PDA

View Full Version : Scout+Rogue Prestige Class?

Valluman
2013-08-23, 08:10 PM
The titles says most of it for me. I have a character who is a 3 Scout and a 6 Rogue and have been trying harshly to find a PrC that does well for both of these classes. He does have the feat that adds Rogue and Scout for the purposes of Skirmish (can't remember the feat's name for the life of me at the moment).

I can't find any PrCs short of home-brewed stuff for this nice class combo. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Valluman
2013-08-23, 11:18 PM
Bump... Mostly because the character leveled and I am unsure what to do.

Lateral
2013-08-23, 11:26 PM
If you have Swift Ambusher (that feat you were talking about), it's really in your best interests to just stick with Rogue. Nothing else will progress both sneak attack and skirmish at the same time.

Prince Raven
2013-08-23, 11:52 PM
Unless you can persuade your DM to let Swift Ambusher stack with other sources of Sneak Attack you're out of luck, Swift Ambusher specifies it only applies to Scout and Rogue levels.

Valluman
2013-08-24, 12:00 AM
Ah well. Not like rogue or scout are bad options anyway; I was just wondering if there was a prestige to add some flavor or diversity.

Chronos
2013-08-24, 12:25 AM
Aside from their particular flavor of precision damage, scout and rogue are already pretty similar, so there's no need for a PrC to combine them. And you've already got both flavors of precision damage from Swift Ambusher.

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 01:06 AM
If you are looking with something with sneak attack and a bit of flavor, may I recommend Thief of Life (Faiths of Ebberon, pg 84) Requires being nongood, a member of the Blood of Vol, 4 ranks Heal, 4 ranks Arcana, 2 ranks Religion, and +2d6 sneak attack. With it you gain bonuses that activate when you down an opponent with sneak attacks, and it will continue the sneak attack progression.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-24, 09:23 AM
In general I'm not a fan of the class, but Hand of the Winged Masters isn't bad for builds with both sneak attack and skirmish.

While your bonus damage increase only applies to one source (I recommend skirmish, as it's easier to reliably trigger), Improved Dragonfire Strike should apply to both abilities if you use Dragonfire Strike on both your sneak and your skirmish. It's not a huge damage boost, but it's something. If your DM rules that converting your sneak/skirmish to energy damage means it bypasses precision immune enemies, then it's actually a very good choice.

That said, in general, you'll almost certainly do better from straight rogue/scout, possibly with a dip into ranger for Swift Hunter as well to help bypass immunities, and cleric or monk for free movement.

Auramis
2013-08-24, 10:14 AM
If you are looking with something with sneak attack and a bit of flavor, may I recommend Thief of Life (Faiths of Ebberon, pg 84) Requires being nongood, a member of the Blood of Vol, 4 ranks Heal, 4 ranks Arcana, 2 ranks Religion, and +2d6 sneak attack. With it you gain bonuses that activate when you down an opponent with sneak attacks, and it will continue the sneak attack progression.

I'm playing with him. He wouldn't be able to do that. We're in a full good party. I'm playing a paladin, and would have a hard time accepting anyone who isn't good standing by us, especially something that steals life. Given the attitude of our party, I doubt many would tolerate someone who's like that. xD

In general I'm not a fan of the class, but Hand of the Winged Masters isn't bad for builds with both sneak attack and skirmish.

The character he's playing is a half-dragon, so it would be MUCH better for him to continue into rogue or scout. Think he decided that last night. Only problem is picking with one. Scout would come with 1 more point for reflex and a bonus feat, where as rogue increases his sneak attack and contributes to the levels needed to advance Skirmish.

elonin
2013-08-24, 11:12 AM
A generous dm might let a prc that advances sneak attack to advance skirmish, but i wouldn't count on it. Why are you trying to advance both of those? Other than some sort of charge or pounce build this is't going to work out most of the time.

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 11:23 AM
I'm playing with him. He wouldn't be able to do that. We're in a full good party. I'm playing a paladin, and would have a hard time accepting anyone who isn't good standing by us, especially something that steals life. Given the attitude of our party, I doubt many would tolerate someone who's like that. xD

Wouldn't the toleration lie in who's life he was stealing and not just the theft in question. Cause if he was aiding you in killing the creatures you were fighting anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd want creatures you were fighting to not have lives anymore anyways, correct? And with your DM's permission the fluff could always be altered to make it have a good requirement and a different religious order, no?

Auramis
2013-08-24, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't the toleration lie in who's life he was stealing and not just the theft in question. Cause if he was aiding you in killing the creatures you were fighting anyway, I'm pretty sure you'd want creatures you were fighting to not have lives anymore anyways, correct? And with your DM's permission the fluff could always be altered to make it have a good requirement and a different religious order, no?

Well, the main problem isn't so much who they'd be killing, it's the manipulation and absorbing of souls. It sounds far too much like necromancy or a form of vampirism. While it's obvious my paladin should have problems with anything close to necromancy (even as a Pr Paladin and Cleric, he never casts anything that's described as necromancy, no matter how seemingly harmless), we also have an arcane heirophant who opted to forgo necromancy for schooling as well. Our party as a whole abhors necromancy, so anything too close to it would cause a rift.

Valluman
2013-08-24, 12:02 PM
A generous dm might let a prc that advances sneak attack to advance skirmish, but i wouldn't count on it. Why are you trying to advance both of those? Other than some sort of charge or pounce build this is't going to work out most of the time.

This may sound outlandish and weird... But I picked the build because I wanted to... That's it. I'm not trying to optimize for anything other than fun here. :smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2013-08-24, 12:03 PM
I agree that you should just stick with Swift Ambusher. Check out my handbook on how to make it awesome! It's in my sig.

Valluman
2013-08-24, 12:40 PM
I agree that you should just stick with Swift Ambusher. Check out my handbook on how to make it awesome! It's in my sig.

Great guide! I'm more than likely going to stick with Swift Ambusher at this rate, so your guide is monstrously helpful. Thank you.

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 01:03 PM
Well, the main problem isn't so much who they'd be killing, it's the manipulation and absorbing of souls. It sounds far too much like necromancy or a form of vampirism. While it's obvious my paladin should have problems with anything close to necromancy (even as a Pr Paladin and Cleric, he never casts anything that's described as necromancy, no matter how seemingly harmless), we also have an arcane heirophant who opted to forgo necromancy for schooling as well. Our party as a whole abhors necromancy, so anything too close to it would cause a rift.

Think of it more as holding on to them for a bit so that the baddies can't manipulate them, then returning them to the fray once they get around to it. Think less of an absorber, and more of temporary protector. :wink:

Though it would appear as he found his calling anyways. Oh well.