PDA

View Full Version : Good Antagonist

Dungeon_Crawler
2013-08-24, 01:00 PM
I need an antagonist for my players. Any ideas

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 01:05 PM
I need an antagonist for my players. Any ideas

Do you need a Good alignment antagonist, or just a good antagonist?

A.A.King
2013-08-24, 01:12 PM
What kind of characters are your players? Different kind of characters prefer different kind of antagonists

Psyren
2013-08-24, 01:32 PM
Do you need a Good alignment antagonist, or just a good antagonist?

This confused me too :smalltongue:

Anyway, the staples for high-level BBEGs are humanoids, outsiders, dragons, undead and fey.

intothenight
2013-08-24, 02:31 PM
A fighter with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Doomsday Weapon.

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 02:40 PM
An Optimized Commoner with the Chicken-Infested Flaw could work for a silly, memorable, and epic antagonist.

Think of it:
1.Throw templates on the the chickens he produces so he has a powerful army of poultry kind
2. Have the guy jokingly Meta. Similar to how they are in OOTS
3. When they first encounter him, they'll most likely be confused as to how a Level 1 Commoner is the big bad.
4. The antagonist can have a potentially grandiose amount of funds thanks to the chickens.
5. Refer to all the chickeny goodness an optimized Commoner can perform (ie "wall of chicken")

Dungeon_Crawler
2013-08-24, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the posts. Me and my friend came up with a great villain. Thanks for posting:smallbiggrin: I may use the chicken for an encounter

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 03:47 PM
But.. But.. "Chicken Lord":frown:

I guess i'll just have to DM a game with one. :xykon:

falloutimperial
2013-08-24, 04:59 PM
Find a fictional character that is not a villain. Strip everything from this character not necessary to the core of who this character is and what makes him/her memorable. Make the smallest possible change that will bring this character at odds with the player. Reconstruct the small stuff like names and mannerisms.
At least, that's one way. Don't make the resemblance obvious or it's just silly. Stray from catch-phrases and the memorable clothing of the previous iteration.

"I'll die with a hammer in my hand. You'll die with my hammer in your head."

denthor
2013-08-24, 08:49 PM
But.. But.. "Chicken Lord":frown:

I guess i'll just have to DM a game with one. :xykon:

You are channelling Chicken Boo from the Animanicas.

He was a six foot tall chicken that was, also a Southern General in the civil war of the United States of North America.

A chicken big enough to feed an army.

Waker
2013-08-24, 10:31 PM
Ok, here is an antagonist. You have a villainous boogeyman who is summoned whenever someone says his name. Ropes appear from thin air, bind the speaker and then they disappear never to be seen again.

Should the party manage to summon him without saying his name or they find him by some other means, he looks like a floating humanoid wearing a grey bag with eyeholes cut out. He always carries a candle and a length of rope.

Don't say it!

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-24, 11:36 PM
Ok, here is an antagonist. You have a villainous boogeyman who is summoned whenever someone says his name. Ropes appear from thin air, bind the speaker and then they disappear never to be seen again.

Should the party manage to summon him without saying his name or they find him by some other means, he looks like a floating humanoid wearing a grey bag with eyeholes cut out. He always carries a candle and a length of rope.

Don't say it!

I think I know who you're talking about. Candlejack ri-

Manly Man
2013-08-24, 11:51 PM
I think I know who you're talking about. Candlejack ri-

-ght, what a wonderful evening, hmm?

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-25, 12:30 AM

Don't say it!

But, in all seriousness, that could bode most interesting in a campaign involving Words of Creation/Truespeak

Waker
2013-08-25, 12:37 AM
But, in all seriousness, that could bode most interesting in a campaign involving Words of Creation/Truespeak

I'd probably do it as some sort of location-based creature.

People know well about him and while they tell stories, they always avoid saying his name. Old warnings can be found in the ruins which dot the forest, speaking of a wraith looking for his stolen name. Outsiders new to the area are never warned, but this has never been an issue since they rarely had visitors. The discovery of gold in the nearby mountain has increased the number of settlers though...

Doc_Maynot
2013-08-25, 12:41 AM
I'd probably do it as some sort of location-based creature.

People know well about him and while they tell stories, they always avoid saying his name. Old warnings can be found in the ruins which dot the forest, speaking of a wrath looking for his stolen name. Outsiders new to the area are never warned, but this has never been an issue since they rarely had visitors. The discovery of gold in the nearby mountain has increased the number of settlers though...

Would be funny to see a bard "accidentally" recite a local folk tale involving his name he knows via Bardic Knowledge:elan:.

Waker
2013-08-25, 01:14 AM
Would be funny to see a bard "accidentally" recite a local folk tale involving his name he knows via Bardic Knowledge:elan:.

I think the way I would trick people into saying the name is that the area itself is named after him. When people talk about going to the place, they are outside his area of influence, but once they enter his territory should they accidentally say it...

DMVerdandi
2013-08-25, 03:54 AM
How about a cleric con-man, who worships trickery and greed, and is corrupting young children of some town and teaching them that they can gain power by worshiping their own dark desires. He gives them instruction on how to be a cleric so long as they bring him back a bit of what they take from others.

They could have a little crime organization headed by the cleric, and his two lieutenants, a spellthief and a beguiler, both whom help instruct the kids in one of three ways, the trickster, the charlatan, and the thief.

Parents are fed up, but they are usually commoners, while their children are developing skill, power, and levels by immersing themselves with the underground world.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-25, 06:29 AM
A half-celestial (or aasimar) paladin type character who seeks to cleanse the world of evil. He is a leader of a psudo-military order, and their uniforms do not blatantly state they are good aligned.

The party misinterpret something and start actively seeking out members of this one group, wishing to put a stop to the 'evil' this man has been up to. When they finally confront them, they may finally realize that the people and creatures they have been fighting have been good, some even innocent.

Malconvokers would make interesting enemies in the organization, and would help further any misconceptions.