PDA

View Full Version : Help with Academy Plots

MukkTB
2013-08-24, 03:59 PM
I am going to be DMing a moderately unusual campaign, low level characters in an academy setting. Its a kind of college equivalent with general topics, and a section devoted to magic.

The setting is Algidheart in Irrisen. The student body is comprised of lesser nobility, aspiring merchant's children, second son's, and family rejects of various sorts from the upper nobility. The administration is relatively benign for a N/E area, clocking in at L/G but not stupid enough to upset the establishment.

There was a significant anime influence in setting this up. So far there have been a few fights with random encounter monsters in the wilderness, but mostly we've been roleplaying noncombat situations.

I'm looking for ideas on plots that make good use of an academy/school setting.

Eldaran
2013-08-24, 04:16 PM
I think intrigue fits the setting well, like student's plotting something, or experimenting with magic they shouldn't. Also something like a "danger room" could be good if you need combat amidst roleplay.

AntiTrust
2013-08-24, 04:24 PM
school bake sale/ fundraiser, but someone ends up poisoned

rival school tournament fight

more and more students start dressing the same way and doing the same activities ala secret society/cult

new head teacher start shaking up the status quo in a way thats bad for the players (think harry potter dolores umbridge)

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-24, 04:25 PM
Student's experiment gets loose in the lab! capture it alive.

There was an accident, and now there's giant spiders everywhere. Have fun with that.

Absent-minded professor accidentally drew a Circle of Protection from Good instead of Evil for his demonstration on planar binding.

There's rumors of slimy horrors from beyond the stars hiding in the catacombs of the school, but you're not scared of some baseless rumors are you?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-24, 06:15 PM
http://www.dndwiki.com/wiki/Sigil_Prep_%283.5e_Campaign_Setting%29