PDA

View Full Version : Castles and Crusades: Redshirt Army

Arkusus
2013-08-23, 11:59 PM
So, mostly as a joke I pitched an idea to a group I'm playing with, but everyone ended up liking the idea, and I thought it could be fun one evening.

As a one-shot, have a group of level 1 characters attempt a level 5(ish) dungeon, and every time one of them dies, another character (drawn at random from as stack of pre-made character sheets) appears immediately at the entrance to the battle and continues to act on that player's turn (Unless he died during his turn somehow, then starting at that player's NEXT turn).

I want to know a few things:

1: Does anyone know a fun dungeon to try this with? I know there are a lot of player-made free dungeons out there, but... there's a lot of them...
2: I'd like to implement a scoring system to inspire the players to not be needlessly reckless, and I would like more criteria than character deaths.
3: Any other ideas to make the dungeon either more entertaining, or easier to play?

Slipperychicken
2013-08-24, 12:35 AM
[never played this system]

2: I'd like to implement a scoring system to inspire the players to not be needlessly reckless, and I would like more criteria than character deaths.

Point-worthy tasks are multiplied x3 if the one who does them makes it to the finish line? Such a thing might make last-second comebacks possible, and keep up the tension as players try not to lose the multiplier.

"Survival combos", where you get extra points for surviving through multiple encounters on the same character?

Bonus points (x1.5) for non-violent victories like talking enemies down or sneaking past them?

jaybird
2013-08-24, 01:52 AM
1: Does anyone know a fun dungeon to try this with? I know there are a lot of player-made free dungeons out there, but... there's a lot of them...

Tomb of Horrors :belkar:

Arkusus
2013-08-24, 02:12 AM
Tomb of Horrors :belkar:

Oh good lord, you are an evil evil man. People would get so frustrated... Oh my lord... "Hooray, I finally rolled a natural 20! Critical hit!" "Good job! You get bonus points for dealing the first damage this round! Oh, and... yup, you die."

Arkusus
2013-08-24, 02:32 AM
[never played this system]

Point-worthy tasks are multiplied x3 if the one who does them makes it to the finish line? Such a thing might make last-second comebacks possible, and keep up the tension as players try not to lose the multiplier.

"Survival combos", where you get extra points for surviving through multiple encounters on the same character?

Bonus points (x1.5) for non-violent victories like talking enemies down or sneaking past them?

I really really like the idea of a score multiplier... Maybe after 5 consecutive point bonuses, you start getting x2, then x3 at 10, and then doubling from there to x4 at 20, and x5 at 40.

Would need to come up with some more good ideas for point-worthy things, and I could get pretty liberal... Maybe points for first blood in an encounter, and points for final blow in an encounter... Points for finding secret doors, traps, and treasures. Big bonus points for whoever lands the killing blow on the final boss...