PDA

View Full Version : How Interested Are You: Book About Noncombat Utility Spells

Fax Celestis
2013-08-23, 02:09 PM
Not utility in the sense of "teleportation", but in the sense of "making arcane society function". Spells and items that act as garbage disposal, light the lamps of a city, increase the milk provided by a cow, pave roads, build houses, quarry stone, perform landscaping, let a butler know when his master requires his services, keep fires in fireplaces and from candles from spreading...

Is this a thing people would be interested, for either 3.5 or PF?

AKA_Bait
2013-08-23, 02:12 PM
This is a thing I would be interested in for 3.5. Never got into PF.

Segev
2013-08-23, 02:12 PM
Are you proposing NEW spells, or a handbook on neat uses for existing spells in these sorts of ways? I'd read the latter with great interest, and even contribute ideas if I had any worth mentioning. I'm less interested in the former, outside of a full setting-book for a world that has them and tries to use them to shape its culture.

TaiLiu
2013-08-23, 02:13 PM
Quite so. It sounds like it would be a wonderful resource!

Slipperychicken
2013-08-23, 02:14 PM
I would be interested to see that stuff. However, an entire book about that wouldn't contribute much to the game itself; it's not about adventuring and heroism, so it's not terribly relevant for most games.

It might make things too magipunk if done wrong, but it could add something to adventures if done right.

Segev
2013-08-23, 02:16 PM
Almost the inverse of the spirit of the thread, but it brings to mind realizations such as: a bevy of Unseen Servants can make javelins have a faux returning property by simply having their job be to go pick them up and bring/ferry them back to their master. Also, can make Quick Draw unneeded on them, since handing something to somebody is a free action, and they can effectively "caddy" for the javelin-thrower.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-23, 02:18 PM
Are you proposing NEW spells, or a handbook on neat uses for existing spells in these sorts of ways? I'd read the latter with great interest, and even contribute ideas if I had any worth mentioning. I'm less interested in the former, outside of a full setting-book for a world that has them and tries to use them to shape its culture.

Mostly the former, though the latter would certainly be discussed.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-23, 02:21 PM
You realize that such a book would be mined for unintentional weaponization. People try to kill people with prestidigitation, they will try to do it with anything.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-23, 02:23 PM
You realize that such a book would be mined for unintentional weaponization. People try to kill people with prestidigitation, they will try to do it with anything.

I am aware. Breakers gonna break.

qwertyu63
2013-08-23, 02:24 PM
Stating interest in this.

Segev
2013-08-23, 02:28 PM
I heartily recommend starting with the "noncombat societal uses of existing spells," first; it will help you see what's already doable, and give you some idea where weaponization might come from by letting you see what effects come from already weaponized magics. The inverses will be key.

You can also then use it as a basis for "lesser" versions, or for larger-area versions with better and clearer idea of what restrictions need to be put on them to reduce them to "utility."

TrollCapAmerica
2013-08-23, 02:30 PM
It kinda makes me think of all that Tipperverse stuff I heard so much about

It makes perfect sense that people would develop spells of this ilk so long as they arent "living in a dark tower when no dares go" type of wizard.I dont see how they wouldnt end up like Scientists always looking for some new way to contribute to society in someway that nobody else can and getting all the accolades that comes with it