PDA

View Full Version : PC Issue (Possible Virus?) [Fixed]

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-23, 11:47 PM
So, I have a...odd case.

My Pc as is, can connect to sites like Gitp, and Steam Workshop, but it won't let me on pretty much any other site.
I'm thinking it's a virus, but not entirely sure. I'm running Window's 8.

Sad thing is, I can't even download something like Avast or Any other one, because it won't even let me use google, So it's beginning to drive me insane.
Firefox, Chrome, and IE don't work, and no one else has this problem, so i know it's mine.

(It comes up with "Firefox cannot connect to server" )

Please tell me you guys have some way to deal with this..

Erloas
2013-08-23, 11:55 PM
Other people on your network don't have the same problems?

It sort of sounds like a DNS issue that Steam would probably get by with having the address already resolved and sites you visit a lot, like GITP would already have the address resolved too, but more complex sites that you visit a lot might have rotating addresses depending on their load.

Have you tried resetting your computer?
If it is a virus doing it, usually they redirect you to another site and/or try to sell you something via a pop-up to get it to go away. Most viruses aren't malicious for malicious's sake, they are there to try to get something from you, money or info.

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-24, 12:25 AM
Other people on your network don't have the same problems?

It sort of sounds like a DNS issue that Steam would probably get by with having the address already resolved and sites you visit a lot, like GITP would already have the address resolved too, but more complex sites that you visit a lot might have rotating addresses depending on their load.

Have you tried resetting your computer?
If it is a virus doing it, usually they redirect you to another site and/or try to sell you something via a pop-up to get it to go away. Most viruses aren't malicious for malicious's sake, they are there to try to get something from you, money or info.

Not that i know of.

It's just these two that I actually note, A couple other websites work, but more often then not, don't.

I'm new to Windows 8, So I don't know how.
It doesn't, just stops me from getting on websites.
I think I had something like this before, but it went away on it's own accord.

Howl
2013-08-24, 02:30 AM
That's an odd one, like Erloas said, it could be resolvency issues. Safest bet would be to unplug your modem/router and try it again, if not try resetting your router, as it could have something to do with some passthrough option. Although extremely unlikely it could have something to do with your ISP, but I doubt it. So the only thing you can do is take basic troubleshooting steps, eliminate one thing at a time; if it works awesome, if not move on. Let us know how it goes.

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-24, 03:19 AM
Finally beat it.

So, I'm digging around on my Pc, hoping to find something, and lo, I find tor.
Hastily downloaded a measure of Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware..

Which then detected a grand total of 9 Viruses.

Hooo boy.

Fixed now, and everything works great, though, need sleep.

Alaris
2013-08-30, 10:40 AM
Finally beat it.

So, I'm digging around on my Pc, hoping to find something, and lo, I find tor.
Hastily downloaded a measure of Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware..

Which then detected a grand total of 9 Viruses.

Hooo boy.

Fixed now, and everything works great, though, need sleep.

It was probably one of those viruses that tries to protect itself from deletion by certain programs by blocking you from getting those programs (and thus, from many sites).

Good on you for getting rid of it though.