PDA

View Full Version : Non-Druid Wild shape?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-23, 07:23 PM
I just wondering, are there any cases in d&d 3.5 where you can have wild shape but not be a Druid?

eggynack
2013-08-23, 07:29 PM
Lesse. There's wild shape rangers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), who only get small and medium animal forms. That's the biggest one. You can qualify for moonspeaker (RoE, 143) without being a druid, and they get wild shape at the 5th level of the PrC. The same is true of lion of talisid (BoED, 65), because a ranger naturally gets all of those prereqs, and they have wild shape at the third level of the PrC. I'm sure there are some other cases like that.

Medic!
2013-08-23, 07:37 PM
The Primeval PrC from Frostburn has an ability similar-ish to Wildshape

Ruethgar
2013-08-23, 07:42 PM
Wild Monk DR 324.

ArcturusV
2013-08-23, 07:44 PM
There's the Shapechanger PrC from OA, which doesn't require Druid to enter.

Palanan
2013-08-23, 08:03 PM
Also from BoED, though a little more limited, the Sentinal of Bharrai (p. 69) gains Bear Shape at third level, which is at-will wildshaping into the bear flavor of your choice. And the Swanmay (p. 76) gains a swan shape at first level, which is explicitly equivalent to druidic wildshaping. Neither of those has a wildshaping prerequisite.

eggynack
2013-08-23, 08:09 PM
Are we doing things that are just vaguely wild shape like, or things that are literally and actually wild shape in name and abilities? Like, if we're just doing things that make you a bear, bear warrior is pretty cool.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-23, 08:12 PM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) (scroll down) gets Wild Shape at will as a free action, but only into a limited list of specific creatures.

Someone already mentioned Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), which never grants any forms besides small and medium animals.

Note that either one of those can have Master of Many Forms added on, which will expand your base list of options even with either of the above sources of wild shape.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-23, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, I was curious to see if the option was out there.

@Question: Could just be something similar, but not something restricting me to one form.

Also another question. Is there a way to still benefit from my humanoid physical ability scores in wildshape? I mean, not an outright replacement... that would be bad. But maybe something like... if your Strength is 16 you may add 6 Strength to your wild shape form?

eggynack
2013-08-23, 08:42 PM
Also another question. Is there a way to still benefit from my humanoid physical ability scores in wildshape? I mean, not an outright replacement... that would be bad. But maybe something like... if your Strength is 16 you may add 6 Strength to your wild shape form?
I don't think there's any ability that applies your physical modifiers in a wild shape. You'd probably have to use a different ability for something like that. I'm thinking something like Shapeshift Druid from the PHB II, page 39, or maybe aspect of nature from UA.

ArcturusV
2013-08-23, 09:55 PM
Doesn't Bear Warrior work like that? Because it's a rage you take shape and get stat bonuses rather than stat rewrites? Been a while since I looked at it, can't remember.

Palanan
2013-08-23, 10:03 PM
Seems that way:

"Unlike with the polymorph spell, a bear warrior doesn't gain the bear's Strength, Dexterity and Constitution scores when he takes bear form, nor does he regain any hit points when he transforms."

bekeleven
2013-08-24, 12:46 AM
[Obligitory plug for my Shifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15807014) homebrew base class]

Greenish
2013-08-24, 08:11 AM
Also another question. Is there a way to still benefit from my humanoid physical ability scores in wildshape? I mean, not an outright replacement... that would be bad. But maybe something like... if your Strength is 16 you may add 6 Strength to your wild shape form?Bear Warrior and Primeval work like that, though each is limited to one shape.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-26, 03:06 PM
I'd rather not be restricted to one animal form or limited uses per day so the shape shifter looks best atm. However, the issue there is that the forms seem to have a clear hierarchy as to whose better... like why would I ever turn into a wolf when there's bear? And why a bear when there's elemental?

Is there a way or something else like shapeshifter where the forms are more balanced and simply excel at their own things rather than have a clear ranking of which is better?

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-26, 03:13 PM
Vampire Lord: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a

Gives at will wild shape, it requires the vampire template so +8 lvl adjustment... not exactly ideal but it is an option.

eggynack
2013-08-26, 04:02 PM
I'd rather not be restricted to one animal form or limited uses per day so the shape shifter looks best atm. However, the issue there is that the forms seem to have a clear hierarchy as to whose better... like why would I ever turn into a wolf when there's bear? And why a bear when there's elemental?

Is there a way or something else like shapeshifter where the forms are more balanced and simply excel at their own things rather than have a clear ranking of which is better?
Well, I mentioned the aspect of nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) variant from UA. I rather dislike that one though, because it's not all that good. There's also aspect of the dragon from Dragon Magic, page 11. That one's a bit better, because the durations aren't craptacular, but it's a bit dragon themed. Still, you get somewhat balanced forms, and they add to your base stats instead of fundamentally changing them.

Urpriest
2013-08-26, 08:23 PM

Conceptually speaking, that's how Pathfinder handles shapeshifting. In 3.5, shapeshifting abilities turn you into the creature fairly completely, which thematically means that some forms will be better than others.

Otherwise, you want something like Shapeshift Druid, or other shapeshifting abilities that are mostly cosmetic.

Rubik
2013-08-26, 09:27 PM
Since they're added on after the fact, you should be able to add stat bonuses from HD and items (assuming you can use items in one way or another while wild shaped) onto your critter stats, though very few are based on the stats you rolled (or point-bought) at character generation. Good for making yourself SAD. Not so much if you have really good ability scores anyway.