PDA

View Full Version : Guerrilla Elves

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 07:35 PM
Here is a homebrew idea myself and another frequenter of this forum (Dungeon_Crawler) came up with. The idea was to have a race of stealthy jungle dwellers. Heres the result. Any and all critique is welcome.

Guerrilla Elves

-2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. While physically weak and fragile, Guerrilla Elves are extremely agile and tend to be quite keen and aware of their suroundings. They also tend to be on the quiet side.

Small humanoids (Elf).

Land Speed: 30 ft. Guerrilla Elves are fleet of foot, despite what their short limbs would normally dictate.

Elf Traits: Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Natures Magic: Guerrilla Elves who take levels in a spontaneous spellcasting class, such as the sorcerer, automatically add the spells below to their spell list.

Wilderness Training: +4 on hide and survival checks in forested environments.

Elvish Perception: +2 on spot and listen. the standard elven ability to sense hidden or concealed doors.

Weapon Proficiencies: Guerrilla Elves have Proficiency with the handaxe, kukri, longbow, and shortbow.

Automatic Languages: Elven and Common.

Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.

Favored Class: Ranger

Level Adjustment: +1

Spell List:
0 Level:
Detect Poison
Shadow Play

1st Level:
True Strike
Distract
Ventriloquism
Disguise Self

2nd Level:
Net of Shadows
Spider Climb
Darkvision
Alter Self
Cats Grace

3rd Level:
Invisibility
Major Image
Keen
Haste
Nondetection

Stake A Vamp
2013-08-23, 07:48 PM
one would think that a guerilla warrior would have a higher base land speed, for the "Run" bit of "Hit & Run"

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 08:30 PM
The idea was more "Hide and seek" than hit and run

Astral Avenger
2013-08-23, 09:00 PM
Looks like a fun race, but I have 2 sugestions:
1) I was thinking that they should get a climb speed.
2) It seems like a creature growing up in a heavily forested environment would be very hesitant to use fire as a weapon, as there would be a big risk of causing a forest fire. Other spells that might fit the theme well could be Nondetection, Sleet Storm, Stinking cloud, Deep Slumber, Hold person, Rage, Daylight, Lightning Bolt, Tiny Hut, Wind Wall, Displacement, Invisibility Sphere, Major Image, Ray of Exhaustion, Blink, Gaseous Form, Haste, Keen Edge (Nasty with the kurkis), Slow, Water Breathing and Vampiric Touch.

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 09:05 PM
Thanks, will try and update spell list soon. As for climb speed, what do you think is good, but not unbalanced. I have seen very few races with it, and have not been able to test the brokenness of it :smallwink:

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 09:08 PM
Im thinking LA +1 isnt enough.

also, why small?

if it were medium sized i could reason that it should have stats more like this:

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence. Guerrilla elves are stronger and hardier than other elves, but favor physical action and feats of athleticism instead of learning to solve problems.

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 09:11 PM
Small is to help with the hide, AC, etc. Also seemed that people who have lived in jungles for generations have shrunk (Pygmies)

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 09:16 PM
Small is to help with the hide, AC, etc. Also seemed that people who have lived in jungles for generations have shrunk (Pygmies)

You know, I always heard that the human race has grown in size over the millennias. I think the fact that Pygmies exist merely means that at some point those smaller humans got isolated and did not breed for size at the same rate as the rest of us. That might be merely conjecture, but it thought it was worth mentioning.

I dont think we are capable of breeding for smaller size in the same way we bred for larger sizes, as size implies strength and good genetics, good things for protecting your family and tribe.

as far as elves go, look at the Drow, they are on average the smallest species of elves from my memory, averaging about 5'4" - 6'0" tall and weigh 130 - 170 lbs.

LOTRfan
2013-08-23, 09:47 PM
I'm going to hop on with LordErebus and say that a Level Adjustment of +1 is not enough. Granted, you've helped quite a bit by limiting the spell list, but I'd say this is easily in the LA +3/+4 territory.

Races get higher LA for much less than half-caster advancement.

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 10:04 PM
This is what id do...

Guerrilla Elves

-2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. While physically weak and fragile, Guerrilla Elves are extremely agile and tend to be quite wise and aware of the wilderness. They also tend to be on the quiet side.
Small humanoids (Elf).
Land Speed: 30 ft. Guerrilla Elves are fleet of foot, despite what their short limbs would normally dictate.
Elvish Resistances: Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
Wild Magic Adept: Guerrilla Elves who take levels in a spontaneous spellcasting class, such as the sorcerer, automatically add the spells below to their spell list.
Wilderness Training: +4 on hide and survival checks in forested environments. Due to the natural colouration of the guerrilla elves, in combination with their basic training, the Guerrilla elves are better adapted to a forested setting.
Elvish Perception: +2 on spot and listen. the standard elven ability to sense hidden or concealed doors.
Weapon Proficiencies: Guerrilla Elves have proficiency with the handaxe, kukri and shortbow (including composite shortbow). Do to the often tight spaces that they deal with, training with long or cumbersome weapons like the longbow/longsword gave way to utilitarian or smaller weapons, such as the handaxe/shortbow.
Automatic Languages: Elven and Common.
Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
Favored Class: Sorcerer or Spirit Shaman.
Level Adjustment: +1 or +2

0 Level:
Detect Poison
Shadow Play

1st Level:
True Strike
Distract
Ventriloquism
Disguise Self

2nd Level:
Net of Shadows
Spider Climb
Darkvision
Alter Self
Cats Grace

3rd Level:
Invisibility
Major Image
Keen
Haste
Nondetection

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 10:12 PM
I like the idea of adding spells to your list. Will edit original for changes, still think they should have longbow That being said, will probably use this variant as an LA+1.

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 10:18 PM
I like the idea of adding spells to your list. Will edit original for changes, still think they should have longbow That being said, will probably use this variant as an LA+1.

while its not a big deal, i figured smaller weapons would fit better in tight quarters. hard to use such a large weapon like a longbow when you have bushes and trees getting in the way. also, consider the handaxe, since its utility far outweighs any other weapon they could use, plus you can throw it in a pinch. how else will they build traps and homes? surely they wont dull the edge of a kukri while chopping at a branch...

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 10:22 PM
Handaxes are useful, but the kukuri is like a machete, and the handaxe, if they had one, would not be used as a weapon normally. The main weapon would be a kukuri, with the ax being a tool

With regards to the longbow, while shortbows are better for cramped quarters, the longbow has the longer range, and allows for better ambush capabilities. I was thinking the shortbow is a traveling bow/warbow, while the longbow was a weapon for ambushing/huntign

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 10:46 PM
Handaxes are useful, but the kukuri is like a machete, and the handaxe, if they had one, would not be used as a weapon normally. The main weapon would be a kukuri, with the ax being a tool

With regards to the longbow, while shortbows are better for cramped quarters, the longbow has the longer range, and allows for better ambush capabilities. I was thinking the shortbow is a traveling bow/warbow, while the longbow was a weapon for ambushing/huntign

thats fine, but at what point does long range become useless? in a dense forest, the total distance you can have line of sight over diminishes greatly, as does the need for massive range. Longbows might work wonders on the open plains or in large forest clearings where nothing stops you from hitting your target, but in the forest where trees block line of effect, I'm thinking the shortbow reigns supreme.

that doesn't really matter in dnd too much. its all in the flavor and circumstance.

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 11:02 PM
if you can get somewhere tall, like maybe up a tree...

http://https://www.google.com/search?q=rainforest+tree&safe=off&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS495US495&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9i8YUsmkGtTl4AOsroH4Dw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=vEamwBmnyifIBM%3A%3BSci1lVftcw3ZvM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fwww.aguilaharpia.org%252Fphotos3%252FP anama-Rainforest-Tree.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.aguilaharpia.org %252Fphoto-03.html%3B368%3B555

then you could use a longbow very well.

Also, it does more damage :smallbiggrin:

LordErebus12
2013-08-23, 11:06 PM
if you can get somewhere tall, like maybe up a tree then you could use a longbow very well.

Also, it does more damage :smallbiggrin:

True.

perhaps a climb speed could be added in? something like one-half the base speed? this would definitely bump it into that LA +2 range.

Dming For Noobs
2013-08-23, 11:10 PM
no climb speed, you wouldn't want to climb a tree unless you knew there was something coming that way, so you could just take 20

Stake A Vamp
2013-08-23, 11:41 PM
what about throwing axes? they are clearly the weapon of choice for an ambush, nice short ranged capabilities, and should the foe close in, you simply use it as a melee weapon (maybe give them quick draw as a bonus feat, because they are trained in such a way as to never be in combat without a weapon in hand)