PDA

View Full Version : Rewards For Single-Classing?

GusPorterhouse
2013-08-23, 09:33 PM
Similar to DDO's "Capstone" ability for those brave souls who stick to a single class all the way to level 20, in my upcoming campaign I'd like to reward those who stick to a single class with scaling rewards (mainly for lower-tier classes, as part of an effort to balance them upwards a bit.) For example, a fighter, barbarian, or paladin would gain BAB, AC, and HP bonuses. I want to encourage dedication and discourage dipping (this is only part of that process).

Iceheart2112
2013-08-23, 10:02 PM
If you're playing pathfinder, they're already like that. Take a look at the pfsrd for ideas on stuff like that.

Pickford
2013-08-23, 10:16 PM
Similar to DDO's "Capstone" ability for those brave souls who stick to a single class all the way to level 20, in my upcoming campaign I'd like to reward those who stick to a single class with scaling rewards (mainly for lower-tier classes, as part of an effort to balance them upwards a bit.) For example, a fighter, barbarian, or paladin would gain BAB, AC, and HP bonuses. I want to encourage dedication and discourage dipping (this is only part of that process).

If you multi-class you're supposed to take an experience hit.

Given that most people simply conveniently forget that rule exists, how about an xp bonus for single-classing?

Zanos
2013-08-23, 10:19 PM
If you multi-class you're supposed to take an experience hit.

Given that most people simply conveniently forget that rule exists, how about an xp bonus for single-classing?
Everyone forgets about it on purpose because it's horrible as written. It also penalizes characters who have a decent amount of levels in a secondary class, like five or so.

Snowbluff
2013-08-23, 10:23 PM

3.x is the wrong system to discourage dipping it. Dipping is really good to melee, who need the help.

Regardless. the later 3.5 classes have capstone abilities. Now you have to actually play to level 20 for people to even consider it. I never bother going for the Warblade's double stance because I know I'll not level that far.

Pickford
2013-08-23, 10:25 PM
Everyone forgets about it on purpose because it's horrible as written. It also penalizes characters who have a decent amount of levels in a secondary class, like five or so.

Yes, my point is that if you simply apply the rules as written multi-classing is not automatically superior to single-classing.

Builds with 5+ dips should be extremely unusual, not the norm (as one might surmise if they simply took the suggestions often given here), and they would be if those rules weren't skipped over.

Larkas
2013-08-23, 10:28 PM
If you're playing pathfinder, they're already like that. Take a look at the pfsrd for ideas on stuff like that.

This, though, IMHO, it doesn't go far enough to make it really worth it. You don't see "dippy" builds in PF simply because you have less incentives to do so, that is, qualifying for prestige classes.

Snowbluff
2013-08-23, 10:29 PM
This, though, IMHO, it doesn't go far enough to make it really worth it. You don't see "dippy" builds in PF simply because you have less incentives to do so, that is, qualifying for prestige classes.

Larkas, are you ever going to finish the PF Balance guide?

Larkas
2013-08-23, 10:33 PM
Larkas, are you ever going to finish the PF Balance guide?

Not in the foreseeable future, Bluff. New job, lots of responsibilities and precious little time that I have to juggle between family, friends and girlfriend. It is a small miracle that I've been finding the time to actually take a look at the Playground every now and then. I won't say I'll never finish it, but I don't know when I'll be able to do it. :smallfrown: