PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Looking for (mostly alchemical) Stuff for Launch Item that deals AoE

kkplx
2013-08-23, 08:49 PM
As indicated in the title, I'm currently trying to make a list for a game where I intend to make liberal use of Launch Item together with various alchemical items.

Now, one niche that I have trouble filling are items that can be launched with the spell, don't cost a lot and deal Area of Effect effects, like a noxious smokestick - I'm less interested in pure "1 target 5' minor effect"-stuff like alchemist's fire.

Any favorites you'd feel like sharing?

Lateral
2013-08-23, 10:49 PM
The dust eggshell grenade (Oriental Adventures) is probably your most powerful option, but it is very powerful- I'd be careful about overusing it or your DM might get pissed. 5' radius of Fort save or be blinded for a round, but the really powerful part is that if you actually hit someone with it, they're blinded for 1d4 rounds, no save. It's only 10 gp per. There's also Liquid Smoke (Oriental Adventures), which is exactly like a smokestick except it reacts with air instead of needing to be lit, so throwing it far away and smashing it on the ground will work.

This one's a bit of a trick, but if you combine Liquid Ice (Dragon Compendium), Razor Ice Powder (Frostburn), and a glass container with enough water to cover a 10-foot square (which shouldn't be all that much, I don't think), then you can shoot out ten-foot squares of pointy ice that functions as difficult terrain, a nonmagical grease spell, and a no-save 1d4 slashing + 1d6 cold rider effect.

kkplx
2013-08-24, 12:45 PM
Thanks, good replies, though I knew of all of them except for liquid smoke - sadly they're all very low AoE.

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 01:31 PM
This handy index of useful items may aid in your search for good items to throw! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

Lateral
2013-08-24, 01:51 PM
Thanks, good replies, though I knew of all of them except for liquid smoke - sadly they're all very low AoE.
Really, you're going to have trouble finding cheap alchemical things with a radius of more than 5'. I can't think of any at all, off the top of my head.