PDA

View Full Version : About those Crits and Fumbles...

Segev
2013-08-23, 02:10 PM
So much discussion of house rules about them have gone on lately that my mind has decided to wrestle with the thought of them. It's a bit frustrating to many that 1/20 hits auto-misses and 1/20 hits auto-hits, and everybody's had the frustration of rolling in their threat range and still missing, let alone doing so and not confirming.

The complaint about crit fumbles being even worse because they basically say that every adventurer is a Stooge, to some degree, no matter how skilled, is also at least somewhat valid. (I agree with the complaint, personally.)

So, then, what might be done, especially to appease those who want SOME element of critical failures to be more than just "a miss?"

What if, instead of "nat 20" being the special value, the crit-threat range meant that you got the option to roll an additional d20 and add it to the die roll? Make this open-ended, until one of them doesn't land in the crit threat range (or you choose to stop rolling). An actual critical hit, then, happens not on a "confirmation" of a "threat," but when you exceed the AC of your target by at least 20.

Similarly, a roll of a "1" requires you to re-roll the d20, subtracting 20 from your roll. Additional rolls of "1" require additional re-rolls with additional -20 penalties. If, on your final modified roll, you score less than 0, you critically fumble. We can have a crit-fail chart based on how negative you rolled.

Now, the character who is particularly good might hit even if his initial roll is a "1," though it is definitely less likely, while the character who is lucky might hit even though he lacks the skill. It makes high-threat weapons very valuable for accuracy, though each roll DOES open the possibility of a "1" forcing a re-roll with -20, instead.

Actually, that probably calls for an example:

Let's say the initial die roll is an 18, using a scimitar (so it's in the crit threat range). The player chooses to roll again, and gets a 20! His die roll alone is now worth 38, and he can choose to roll again STILL if he wants to (perhaps he's facing something with really high AC, or merely moderate AC and he's hoping to get 20 over it for a crit).

But his next roll is a natural 1. Now he HAS to re-roll that one, and subtract 20. He gets another 18! But with the -20, that's a -2, for a total of only 36. Still, he can choose to keep rolling, so he does! This time, he gets a 6, for a total "d20" roll of 42, before any other modifiers. Pretty good, but it should be, as he's been lucky! Still, not an auto-hit if the enemy has a particularly monstrous AC!

On the other hand, if he'd rolled a 1, and then a 20, he'd have a total d20 roll of 1 (as 20-20 is 0). He could choose to keep rolling off of that 20, though! Getting a 10 after that would be a total of 11.

And, finally, if he rolled a 1, and then something like, say, a 5, he'd have a 1-15 = -14. Unless his attack bonuses are +14 or greater, he's now critically fumbled.

How workable would such a system be? Would the increased advantage to a high-threat weapon be too much? Any other major problems with it?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-23, 02:12 PM
I don't know how well it would work in practice. I know first immediate thought is that increased threat range should similarly reduce the number required from "20 over AC", so that a 17-20 crit threat weapon only needs to beat the AC by 17.

Segev
2013-08-23, 02:14 PM
I don't know how well it would work in practice. I know first immediate thought is that increased threat range should similarly reduce the number required from "20 over AC", so that a 17-20 crit threat weapon only needs to beat the AC by 17.

While I hadn't thought of that, now that you mention it, I think it a less than good idea. Reason is simple: it already is increasing the re-roll range.

However, if you replace the re-roll range so that it's ONLY at nat 20, and then used your suggestion, that actually might balance it a lot better. Good idea!

Fax Celestis
2013-08-23, 02:22 PM
I'm mostly worried about the rolling high twice thing. Though the current crit system sort of works like that anyway. I haven't done any math on this, but it may be better to make the crit number 12 or 15 over instead of 20.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-23, 05:45 PM
Thing about fumbling is that skilled warriors don't do it. Skilled wizards and commoners do. So it's logical that instead of everyone having a flat 5% chance you should instead have a fumble if your attack roll is under 5 this means that level 1 fighters with 16 str have a 5% chance and at a higher level 0 but a wizard with 8 str would have a 30% chance of fumbling.

Segev
2013-08-24, 01:00 AM
That's the point of the "fumble" being if you score a negative result after all modifiers.

For anybody with a positive to hit modifier, this will only happen if they roll at least one "1" and then roll poorly enough that their bonuses don't overcome the -20 to still yield a positive value. Sufficiently skilled fighter-types might actually still HIT after rolling so poorly.