PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Paladin Healer/Support Build

Thrair
2013-08-23, 02:28 PM
Hey guys. A RL friend of mine is going to be running a campaign, and due to the group composition so far, I'm going to do something I've wanted to do for a while and play a dedicated healer/support Paladin (I'm a freak and actually enjoy healbot now and then). As such, I wanted to get people's suggestions for this build.

According to DM choice, stats were rolled using 4d6, taking three highest and rerolling 1s. (He likes high-fantasy level stats... and compensates by being a right BASTARD with encounters... He's not trying to TPK every encounter, but he does not pull punches. At all. That Worm that Walks was a fricking PAIN, since our Wizard wasn't an AoE Nuker.)

Anyways, off topic. He's my stat rolls and projected build. (I don't expect we'll make 20. He's not fond of epic play. Usually endgame is around 12-16 in his campaigns.)

Strength: 16
Dex: 10
Constitution: 16
Int: 13
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 17

Hospitaler 20
Human (Focused Study)
Lawful Good, Iomedae

Bonus Feat:
1: Skill Focus: Heal
8: Skill Focus: Diplomacy
16: Skill Focus: Fly
Level Feats:
1: Toughness / (Noble Scion-War)
3: Eldritch Heritage - Heavenly Fire
5: Greater Mercy
7: Selective Channel
9: Unsanctioned Knowledge (1st-Wrath, 2nd-Invisibility, 3rd-Arcane Sight, 4th-Divine Power)
11: Improved Eldritch Heritage -Wings of Heaven
13: Ultimate Mercy
15: Fearless Aura
17: Greater Eldritch Heritage - Conviction
19: Divine Interference

Traits (He's not sure if he'll allow these):
-Magical Knack (Paladin)
-Second Trait (Fluff Trait)

Overall, I want a strong healer with a lot of general combat utility. I'll rely on Smite Evil to beef up my damage on bosses. He's going to be a healer first, jack-of-all-trades second. Noble Scion might not be allowed (It'd allow me to avoid Clerical Speed), in which case I'll just get Toughness to up his tankiness somewhat, especially on those early levels.

Any suggestions for improving the build? Again, I'm going for a primary healer, but didn't want to play a primary caster again (I tend to play them, and while effective, I've been wanting a change of pace lately). So I'ma bite the first person who tells me to just make a Life Oracle, k?

Vastly
2013-08-23, 02:41 PM
Have you considered a Oradin build? Oracle 3-4/Paladin X

Take the Life Mystery and the revelations Channel Energy and Life Link
For the paladin go with the archetypes of Hospitaler and Warrior of Holy Light
Take the feat Fey Foundling

From there you can do just about whatever, though there are better and worse choices. There is a guide that breaks it down by Grarrrg, which can be found here (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365).

Thrair
2013-08-23, 02:51 PM
Yah, I did look at it. But it's a bit thematically.... strange. Mechanically, it works fine. But roleplay wise it's a little piecemeal and just doesn't mesh well, to me. Not with the current character, anyways.

Also.... because you suggested an Life Oracle, I'ma bite you now. Not as hard as I would have, because it IS a multiclass, but still....

NOM NOM NOM! Nom.

P.S. Yes I'm in a hyper mood. Been playing with my 11 month old nephew and that brings out my inner child/spaz. :P

Vastly
2013-08-23, 03:22 PM
Haha, didn't see that last line you had there.

Having played this build before, I can say, it works fantastically in both a mechanically, roleplay and thematically.

Mine was a tiefling (arguably the best choice with the proper fiendish spawn). He was stalwart, loyal and courageous. Sarenrae blessed him with the ability to absorb the pain of his friends and take it upon himself, a new scar appearing whenever his Life Link healed an ally (he was heavily scarified all over his body). While his healing wasn't as powerful as others, few could match his throughput; where others would fall, he endured. Constantly seeking to make up for his past failings (pre-paladin) he strives to do good, and spread good by example, often at great cost to himself. Unlike many paladins, he was intimidating, an imposing, powerful figure who seemed to lack mercy to those who did not know him (though quite the opposite is true). He'd stand up against a Balor, naked and unarmed, if it meant his friends could get to safety while he fought it. I could go on, but I'm rambling now! hehe

Too bad the game ended, I really enjoyed playing him.