PDA

View Full Version : Choices choices.

greyknight666
2013-08-23, 10:43 PM
Recently lost a character to the deck of many things. (love randomness). Going through Return to temple of elemental evil with some planar side trips.

The Party Level 11:
Dwarf Frenzied Berserker, can't say much here probably closest optimized character in the whole party, though not much you gotta worry about either.

Wizard: First time wizard player so spell selection isn't the best and no focus.

Saint Cleric: biggest issue for me is having VOP and still viable caster but oh well. Default healer and trap bait.

OA samurai: Party face, honor/glory compass brings the transportation. Wagon and recently zeppelin, first strike killer.

Centaur Fighter: Large high strength, charger using hometweaked Cavalier from sword and fist to work with centaur. Next closest optimized.

So basically thats the party. I'm bouncing around using using one of the full casters. Looking for opinions/feedback on selections or help making a pick.
All wotc sources open plus 3rd party books open just need DM approval. Mostly mongoose.
Wizard Conjurer: going first half of malconvoker for summon monster goodness then going some other presitge haven't thought that far yet after that. I just don't want to rely on DM for planar binding. Just sort of suffers from melee heavy group.
gnome shadowcraft mage or incantatrix and fill a stronger arcane roll

Cleric: Here i'm blowing in the breeze. Here i see picking up the magic item slack the saint has with playing with toys. Probably DMM play maybe ruby knight/prestige paladin. Or trying to focus more as a caster role away from healing. Paladin/knight has melee issues again. Advice helpful here if chosen.

Druid: Planar shepherd tweaked to work with standard dnd cosmology aka picking something like Outlands or Sigil for wild shape abuse. Though Hades gives all evil outsiders pretty well and Elysium for the good outsiders. Though standard dnd planes don't have much in the way of useful planar bubble effects. I warned the DM about it and seems fine with it. Other ideas welcome.

Did think of a mystic theurge to cover the gaps with wizard and cleric stuff just hate the spell level loss.

Or the final pick just be silly and do a killer stabby gnome or a plain rogue.
In a nutshell i'm just indecisive. Worst comes to worst i'll just roll a dice and pick something unless there is some good arguments for a pick.

BowStreetRunner
2013-08-23, 10:49 PM
When unable to decide, it's always fun to just go with a Factotum/Chameleon build and just do everything.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-23, 11:00 PM
Bard is always good for a melee-heavy group. Optimize Inspire Courage, pick up Dragonfire Inspiration, cast haste, and the rest of the group will love you. Work your way into Sublime Chord and get full 9-level casting as well. You can also use Bardic Knack to pick up any skills that might be missing.

If you want to play with magic items, you could try out the Artificer, though you'd have to keep a close eye on the optimization curve to keep from outstripping your partymates.

I like Warmage/Sandshaper 1/Mage of the Arcane Order for a strong arcane character. Warmage offers all the direct damage you need, plus a decent dose of battlefield control. Sandshaper 1 adds a whole bunch of general-purpose stuff (more BFC, buffs, summons, and so on), while MotAO allows limited access to any sorcerer/wizard spell you want.

If you want wild shape fun... I've wanted to do a Wild shape Ranger/Master of Many Forms/Warshaper for a while, now. Warshaper 5 lets you switch between forms at will while wild shape is active, and MoMF lets you wild shape into a ridiculously large numbers of things-- and pick up their (ex) special qualities, although it takes a long time before you can get both that and the Warshaper capstone.