PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Bard Help

EvilAvocado
2013-08-24, 05:35 PM
Joining a new PF game.
They are already at 9th level.
currently consisting of a Barbarian, Wizard, Melee cleric.

I was thinking a Bard or Archaeologist bard would round out the party best.

Can anyone help me with the build?

All Pathfinder materials allowed (not 3rd party) 30kgold and 25 point buy.

If you have an idea besides bard feel free to pitch it as well!

Thanks in advance!

meleemage
2013-08-24, 06:17 PM
Well it looks like there are no stealth characters in there party a good niche for a bard to fill. So i recommend you give yourself a decent dex, and take the thundercaller archtype. that way when you are with the group your bard can inspire courage or join the wizard in blasting things. And if you scout ahead with stealth and get caught you can still hold your own in single combat.

Bhaakon
2013-08-24, 06:51 PM
You can go Sandman Bard to get some roguish skills and "borrow" your allies' spells.

Technically, the ability says "foes," but I don't see why you couldn't take them from willing allies as well.

khachaturian
2013-08-24, 06:55 PM
maybe an evangelist cleric?

Bhaakon
2013-08-24, 07:02 PM
Trapbreaker Alchemist.

watchwood
2013-08-24, 08:17 PM
The Archeologist Bard does get some nice rogue type perks, but the bonuses from the Bard Songs will be very useful when you've got a pair of other melee types in the party. I'd think about avoiding archetypes that trade that away.

A bard is a good fit, though. Careful use of skill points will make up a lot of the function you'd otherwise gain from a rogue, especially when boosted with judicious use of spells from you and the other casters.

EvilAvocado
2013-08-24, 09:56 PM
The wizard just emailed me
"I play an enchanter (manipulator subschool), and I've used my build points to make my wizard (Otto) more like a "scoundrel," so that he can also provide lockpicking, disguise, stealth and fancy swordplay if necessary"

i'm thinking I should maybe go straight bard then.

any advice for that direction?

Beowulf DW
2013-08-24, 10:48 PM
Arcane duelist might work well. You could stay close to your allies on the front line for the sake of buffs, and still mix it up with the bad guys.

khachaturian
2013-08-25, 10:04 AM
so it sounds like your wizard has essentially created a beguiler. if your original intent in making a bard was to create a support character with inspire courage, skills, illusion, and enchantment, i think that the enchanter/beguiler will have most of that covered.

for a character focused on support and buffing, i think that the evangelist cleric is a much stronger option than the bard. you still get inspire courage in addition to full casting, a domain and channel. leadership can be a nice domain for a support role. this choice could also free up the melee cleric to focus more on cracking skulls. in terms of stackable buffs, even just for attack bonus, you can have bless, inspire courage, inspiring command, blessing of fervor.