PDA

View Full Version : Help for ideas with limited 3.5 selections.

Shadroth
2013-08-24, 09:48 AM
So in our playgroup we have two main DMs. One of our other players was thinking about DMing to let them have a break every now and then, but with the following restrictions:

- campaign starts at level 10
- PHB and PHB II for base classes and feats (multiclass by clearance)
- DMG or any Complete book for Prestige classes only
- levels 1-6 are "against basic mooks", 7-8 are "undead are not fun" and 9-10 are "undead are everywhere" for class flavour/ choices (e.g. no Favoured Enemy: Undead until at least level 9)

Out of three players of a possible five, we already have one fighter type and one possible healer type. I was thinking of Ultimate Magus, because I haven't played anything like that before. Is this the best kind of ranged/ caster that I could play, and how would I go about optimising it properly?

Abrupt Jaunt from PHB II looks enticing, but I'm not sure what else I should be looking at at this level.

All help is greatly appreciated :D

Glimbur
2013-08-24, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Magus works alright with wizard/beguiler, because they share a casting stat. Use as much early entry as you are comfortable with (and are allowed) to get you theurge on faster. Use your wizard side for things your beguiler side can't do. Cast good spells.

HalfQuart
2013-08-25, 09:52 AM
If you're interested in Ultimate Magus, I'd recommend taking a look at this Ultimate Magus Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872322/Preliminary_Ultimate_Magus_Handbook), especially his trick of using Practiced Spellcaster at level 3.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is the "best kind of ranged/caster", but it can certainly be fun.

Also, I'm confused by the 1st and 4th bullet of your post:

- campaign starts at level 10
- levels 1-6 are "against basic mooks", 7-8 are "undead are not fun" and 9-10 are "undead are everywhere" for class flavour/ choices (e.g. no Favoured Enemy: Undead until at least level 9)

So are you playing up from 1, or starting at 10? Or is that just saying that when you build your 10th level characters, you can't be undead-focused from the beginning and have to pretend it was an organic transition to an undead heavy campaign?