. Her small hands shift unintentionally towards her crossbow readying for battle.

Ini: [roll0]

Pesimismrocks
2013-09-02, 03:44 AM
Lost in thought shallahai does not notice the kobolds until Gortunk charges. Shallahai hops off her horse and clutches her holy symbol.
Iniative [roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-09-02, 04:19 PM
Finarion sees the kobolds as an easy target, or they would have been if they weren't alerted by a certain orc! "Oh well. Let's get this battle going!"

Snoiepix
2013-09-03, 02:54 AM
Noticing how Shallahai clasps her holy symbol Lavi says "I will save my magic until it is really needed." as she takes a few steps forwad following Gortunk "As we dont know how many dwell in the mines"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-03, 04:49 PM
Finarion springs into action and gets that spring into his step as he saunters forward, drawing his shortbow. He quickly lets loose an arrow to the nearest kobold but the little lizard is slightly out of his comfort range.

Move action to move forward 30ft, free action draw on the bow since I moved, and then standard action shot at -2 for a single range increment. [roll0]

Snoiepix
2013-09-04, 02:05 AM
Lavi steps forward, draws her crossbow and loads it with a bolt readying herself to shoot at the kobalds.

5foot step as free move. Draw crossbow as standard action and load it as second standard. Please tell me if i do anything wrong as im very unsure about the fighting bits =)

cd4
2013-09-04, 02:30 PM
With Finarion's shot falling short, Lavi drawing her weapon and Gorthunk moving into charge range. The kobalds are rather scared. The futher kobald yells "Attack" into the cave which echoes a bit and move so that they are standing together infront of the cave. (Still in Gorthunk's charge range)

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-05, 10:47 AM
When within charging range, he charges, then he attacks the nearest kobald yelling "You friends cannot help you little creature!"

cd4
2013-09-07, 04:49 AM
With the rest of the party watching what happens Gorthunk charges at the koblads however the kobalds get two attack of opportunities (one each) against him.

kobald 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
kobald 2
[roll2]
[roll3]

Gorthunk takes 4 damage but gets to kobald 1 and kills it with one hit.

Batpope Scott
2013-09-07, 09:35 AM
Finarion continues his strut forward, shooting another arrow at the kobolds.

Moving another 30ft forward and I'm guessing they're within 60ft.
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit Damage

Snoiepix
2013-09-08, 02:44 AM
Lavi takes aim at the remaining kobald and gently squeezes the trigger of her crossbow until the bolt is realeased.

Attack: [roll0] (+4 for attack bonus and -2 for 1 range incriment over 80feet)
Dmg: [roll1]

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-09, 11:01 AM
Gortunk takes another swing at the remaining kobold.
To hit
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

cd4
2013-09-09, 12:01 PM
Finarion manages to hit this time, slightly wounding the kobald, Lavi's shot falls short.

The kobald attacks Gorthunk with the spear.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

The kobald misses badly, then Gorthunk steps foward 5ft and slices the kobald in 2.

Battle Over, you each gain 200xp.

Snoiepix
2013-09-10, 03:00 AM
As Lavi watches her crossbow bolt fly short, Finarion's hit and Gortunk finishing the job. Smiling at herself going back to her previous thoughts in the office with Gerard, clearly he can handle a lot more than his own. Walking towards the two who raced forward as she gets closer she starts looking for her bolt too see if it broke or not. While looking she says "Impressive, but maybe warn us next time Gortunk so we can ambush them a bit more. I mean them yelling out to there friends who surely will be here soon might have been avoided.

Search: [roll0]

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-10, 09:02 AM
Gortunk scratches the back of his head, smiles apologetically, and says "Sorry I got a little excited, I will be more cautious, does someone want to scout ahead?"

Batpope Scott
2013-09-10, 09:48 AM
"I would normally say I would, but they're on alert now and my sense of self sacrifice isn't that strong." Finarion sheathes his bow, draws his rapier and flicks it a few times impatiently.

Pesimismrocks
2013-09-10, 10:44 AM
I apologise for my lack of help but they were but two and I should save my incantations for greater fights. She winces at Gortunks large wound. You look hurt, but no problem for a warrior of your might, eh. Let Verenestra's might heal you. Her hand glows and she places it to Gortunk's wound.
Converting Resistance to Cure Light wounds [roll0]

Snoiepix
2013-09-10, 04:20 PM
"I think Finarion is right. They are probably alert and ready, for all we know they might be gathering up to charge on us out here!" lavi says while still searching for her crossbowbolt.

"With that healing Shallahai, you managed to do more good than me. It seems all i managed to do was lose one of my bolts." Beaming a smile right at Shallahai.

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-17, 10:19 PM
Gortunk pokes his head into the cave to see what he can see.
spot
[roll0]

cd4
2013-09-18, 02:38 PM
Revilo300

You see the tunnel goes for about 55ft before opening out into a bigger area, the tracks go straight forward and 50ft away from you on the left track are some mine carts. There is light from the lamps that the miners had which are still burning. At the end of the tunnel, next to the right hand wall, a kobald with a spear is moving slowly towards you.

Map {table]||||█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|
||||||||||||||||
|:haley:||||||||||||C|C|C
|:miko:|||||||||||||||
|:elan:||:thog:|||||||||||:smallannoyed:|
||||█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|[/table]

C are the carts, █ is a wall

Pesimismrocks
2013-09-18, 02:52 PM
Hey, anything in there? Shallahai calls to Gortunk before strolling over.

Snoiepix
2013-09-20, 02:04 AM
Lavi moves over to the others, readying herself for what might come. Not to forget the Kobalds yell into the cave and they probably will be ready. Surprized Gortunk didn't get an arrow to the face after openly looking in to the cave enterance, yet very happy. Using a lot lower voice than Shallahai Lavi asks the group "What do you guys think? Try to sneak in, yet they surely know we are here already, or charge in and hope there arn't too many?"

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-22, 08:48 AM
Gortunk feeling a little self concious about charging in last time to his party's dismay says, "Maybe we should wait forthis kobold to come to us."

Batpope Scott
2013-09-22, 05:41 PM
Finarion can't help but laugh at the thought. "We might as well give him some incentive, then."

The elf steps out in front so that the kobold can see him. Making his voice as clear as possible, he states in Draconic "Hello, there. Is it possible that you'd be willing to speak with me?"

Snoiepix
2013-09-23, 03:28 AM
Smiling broadly at Gortunk for his efforts to restrain his leading nature. But before she can awnser Finarion steps out into the cave, speaking a language she can't understand but clearly directing it into the cave. She readies herself but arming her crossbow and feeling her magic close to hand, only a few gestures and words would create the desierd effect.

Wispering to the other two she asks: "What did he say?"

Handsome Goblin
2013-09-23, 10:50 AM
Bernard scratches his head and says, "I have no idea."

cd4
2013-09-23, 11:09 AM
The kobold replies in draconic:

Who's there? Gix? Oth? What's going on?

Batpope Scott
2013-09-23, 10:07 PM
Finarion whispers to his allies in hushed Common "He apparently can't see us too well. I think it would be prudent to take advantage of his weakness."

To cover his moment of silence, he loudly asks in Draconic "What, you don't recognize me?"

cd4
2013-09-24, 12:26 PM
The kobald replies again in draconic

You don't sound like Gix or Oth. So no. Who are you?