PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Umbral Trickster - LF build thoughts

Vastly
2013-08-23, 02:29 PM
So I was playing around with the idea of a ranged sneak attacker, and came up with the following build, which I'm calling it the Umbral Trickster.

Umbral Trickster
Rogue 3 / Oracle 1 / Arcane Trickster 7
Tiefling (Rakshasa-Spawn: Beastbrood)
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis
Darkvision 60ft (120ft + See in Darkness after feats)
Fiendish Sprinter (replaces skilled)
Prehensile Tail (replaces fiendish sorcery)
Spell-Like Ability: detect thoughts 1/day
Fiendish Resistance: 5 cold, electricity, and fire resist

Stats:
Str: 10
Dex: 20(18 base)
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 15

Favored Class:
Rogue (+1 skill point)

Traits:
Magical Knack (+2 caster lvl up to hit dice)
Reactionary (+2 initiative) or Weapon of Peace (-2 instead of -4 on non-lethal attacks)

Saves:
Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +6

BAB:
+5

Skills:
Acrobatics +14
Diplomacy +11
Disable Device +20
Escape Artist +12
Knowledge (arcana) +11
Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10
Knowledge (nature) +10
Knowledge (planes) +10
Perception +13(+14 vs traps)
Sleight of Hand +11
Stealth +19
Use Magic Device +16

Feats:
1 Point Blank
2 Precise Shot (Rogue Combat Talent)
3 Sap Adept
5 Rapid Shot
7 Sap Master
9 Fiend Sight
11 Fiend Sight

Class Features:
Trapfinding
Sneak Attack +5d6
Evasion
Rogue Talent (Combat Trick)
Trap Sense +1
Mystery (Waves)
Curse (Haunted)
Revelation (Water Sight)
Ranged Legerdemain
Impromptu sneak attack 2/day
Tricky spells 4/day

Spells: Essential (suggested)
1st obscuring mist (abundant ammunition, bless, protection from evil)
2nd darkness, lesser restoration (align weapon, touch of mercy, silence)
3rd deeper darkness (blindness/deafness, invisibility purge, stone shape)
4th air walk or blessing of fervor or freedom of movement

Items:
I don't usually make builds with specific items in mind, but Sniper Goggles are simply too good for this build to not get. Also, blunt arrows will be the primary ammo used for the ability to deal non-lethal damage.

Nitty Gritty:
Damage potential:
Immune to Precision damage: (saddest face)
normal weapon damage
Immune to Non-lethal damage: (sad face)
weapon + 5d6 + 11 (when within 30ft)
Vulnerable to Sneak attack and Non-lethal damage: (unadulterated glee)
weapon + 10d6 + 41 (when within 30ft)

I wanted to make a fairly self sufficient rogue character, who could reliably setup sneak attacks with his bow. This build exploits the fact that Arcane trickster doesn't require an arcane spellcasting class, just a 2nd lvl arcane spell (tieflings get one as a spell-like ability) and mage hand (which oracles get through the haunted curse). It uses darkness, obscuring mist, and deeper darkness to gain total concealment, either by effectively blinding the enemy or by being effectively invisible, to sneak attack.

The biggest weakness this character has will be fighting anything immune to sneak attacks. He's less effective if an enemy is immune to non-lethal, but still capable of being a threat. He's also not the most team player oriented character since his most crucial spells are just as effective against allies as they are against foes.

He looks to be an excellent scout however, and down right dangerous in combat. He evokes an image of the perfect bounty hunter, terrifying, unseen and skilled.

I'm curious to see what you all think. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated and encouraged! :smallbiggrin:

Drelua
2013-08-23, 03:15 PM
How are you qualifying for Arcane Trickster? I know it can advance arcane or divine casting, but you still have to be able to cast a 2nd level arcane spell to get in.

Edit: Oh, detect thoughts SLA. I'm not sure if that works, but I guess it might. Nevermind. :smallredface:

Vastly
2013-08-23, 03:31 PM
Oh, detect thoughts SLA. I'm not sure if that works, but I guess it might.

The ruling that makes it all possible :smallwink:
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow

Zubrowka74
2013-08-23, 03:40 PM
Perhaps you can find a better mystery than Waves ? Dark Tapestry has stealth related stuff.

Vastly
2013-08-23, 03:45 PM
Perhaps you can find a better mystery than Waves ? Dark Tapestry has stealth related stuff.

I chose the Waves mystery for the Water Sight revelation, which allows me to see through fogs and mist unobstructed, thus allowing me to fire into or from within a fog or mist effect. This lets me get total concealment in areas where darkness or deeper darkness won't cut it.

I didn't see anything equivalent in Dark Tapestry that didn't require a significant investment into the oracle class level wise, though I could be mistaken.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-23, 03:49 PM
Ah, right. I only saw the scrying part and was wondering where you going with this. And of course, arcanne trickster doesn't advance the mysteries.