PDA

View Full Version : Ironclaw Clan Dungeon Delvers, IC

Pages : [1] 2

Downzorz
2013-08-24, 07:16 PM
First, some preliminaries. Descriptive speech will be in Indigo. Major or recurring characters will have their own colors and styles of speech, while minor or one-time characters will have Sea Green speech. Out-of-character speech will be separated by a line of five dashes.

Thus begins the saga of the Ironclaw Clan Dungeon Delvers...
-----
You stand in a long hall, easily a hundred yards deep and twenty wide, with ornate torches dotting the walls. For the better part of an hour you have been listening to speeches by Ironclaw Clan dwarves, letting you know about the greatness, adventure, and profit that awaits you. Around you are crowds of fellow adventurers, all uniquely armed and armored, all there for the same job as you. The ones around you seem much like yourself- talented, but not yet having reached their fullest potential. As you contemplate this, the speaker, on a platform elevated ten feet off the ground ahead, concludes his speech:
"...in summary, the Ironclaw Clan offers the greatest possibilities for internal advancement of any organization across the planes. Now, please welcome our great leader... Melichor Ironclaw!"
The crowd around you erupts into loud cheering as a heavily armored dwarf strides out of the arch at the end of the hall and strides up the stairs and onto the platform. He is encased in armor formed from scales of a red dragon, and wields a finely crafted and ornately decorated Urgrosh, the traditional dwarven weapon. He reaches the top of the platform and begins to speak in a sonorous voice.
I know all of you have been listening to speeches all day, so I'll make this short. All of you have different reasons for being here; some of you want money, some want glory, and some just want some excitement. What is important is that all of you have come here, to the Ironclaw Clan. I am honored to see before me an arrangement of creatures with such potential. Thank you for coming here, and assisting the Ironclaw Clan in our noble cause. Now, all of you will receive your party assignments. The assignments will be sent telepathically, so do not be alarmed. Please proceed to the assigned area.
As Melichor concludes his speech, you notice five other creatures in the crowd who seem highlighted by a golden light. You know that you should find them, as they are your new team. You also know that they will all meet you in a room off to the side of the main hall- which you also realize is your new sleeping quarters and assigned meeting area.
-----
The indicated teammates are your fellow PC's.

AngryCyc
2013-08-24, 07:53 PM
Girp

Girp waves at the people indicated: "hey! Hi guys! Hiii!"

...people look at him like he's gross.

Tris
2013-08-24, 08:47 PM
Garth smiles and waves back at Girp. Then, he starts walking over to the meeting room.

Downzorz
2013-08-24, 09:12 PM
Girp draws a few strange looks from the crowd, but the sheer diversity of creatures among them disguises Girp's strangeness well enough. As Girp and Garth wander into the room, they find it to be a large stone room, thirty by thirty feet, with six beds along the far wall from the entrance and a table with seven chairs in the middle. Seated in one of the chairs is a plainly-dressed dwarf with a long grey beard.
"Hello there!" the dwarf says jauntily. "We'll describe your first assignment as soon as the rest of the party arrives.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-24, 09:49 PM
Haughtily, Dirlor strides over to a random meeting room, not seeing the lights that he was advised by the other dwarven protectors that every adventurer in the room would be seeing.
Dirlor is a short dwarf, scarred on one bare, muscled arm with three parallel jagged cuts, a pale starkness next to his otherwise deeply tanned flesh. Apart from this one arm, he is wearing a standard dwarven-made chainshirt, metal links covering his entire body in a double layer unique to the race compared with the human-made single layer shirts designed to cover only the upper body. A white shirt is draped over this chainmail, displaying the symbolic hammer and anvil of Moridin, chief deity of the dwarves.
A large, wooden shield is slung over his back, the image of Clan Ironclaw decorating its deep red surface, marred also by a series of spikes ringing the carefully shined shield-boss. Beside his shield is a vicious looking morning star and a backpack, rope and bedroll.
Thusly dressed, the dwarf shoves his way through the crowd of fools and dishonourable thugs, toward his goal of the previously selected meeting room.

Unknowing which specific fools and murderers he would find within, Dirlor finally reaches the room and crashes his way in. Settling into a regal posture, he regards the inhabitants. A gnome, two men, an abominable goblin and, most unexpectedly and completely out of place, a celestial creature are also within.
Carefully - nae, warily - Dirlor stares through bushy facial hair at each in turn, however neglecting to disrespect the angel in such a way.

"It appears that I shall be representing Moridin and the Ironclaw Clan in your endeavors. Believe me when I say that I'm not going to enjoy the company of ... adventurers." He spits the last word as if with a curse. "However, it is the will of the church that I travel with one of these cursed groups."
Folding his arms over his large chest, careful not to excessively crumple his white vest, he awaits the other dwarf's intructions.

Downzorz
2013-08-25, 12:37 AM
I realize that waiting for everyone to describe how they walk into the room is probably more trouble than it is worth.
-----
As you arrive in the room, the dwarf seated in the chair greets each of you in turn. When you all are arrived, he begins speaking.
"Good, you are all here. Look around you- this is your adventuring party. These are the people you will trust to have your back in the coming months. Get to know them and their abilities- they will be your only salvation in the places beyond the portals. Now, onto the business side of things.
Firstly, when not on assignment, you will have free reign of the Deep City. Maps, along with a few other items you may find handy, will be located under your beds. You will be treated to free food and drink at the dining halls, but anything other than that you will have to pay for. You will also have unlimited access to the smithy, alchemy labs, and libraries, though you will have to pay for any materials you wish to use. There are restricted areas, but they will be clearly marked and guarded.
Second, you will receive assignments through courier, usually at least twenty-four hours in advance. You are expected to be at the correct portal room at the assigned time.
Finally, I have here for you your first assignment. Read it carefully and be at the assigned portal in eighteen hours time."
The dwarf hands you a scroll, with the Ironclaw Clan seal upon it. The scroll reads as follows:

Your first assignment will be to pass through the portal to an underground complex known as the Twin Tombs. It is thusly named because the complex consists of a tomb that once belonged to a human sorcerer, built on top of the remains of a tomb that housed a dwarven king and queen. The human was a necromancer, so there is a good chance that the tomb will be populated with undead, but it shouldn't be anything serious. We want you to retrieve the coffin of a dwarven king- the coffin is purported to be the key to a treasure room hidden in the dungeon. The coffin should be returned to us intact an unopened, and the secret treasure room should remain untouched, if you are lucky enough to find it; other than that, anything you find in the dungeon is yours to keep.

Best of luck,
Melichor Ironclaw

-----
At this point you can go do things like socializing at the dining hall or forge, or you can go grab some food and eight hours of sleep before heading off to the dungeon.

Tris
2013-08-25, 01:58 AM
"Well, I'm hungry. Would anyone like to join me for a bite to eat?" Garth says as he sets down his backpack. He smiles at everybody.

hoverfrog
2013-08-25, 03:36 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

Arythwil was late. He'd been right at the back of the crowd and had difficulty getting through the press of dwarves. "Sorry, sorry I'm late. I'm Ary. Arythwil Shadowhorn." He shook his brown hood from a shock of thick, pale, red hair and smiled. His clothes were plain in contrast and practical cloth and leather. The gnome blushed as everyone turned to look at him, "Sorry."

He quickly moved over to the food and started eating. Though he was curious about this sorcerer he would leave the questions to the others for now.

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 08:13 AM
Kythian

Kythian is the next to arrive. Though the man towers above most others in the great hall at seven feet in height, he moves gracefully as he strides into the quarters. He's human in appearance, handsome and well muscled, but his violet eyes and hair suggest another heritage.

He carries few belongings with him, but a massive, gleaming greatsword is slung across his back and he's clad in a suit of brigandine.

He opens his mouth to speak, but what comes out sounds like bells and chimes. He shakes his head at your confused expressions, and starts over, in common this time. "Apologies, friends, I'm still getting used to this. My name is Kythian, and it will be my honor and privilege to fight alongside heroes such as you as we release these lost souls to their final rest. I offer you my services as both a warrior and a healer. Royal bloodlines sometimes are powerful, and who knows what perverse plans this necromancer had in mind. It is surely not coincidence that his (or her) tomb was built atop theirs."

The way he emphasizes the word "necromancer" and grimaces while speaking it, it's almost as if the word itself tastes bad moving across his tongue. He takes a seat on a bed which groans under his weight. He offers his share of food to those who are already getting ready to partake in theirs, and then speaks a quiet prayer before re-reading his scroll.

Casting purify food & drink on the provided food out of simple precaution.

hoverfrog
2013-08-25, 08:35 AM
"Um, do we know for sure that they'll be undead?" Ary looks around at his companions, "Are there any experts in the local legends among us? Do we know the name of the necromancer for example?"

He turns to Kythian, "You're a divine caster. Do you have power to repel undead monsters?"

Untrained knowledge check for local legends [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana) check for mysteries or traditions centred around this necromancer sorcerer [roll1]

AngryCyc
2013-08-25, 08:42 AM
Girp

Girp observes the people in his party, and then says "Well I for one am excited for this job to start! And you all seem like a decent group to be matched up with! I haven't tangled with undead before though, so that should be interesting... I'm excited to get to some action though!

Does anyone know... do undead have blood still? Like.. when I'm ripping into them with my hands, what's that going to be like? Messier than a living person or cleaner..? OOOOH don't tell me! I'll find out soon enough! Oh boy I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep tonight with all this excitement!"

He eats a quick meal and then scurries off to bed, eager to get to sleep as soon as he can so that the next day will arrive swifter.

If anyone looks at him with disdain or disgust at his obvious enjoyment of violence, he is completely oblivious to it and just registers the facial expressions as being excited as well.

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 08:52 AM
"Um, do we know for sure that they'll be undead?"

Not with certainty, though it sounds from our instructions like the chances are high that we will encounter them.

"You're a divine caster. Do you have power to repel undead monsters?"

"Only with my sword."

"Are there any experts in the local legends among us? Do we know the name of the necromancer for example?"

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't mind asking around a bit this evening. I'll be rested enough whenever we decide to head out.

Once the conversation in their room wraps up, Kythian can spend some time in the library and the pub trying to gather some information on the necromancer. He doesn't need the sleep and can live without rememorizing purify food & drink.

Gather Information Skill Check: 1d20+3
Gather Information Duration: 1d4+1 hours.

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 11:00 AM
(I have to do the rolling in a new post rather than an edit)

Once the conversation in their room wraps up, Kythian can spend some time in the library and the pub trying to gather some information on the necromancer. He doesn't need the sleep and can live without rememorizing purify food & drink.

Gather Information Skill Check: [roll0]
Gather Information Duration: [roll1] hours.

zingbobco000
2013-08-25, 11:50 AM
You see a young man walk over to your motley band of heroes, he seems to stand apart from the rest of the crowd slightly, almost with an aura of death. But what marks him out the most is a dragon mark on his forehead. "I'm sorry that I was so late, I felt deeply moved by our great dwarf's speech. I was tired though, so to regain my arcane power I took a small rest and found you guys." he then continued, only pausing to inhale deeply "This necromancer interests me, for he would have some arcane power so I am coming as that."

Downzorz
2013-08-25, 11:50 AM
Hoverfrog: First Knowledge check reveals that the Necromancer had a taste for raising his enemies as skeletons after slaying them. Second Knowledge check reveals naught.

Gnarnia: Gather Information check reveals:
Rumors that the Necromancer was undead himself, and would walk around doused in contact poisons, killing people with a touch.
Rumors that the Necromancer's tomb was actually a prison of sorts, where his body could be sealed.

Tris
2013-08-25, 12:34 PM
After finishing his food, Garth starts to feel sleepy. He says, "See you all later" and goes to lay down on his bed. Before going to sleep, he picks up his new journal and begins to write his first entry.

3/10/23/5
Today, I met my new companions. There is a Goblin named Girp who seemed nice at first, but his excitement at ripping through flesh disturbs me. I guess, I should be glad he's not ripping through mine. There's also a Paladin assigned to us by the Ironclaw Clan. He doesn't seem to like us adventurers. We also have an Angel. That is kind of exiting and unexpected. Finally, we've got a gnome and a sorcerer. I hope to get to know these people better tomorrow. Our first assignment is to retrieve a coffin of a dead king. Apparently, a necromancer used to live there, so there will likely be undead.

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 01:19 PM
Kythian

After receiving the disturbing news, Kythian returns to the sleeping quarters. With no reason to wake them now, he perches on his bed watches over his companions, awaiting the morning.

hoverfrog
2013-08-25, 04:23 PM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

Arythwil sleeps comfortably after his meal unaware that an angel watches over them. He's chosen a bed in the corner of the barracks. rather than sleep on top of the thin mattress he's dragged the blankets under the bed and settled down in his own nest.

Templeton, his rat familiar, spends part of the night curled up under Ary's chin before going off to explore the small room. Grey whiskers twitch as he spies Kythian but sensing no threat from he ignores him and looks around instead. The gnome has left some cheese and peanut butter in a dish near the bed but Templeton wanted the something crunchy. Barracks always had insects and so he spent an hour hunting roaches and beetles before finishing off the sticky food left behind for him.

In the morning Ary woke early when Templeton nudged him and nibbled at his ear, "Yawn. Morning, my ratty friend. Have you been exploring?" He sees the shiny man keeping watch across the room. Climbing out from under the bed he goes to wash and brush his teeth. He considers using a spell to clean himself but he may need it on the mission. Changing into his leathers he packs away the brown cloth shirt and breeches in the small chest provided.

"Kythian, you were out late. Did you find out anything? After you left I remembered something about the sorcerer. I can't remember the name but I do recall that he was a mage fond of creating skeletons from his enemies. He had a reputation for tormenting those who resisted him before killing them and animating their bones. I'm sure there's more to it than that."

"So we have to get through this tomb to reach the dwarven tomb. I'd guess that we'll have to face skeletons and the remains of the victims of the necromancer and then mechanical traps of some kind. I'm hoping that Girp is good with locks and traps because I'm not and I don't see you having skills in those areas, no offence."

OOC
I think I've got the best Open Lock and Search checks in the party. That's not a good thing.

Tris
2013-08-25, 04:50 PM
Garth wakes up refreshed and ready to tackle today's challenges. He puts his journal away but keeps everything else in his backpack.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-25, 06:41 PM
Without mingling in the conversation of the day, Dirlor managed to avoid accidentally insulting the heathen sorcerer or bloodlusting goblin - something he took pride in having the restraint to do. Mulling over this whilst he watched and listened, he decided that this entire ordeal would be exceedingly difficult, not just because he had to travel with adventurers, but also because many of them appeared on the face of it, completely insane and corrupt.

Following the group to their sleeping chambers, clinking with every step and hearing the soft, hollow whump of his shield bumping the backpack and morning star on every second stride, the holy Dwarf reconsidered his task. He knew of his own strengths, and was fully aware that whilst he was almost certainly strong enough to overpower one of the smaller members of the party, and Moridin would protect him from the spells of that infernal sorcerer, he could not possibly stop them at the same time as he dealt with the human warrior that called himself "Garth". Therefore, his role could not possibly be that of warden and sentry to force divine law upon the group. Rather, he must act as a moral and spritual guide to help them see the correct side of the world and understand the word of Moridin and the other true gods.

Such a decision was made in his mind by the time they reached their rooms. Still tense around his newfound companions, Dirlor removed his packs and bedroll, covered them with his shield and tucked the spiked morningstar into his belt, retaining his mail for fear of attack from the backstabbing traitors that all adventurers were.
It was not hard to notice the angel remaining awake through the night, a small comfort that he took on his vigilant watch throughout the night. A watch he was determined to retain until the allocated time of meeting in now far less than the assigned eighteen hours...

The next morning, when the party awoke they would have seen (and easily heard) the slumped figure of the dwarf seated heavily upon one of the beds, still fully encased in his armour and his weapon digging into his side due to his slightly forward lean. A rumble like a troll with a bad sniffle emenated from within the wide, sleeping figure. With a grunt, followed by a low groan, he returned to the waking world.

Still red from embarrasment of his own making, the dwarf follows the rest of the party to the meeting place with sore limbs. Refusing to grumble about the pinching of chain links that occurred during the night and left his entire body a mass of welts, as well as the massive bruise darkening his already tanned skin on his side from his morning star's spikes pushing the chainmail into his gut over the course of many hours. His shabby appearance, ungroomed beard and ruffled white coat are also obviously attributed to this poor night of sleep.

Wishing to strike up a conversation with one of his new "friends", he quickly selected the angel as the most reasonable target.
Fumbling around in his mind for the creature's name, he finally speaks.
"Err...Kythian, isn't it?" Without waiting for a response, he rushes into his question, "How does someone of such a celestial heritage as your own end up with the scum of the world in a career of adventuring?"

Satisfied with his question, and oblivious to the inherent insult within it, Dirlor awaits the Angel's response.

zingbobco000
2013-08-25, 07:44 PM
Koin wakes up from a long refreshing sleep, and feeling like he should learn more about this "necromancer" that his companions are talking about, he asks around for rumors. He also decides to practice his magic on undead and tries to get a better explanation of what they are and how they could possibly lead to their master's downfall

Rolls (gather info/knowledge: arcana)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 08:24 PM
Kythian

This conversation will take place in the morning. Just leaving some room in case the DM rules we get ambushed in the night or something :)

Kythian smiles warmly as his companions rouse themselves from their slumber. He nods an acknowledgement to Arythwil, but answers Dirlor's question first.

"Though priests of luck would probably disagree, there is an expression that nothing happens by chance. I hail from Lunia (some also call it the Silver Heaven). It's the lowest of the Seven Heavens, and as such it's the closest to the other planes of existence. There is a great shining sea of holy water, and upon the shores of that sea are portals to and from a countless number of planes.

As it would happen, I had been called to the Citadel of Stars. I know not for what, as I never made it. I did reach the citadel, but therein I stumbled across a portal where one should not be... a rippling in the air like water evaporating over warm sands. I was curious, and stepped through, only to find myself amongst a group of Ironclaw clan standing their ground against a pack of fiendish Hyenas.

I didn't hesitate in assisting them, and when the battle was won they told me of this adventuring hall and how portals to other realms and planes, particularly darker ones, have been appearing in the caverns here. I took this as a sign that I was meant to stumble through that portal and took up their offer to join this adventuring group. It seems, at least for the moment, that this is where I am meant to be.

And so this tale continues forward to our present mission and Arythwil's questions. I spoke with a historian and some of the other adventurers here, and the stories I heard about this necromancer are even darker than what we first thought. It seems he may not just create undead, but might himself be unliving. There are stories that he would douse himself in poisons and afflict those he touched with terrible maladies from which they eventually died. The tomb in which he is buried is not a place of honor or respect, but was instead crafted as a prison from which his evil could not escape. If all of this is true, it is very likely that his evil lurks there to this day. That would also mean, however, that this is where we are meant to be, and that by engaging on this mission we can lay to rest not only a great many lost souls, but also the very source of evil that ties them to this plane.

As for traps and the like, I fear I'm of little use in this regard. Truth be told, this plane is still very foreign to me and I know almost nothing of the skills and trades of which its denizens ply. It's only through the generosity of others that I discovered as much about this necromancer as I did.

And what about you? What brought you to this adventuring company?"

Tris
2013-08-25, 09:39 PM
"My reasons for coming here are simple. I heard there was an employment opportunity for adventurers over here, and so I came. I too hope that I can help fight the evil that lives beyond the portals."

zingbobco000
2013-08-25, 10:53 PM
"My reasons for coming here are simple. I heard there was an employment opportunity for adventurers over here, and so I came. I too hope that I can help fight the evil that lives beyond the portals."

Koin walks over after hearing some conversation "Ahhh.. Yes, well I came here because of a ancient text of supposed great power to help my power grow. (whispers) I also came here for some money as well."

Downzorz
2013-08-25, 10:59 PM
Zingbobco: Gather Information check reveals more rumors: The necromancer was slain in body and bound by the dagger that killed him. The dagger now hosts what is left of his soul.
Knowledge: Arcana check reveals that the Necromancer's soul is likely able to affect the area around his body, although he cannot act physically without a host.
-----
You all awaken, finding yourselves refreshed and ready to go. After making any necessary preparations, you proceed to the assigned portal. The guard there greets you, and you note a trio of goblins and a minotaur there; one taller, red-skinned goblin with two serrated swords, one goblin covered in black leather armor and armed with a crossbow, and another with platemail, a mace, and a shield. The minotaur is small for his race, but stands proudly tall and with an aura of confidence about him, his large greatsword resting easily on his shoulders, bare-furred except for a chainmail kilt. The guard, a flaming red-haired dwarf explains the workings of the mission to you:
"Hey there. So how this works is: you enter the portal. Go do your adventuring thing. You will have one hour to clear the dungeon and retrieve the coffin. If you fail to retrieve the item in that time, the second party, as you see here, will be sent in behind you. If that happens, you will split your share of the automatic reward for clearing the area with the second party. As for the coffin, whoever brings it out gets the prize- but remember that attacking any fellow Ironclaw adventurers is forbidden. Good luck, and do try to make it out alive."
The guard pulls a lever on the wall, and the portal before you shifts from a swirling green to a solid violet color, signaling its opening.
-----
It's dungeon time. When you take your first actions within the dungeon, make an initiative roll- this will be your initiative roll for combat the whole time, to save time by not rerolling initiative at the beginning of every combat.

AngryCyc
2013-08-25, 11:05 PM
Girp

Smiling at the other goblins and giving them a wave, Girp bravely steps through...

Initiative [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-08-25, 11:45 PM
Kythian

Kythian draws the massive greatsword from its sling, gripping it firmly in his hands. Giving a polite nod towards the other party, he leaps through the portal.

Initiative: [roll0]

Downzorz
2013-08-25, 11:53 PM
As you enter the portal, a moment of disorientation takes you before you find yourself in a different room. The room is approximately 30' by 70', with a low, 10' tall ceiling. The sandstone walls are decorated with hieroglyphs and art depicting the fall of an army of skeletons to a group of humans, and the sealing of the necromancer in the tomb. The room is illuminated from light descending from giant lenses set into the ceiling- from what you have learned about the construction, this is likely to be reflected sunlight from outside. The floor is tiled sandstone, interrupted in the middle of the room by a 5x5 grid of magical runes, each covering about a 5' square. You know from the orientation packet that these runes control the portal, and you know the combination to return- first press the tile one down and one left from the top right, then four down and four left, then four left. You also know that other combinations exist that may open the portal to other areas or draw forth magical effects.

You detect no creatures, or indeed movement of any sort. You see at the end of the room a 20' wide pit, and across from that another room. You see the edge of a stone door in an alcove ahead and to your left.
-----
Here is the map:

+++...+++
+...GK..+
+.......+
+.......+
+.xxxxx.+
+.xxxxx.+
+.xxxxx..
+.xxxxx...
+.xxxxx....D
+..........+
+.......+++
+......+
+......+
+......+
+......+
+--+
+--+
+--+
+--+
+++DD+++

D= door, closed
+= wall
-= pit
.= empty floor
G= Girp
K= Kythian
spaces are out of your line of sight

PrivateJunior
2013-08-26, 12:01 AM
Not bothering to grace the goblinoids with even a nod, Dirlor steps through the portal, drawing his mace and readying his shield in the process. Allowing goblins in the city. Disgusting. Have we fallen so low as to call our greatest enemies apart from the giants themselves to our aid in times of minor distress? Bah!

Knowing his own reaction times to be slower than other creatures, he warily prepares for attacks as soon as he reaches the other side of the portal. Stepping aside to allow others to pass through the gateway, he awaits the backstabbing that he had been brought up to believe adventurers were wont to participate in. Once inside the dungeon, the slime could claim an honest dwarven life to steal his gear under the cover of a false story about tricks and traps and wandering creatures of the deep. Best to keep his guard, then.

Initiative:
[roll0]

AngryCyc
2013-08-26, 12:01 AM
Girp

Holding a finger up to his mouth to indicate being quiet, Girp gestures that he's going to check out the door ahead. He stealthily sneaks towards to doorway and looks inside.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Tris
2013-08-26, 12:06 AM
Garth unsheathes his longsword and enters the portal.

"Here we go!" he says with a smile.

After coming out the other side he sees the goblin sneaking towards the door and waits quietly by the portal.

Gnarnia
2013-08-26, 12:49 AM
Kythian

Kythian moves alongside the magical runes, hugging the wall, and stops before reaching the corner, his sword still drawn

(staying around the corner, out of view of the door, but close enough so that if the goblin runs into trouble he'll be positioned to assist). Basically in between the wall and the "X"s which I think represent the runes

hoverfrog
2013-08-26, 03:44 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"Why would I take up the life of an adventurer? To improve my illusions and gain a better understanding of the workings of magic. Actually using magic is better than just studying it, don't you think?"

--

At the entrance Ary listened carefully to the instructions. One hour only. Time to prepare then. He began chanting and moments later a small, lit candle appeared in his hand. It was crude and the flame guttered but it indicated that the spell worked. "Ready?" Loading his sling he stepped through the portal

Cast Prestidigitation. Duration 1 hour

Initiative [roll0]

PrivateJunior
2013-08-26, 03:56 AM
A shimmering tinkle of sound accompanied by the more regular thuds of booted feet indicate Dirlor's decision to begin moving. He starts slowly, pulling the weight of his armour and weapons into an impetus that allowed him more steady travel. Reaching the runes upon the floor and knowing that he couldn't easily skirt them with such a bulky and unwieldy frame, Dirlor mutters a prayer to Moridin for strength and resilience before he collides with the strange markings. A prayer that is drowned out with the rest of his cacophonous procession.

OOC: I don't know what these are going to do, so I'll roll out a save in case something bad happens. Modifiers to the roll dependent on the required save, of course.
[roll0]

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 08:51 AM
The runes don't do anything unless intentionally activated. You can stand on them just fine. And yeah, the x's were supposed to be runes, oops.
Angrycyc: assuming you crack the closed doors.
-----
The six of you charge into the dungeon. Girp cracks the ornate stone doors and looks into the next room, seeing a dimmer, but still well-lit hallway. Past the 25' hallway you see another room, this one with alcoves all along the north and east side walls. Inside each of these alcoves are a pair of human immobile human skeletons, each dressed in leather armor and wielding a battleaxe. You recognize the insignia on their chest matches the one of those fighting the necromancer's army in the paintings on the wall. Though all posed in threatening positions, none of them appear to be moving.
...however, two of them do have an unusual, dark energy bubbling behind their empty eye sockets. Despite not moving, you get the distinct impression that these two could move if they so desired.
-----
Map:

+++...+++
+..TA...+
+.......+
+.......+
+.xRxxx.+
+.xxxxx.++++ ++ ++ ++
+.xxxxx....+++++++..+..+..+
+Kxxxxx...GD...............+
+.xxxxx....D...............+
+..........++++++.........+
+.......+++ .......+
+......+ ....+
+......+ .+
+......+
+......+
+--+
+--+
+--+
+--+
+++DD+++

D= door, closed
+= wall
-= pit
.= empty floor
x= runes
G= Girp
K= Kythian
R= Dirlor
T= Garth
A= Ary
spaces are out of your line of sight

Actually, never played Dwarf Fortress. This is just my best representation of what is on my map, which is actually an Excel file. Since that is the closest thing to mapping software I have.

zingbobco000
2013-08-26, 09:08 AM
Koin comes in, sort of hiding in the back, not out of cowardness but because he is a weakling. Seeing the skeletons he quickly throws up a shield around himself and then quickly loads his crossbow to shoot.

OOC: +7 to AC +4 to REF

Edit: Whoops! I forgot inititive

roll
1d20+5

Tris
2013-08-26, 10:05 AM
Garth gets ready next to the door, waiting to charge in and attack the skeletons.

zingbobco000
2013-08-26, 10:30 AM
Actual roll
[roll0]

AngryCyc
2013-08-26, 11:23 AM
Girp

Girp holds up a hand. "Hold on, team... let's see if they are even hostile before we rush in and attack them. No point in starting a fight that we could've avoided. If you guys want to ready yourselves to attack, do that... I'm going to try to slip up closer to them and see if maybe they will let us pass without harm."

Girp slips out of the door and edges along the wall, trying to stay out of sight, and makes his way slowly down the corridor.

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 04:23 PM
As Girp moves foreward out of the hallway, the two animated skeletons nimbly move forward to attack. The rest of the room is nondescript, aside from a sealed door on the south end.
-----
Koin has initiative, then the skeletons. Make your move.

EDIT: Derp, map. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHOEhXSmxpZEw0ajA/edit?usp=sharing

zingbobco000
2013-08-26, 05:57 PM
Koin nimbly moves to the right 6 squares, then, after moving uses disrupt undead (hitting the closest one to me)

Roll
Touch attack: [roll0]

Simply stated, that won't hit.

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 06:25 PM
Redoing this because I was having trouble.
-----
The skeleton nimbly avoids Koin's touch, then rounds the corner and attempts to attack him. The bony creature swings his battleaxe as it lets forth a dry, desiccated howl.

Skeleton moves to T9, provokes AOO from Girp.
To hit: [roll0]
Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical: [roll3]

The second animate skeleton charges the goblin that just entered the room, swinging its axe with abandon.

Skeleton charges to V10 and attacks Girp
To hit: [roll4]
Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Critical: [roll7]

-----
I'll update the map when everyone has taken a turn. In the future, when making rolls, try to condense them as much as possible, so do the whole hit/confirm/damage/critical thing, or in a case like Zingbobco's just hit/damage.

EDIT: Wow, terrible skeleton rolling. Gogogadget Kythian's turn!

AngryCyc
2013-08-26, 06:27 PM
Girp

Girp takes the chance to swing at the skeleton attacking his new comrade.

Claw to hit: [roll0]
Crit: [roll3]

And then takes a full attack at the skeleton that just charged him, scratching and biting at it with his claws and teeth, though they don't appear to be very effective against the bones...

Claw to hit: [roll4]
Crit: [roll7]

Claw to hit: [roll8]
Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Crit: [roll11]

Bite to hit: [roll12]
Confirm: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Crit: [roll15]

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 08:01 PM
Girp

Girp takes the chance to swing at the skeleton attacking his new comrade.

And then takes a full attack at the skeleton that just charged him, scratching and biting at it with his claws and teeth, though they don't appear to be very effective against the bones...

Claw to hit: [roll8]

Bite to hit: [roll12]
Confirm: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Crit: [roll15]

The first skeleton nimbly dodges out of the way of Girp's claws. The second dodges Girp's bite but takes a few hits from the claws; however, they do little harm to the creature's bones.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-26, 08:02 PM
"What's going on? Why is everyone crowded around that door like women bickering about cloth?" Dirlor begins roughly, calling across the room. Finally understanding, he erupts, cursing the skeletons and vowing their destruction.
"Living dead? I cannot allow them to continue their unnatural lives any longer. Get out of my way! Give me passage!"
With a mighty cry, the dwarf picks up speed and crashes over to the door in a lumbering, roiling charge.

Double move at the doors. Puts him on the left hand side of the upper door on the map. Adjacent to the door, just to be clear.:smallsmile:

Tris
2013-08-26, 08:58 PM
Garth charges to Koin's side and slashes his sword at the skeleton.

Gnarnia
2013-08-26, 09:14 PM
Kythian rushes forward, charging the nearest skeleton and throwing his full weight into the swing.

Charge: +2 hit, -2 AC until next round
Power Attack: -1 hit, +2 dmg

Gonna skip critical confirmation since they're undead.

Attack Roll (above modifiers included): [roll0]
Damage roll (above modifiers included): [roll1]

edit: If charge isn't possible, he'll move & attack as normal, for an attack roll of 19 with same damage

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 09:29 PM
Under the combined weight of blows from Kythian and Garth, the skeleton threatening Koin crumbles.
-----
That leaves Ary and Koin with turns left to take.

zingbobco000
2013-08-26, 09:38 PM
Koin, looking at the slain skeleton and his comrades says quickly "thank you" before continuing the battle he pulls out his crossbow, loads it, then throws a shield over Kythian (same as before +7 AC +4 REF)

Downzorz
2013-08-26, 09:54 PM
Map Update!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHcEYzenBKMEVCMDQ/edit?usp=sharing

hoverfrog
2013-08-27, 04:00 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"Oh dear," Ary loads his sling and chases after the others. His sling wouldn't be much use against the undead, nor would his spells so he kept an eye out for anything following them.

Firing into combat? I'd probably hit someone on my own team.
Spot check [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-08-27, 09:22 AM
Kythian strides forward, moving just south of the goblin, and swings powerfully again at the remaining skeleton if it still stands

Attack roll w/ power attack: [roll0]
Damage roll w/ power attack: [roll1]

OOC Edit: Hrm, Glad I'm power attacking. Otherwise I'd have hit for 0 damage. Stupid skeletons

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 10:42 AM
The remaining skeleton drops its axe and savagely assaults Girp with both claws.

To hit:[roll0]
To confirm:[roll1]

To hit:[roll4]
To confirm:[roll5]

-----
This occurs before Kythian's charge.
-----
Kythian's blade digs into the bones of the skeleton, but fails to do substantial damage.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 12:36 PM
Girp
Girp angrily claws back!

Bite to hit: [roll8]

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 02:19 PM
Girp
Girp angrily claws back!

Bite to hit: [roll8]

One claw glances off the skeleton's armor, another is dodged by the bony creature, but Girp's bite rips the thing's skill clear off it's neck, and it falls in a pile of bones.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 03:00 PM
Girp

"... Oh! Hey. Armor and weapons. Sweet. We should take some of that on the way out."

Tris
2013-08-27, 03:44 PM
"We should search the room for anything valuable"
Search: [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-08-27, 04:31 PM
Kythian peers at the remaining skeletons, trying to determine if the same dark magic that animated these could hold sway over those as well. If he senses nothing, he'll continue on towards the double doors at the south end of the room.

Casting detect evil. If the 1st round doesn't detect the presence of evil, he'll continue exploring. If he does detect some evil, he'll spend the 2 additional trounds trying to pinpoint it.

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 04:40 PM
Garth searches the room and finds that one of the skeletons has two rubies replacing two of its back teeth.
Kythian detects a faint aura of evil emanating from Girp, but nothing else.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-27, 04:44 PM
Carried on short legs, Dirlor barrels into the room. Late.
Cursing, he examines the bones, trying to find the race of their original form, before they had been forced to live after death, bound to the room and then released by the blades and teeth of his new "companions".

After this evaluation, he continues sternly to the next pair of doors.

Not sure if his identification is a search check or perhaps a Knowledge(something) check, but all the same.
[roll0]

Tris
2013-08-27, 04:46 PM
Garth takes the two rubies. "I found some rubies." he tells his fellow party members

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 05:32 PM
Dirlor finds that the skeletons are human-sized and shaped; aside from that he can tell nothing of note.
-----
Misread what you were trying for at first, oops.

zingbobco000
2013-08-27, 06:31 PM
Koin casts detect magic and also searches around the room,

[roll0]

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 07:24 PM
Koin casts detect magic and also searches around the room,

[roll0]

You detect no magical auras and find nothing of note.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 07:47 PM
Girp

"lets go check out that pit in the other room before we go open any more doors... Those skellies packed a whallop!"

Girp heads back out and approaches the pit, edging up slowly to it to look down it.

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 08:07 PM
Girp

"lets go check out that pit in the other room before we go open any more doors... Those skellies packed a whallop!"

Girp heads back out and approaches the pit, edging up slowly to it to look down it.

The pit appears to drop down about fifty feet, ending abruptly with a flat stone floor. The pit is empty, although you notice that the pit is the only area you've seen so far where the walls aren't decorated.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 08:18 PM
Girp

He grabs some loose gravel or dirt or whatever is around, and throws it over the pit... Just to see. (If) When nothing happens, he returns to the rest of the group in the other room and prepares to peek I'm through the other door.

zingbobco000
2013-08-27, 08:19 PM
As Koin's magical shield ends, he to, peeks through the door right with Girp.

Tris
2013-08-27, 08:29 PM
Garth gathers near the door, ready to fight anything that might attack them.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 08:37 PM
Girp

"Oh y'all wanna go first this time? Be my guest. I'm hurting from that last one."

Tris
2013-08-27, 08:41 PM
"I can withstand more wounds than you so, I will go first" Garth opens the door.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-27, 09:04 PM
Shuffling in second, Dirlor readies his weapon and shield.

Readies action: If someone attacks Garth, Dirlor will take up to a 5-foot step (if required) to hit the attacker with his mace.
If it comes to that;
To Hit: [roll0]
Critical: [roll1]

Gotta cover your friends!:smallbiggrin:
EDIT* Really hoping that I don't need those rolls...

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 09:30 PM
The next room is a long hallway, marked with more hieroglyphics on the side, with light stemming still from the ceiling. The hallway extends forward and opens into a room, where doors lie on either side.

As Garth steps into the hallway, a section of floor beneath him depresses and suddenly the ceiling opens, letting loose a torrent of sand. The sand hits Garth hard and forms into a pile on the ground. You notice that there are a number of small skeletons scattered throughout the sand; as you look closer, you realize that these are the skeletons of rather (relatively) large scorpions. One skeleton, larger then the rest, suddenly begins to move. It swipes at Garth with its claws and jabs with a stinger. Dirlor swings at the undead scorpion, but misses.
-----
Garth takes [roll0] nonlethal damage from the falling sand and must make a DC 13 Reflex save or fall prone. If Garth does fall prone, all of these attacks are at +4.

To hit: [roll1]
To confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Crit: [roll4]

To hit: [roll5]
To confirm: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit: [roll8]

To hit: [roll9]
To confirm: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
Crit: [roll12]

EDIT: Map. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHdEpaWmJOUmU5M3M/edit?usp=sharing) I'm kinda guessing on the marching order, so correct me if I would be off in any way.

Gnarnia
2013-08-27, 09:44 PM
The clanging of metal on stone echoes through the room as Kythian lets his sword fall to the ground. Holy radiance bursts forth from his fists, motes of light trailing behind his hand as he lunges at the largest of the scorpions.

Free action: Drop two-handed sword.
Charge + power attack w/ natural slam attack roll (bludgeoning): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Charge impact on AC: -2 AC penalty until next action

note: If there's not room to charge, subtract 2 from his attack roll, but nix the AC penalty

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 09:53 PM
The clanging of metal on stone echoes through the room as Kythian lets his sword fall to the ground. Holy radiance bursts forth from his fists, motes of light trailing behind his hand as he lunges at the largest of the scorpions.

Free action: Drop two-handed sword.
Charge + power attack w/ natural slam attack roll (bludgeoning): [roll0]
Charge impact on AC: -2 AC penalty until next action

note: If there's not room to charge, subtract 2 from his attack roll, but nix the AC penalty

Kythian's radiant fists tear the animate scorpion to shreds, leaving scattered pieces of scorpion skeleton on the floor. The smaller scorpion skeletons show no indication of moving.

zingbobco000
2013-08-27, 10:00 PM
Koin thinks out loud "That seemed to be too easy, there must be more of a challenge ahead or some trap of some sorts. Be wary my friends, this may just be the start of this room."

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 10:04 PM
Keep in mind that Garth is still in a quantum state of being hit/not being hit until he rolls that Reflex save.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-27, 10:08 PM
Wait! More of a challenge? As if dropping giant skeletal bugs on us isn't enough. You're mad.

zingbobco000
2013-08-27, 10:12 PM
"I have knowlegde of this necromancy, it would take more power to gaurd the room behind us with those skeletal minions, why just 1 when he could raise 2 or 3 with that much power at his disposal?"

Seeing that only some of his companions have reacted Koin sets his sights on the long hallway, aiming for anything that might come out and attack him, or his allies.

Readies action, attack the nearest hostile creature that approaches.

Gnarnia
2013-08-27, 10:14 PM
Kythian

Kythian strides back and picks up his sword, slipping it back into his sling.

Noticing the goblin holding his side in pain, he steps closer. "Hold still for a moment, Girp, and I'll take care of that for you." He utters a prayer in the Celestial tongue and places his hand on the goblin's forehead, channeling the spirit of the divine. "This healing is given freely to one in need, but I know you must struggle with the darker sides of your nature. We are all at the beginning of the roads we will wander, and I hope as you choose which branches you will walk, you take into consideration give weight to the extent that the forces of light work to keep you in this world while the forces of darkness strive to remove you from it."

Cure Light wounds on Girp. [roll0].

First one cast, one remaining.

Edit: Also, hopefully i understood correctly that combat ended, otherwise I'm gonna eat some attacks of opportunity :p

Downzorz
2013-08-27, 10:21 PM
Also, hopefully i understood correctly that combat ended, otherwise I'm gonna eat some attacks of opportunity :p

Yes, combat is ended. We still don't know if Garth was hit though.

AngryCyc
2013-08-27, 10:34 PM
Kythian
"This healing is given freely to one in need, but I know you must struggle with the darker sides of your nature. We are all at the beginning of the roads we will wander, and I hope as you choose which branches you will walk, you take into consideration give weight to the extent that the forces of light work to keep you in this world while the forces of darkness strive to remove you from it."

Girp
Girp nods along and says thanks, but you're quite certain that he's nodding out of politeness, and he had no idea what all those sentences were about and stopped listening about halfway through.... something about branches and roads...

Afterwards, he ponders for a minute and says, "Hey. That makes me think of something. Shouldn't... shouldn't we maybe smash up these other inanimate skeletons a bit? I mean we're going to feel awfully silly if we leave them be, and then turn around later to see they've all been raisen'd up.

zingbobco000
2013-08-27, 10:38 PM
"Yes I agree"

Gnarnia
2013-08-27, 10:42 PM
Kythian

"It takes a particularly evil source of magic to animate the bodies of the dead. If these were unliving waiting in ambush, I could sense it. Fortunately, they are just the harmless remains of some warriors, it would be best that we leave them to their rest.

These walls are made of stone, and it blocks my ability to sense what's on the other side of doors and the like, but at least for the next few minutes if we see some remains in front of us I'll be able to check if they've been animated or not."

PrivateJunior
2013-08-27, 11:02 PM
In a rough voice, Dirlor joins the angel's explanation with his own.
"I can feel the presence of strong evil as well; something I'm struggling to ignore with you lot around. Something foul-smelling in our group..." he hesitates to stare at the goblinoid, "...is making it difficult to find the evil specific to this place."

Tris
2013-08-27, 11:46 PM
Reflex: [roll0]
I get up if I was knocked prone.
"Thank you for the healing me" Garth says to Kythian "And for the prayer."
I thought that you were healing me. Nevermind.

"Who among us is best at searching for traps?"

Gnarnia
2013-08-28, 12:00 AM
Kythian

"I'm afraid I have no skill at all in that area. I can detect natural hazards, like an unstable rock face, but nothing mechanically designed. If worse comes to worse, we may just have to push through and make sure that our hardier members take the front. I do not mind volunteering for that responsibility if it comes to it."

(ooc: Until we see the result of that reflex roll, I think you've only taken non-lethal damage. If Garth is hurt badly Kyth will heal him (that'll be his last heal for the day though)

Tris
2013-08-28, 12:10 AM
"I'll stay in front. I've only been bruised a little bit"

OOC: You should hold on to that heal. I only have non-lethal damage.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-28, 12:12 AM
If anyone takes the lead, it should be me. I have sworn my life to my clan, and in this place the best way to help my clan is to keep you useless, ruddy adventurers alive.
No offense intended toward our angelic friend, of course.
Besides, I'm a dwarf. It'll take a bit more than a big bucket of sand to knock one of the noble Ironclaw Clan over.
As if this has resolved the issue, Dirlor marches further into the room.
I'm not sure, but I think I'm the one with the most HP here. It's not easy to get much more than 15 at level one...

Tris
2013-08-28, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure, but I think I'm the one with the most HP here. It's not easy to get much more than 15 at level one...
I have 15 also, but I have taken some nonlethal damage.

hoverfrog
2013-08-28, 04:35 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

Ary nervously follows the warriors. His magic hasn't yet been required but he stands ready for when it is. As they reach the sand his makes a sweeping gesture to brush it aside.

OOC
Prestidigitation is still going so Ary uses it to move some sand so he doesn't have to walk in it.

Downzorz
2013-08-29, 06:55 PM
As you stroll into the next room, it comes better into view. The door to the west is a simple closed stone door, but the door to the right is an elaborate portcullis. There is no visible crank in sight, but the door is inscribed with an elaborate magical seal.
-----
The Map (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHQm8wLVdNbDVoZkk/edit?usp=sharing)

AngryCyc
2013-08-29, 07:09 PM
Girp

Girp is still taking a breather in the back, so.. he'll follow whoever leads wherever.

Tris
2013-08-29, 07:17 PM
Garth takes a look around the room, but leaves the magical seal to someone more knowledgeable in magic.
Search: [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-08-29, 07:48 PM
Kythian

Kythian walks towards the simple stone door, stands off to one side of the frame, and pushes the door open.

PrivateJunior
2013-08-29, 07:55 PM
Dirlor points his pudgy Dwarven finger at the crowd of adventurers behind him, then gestures at the door.
"Will one of you scrawny wizards get out here and tell us whether the doors gonna blow up when we open it?"
Realising that he'd just taken charge of something, he lowers his gaze slightly and strides over to the portcullis, mumbling about "checking for unusual stonework" and "work only Dwarves could do properly".

When Kythian pushes the door open, Dirlor isn't even paying attention any longer.

Checking for unusual Stonework. I get this even for areas within 10' that I'm not actively searching.
[roll0]

zingbobco000
2013-08-29, 08:02 PM
Koin recently coming out from a trance to recover himself from that latest encounter, sees his group studying the portacullis and also hears Dirlor and says "Alright, alright, I'm coming!" Koin then investigates the door, trying to find out what these ancient runes mean

Knowledge (Arcana) check to investigate the seal

[roll0]

Downzorz
2013-08-29, 09:20 PM
Dirlor discovers that the sealed portcullis is actually seamlessly fused to the stone in the ground.
Koin finds that the seal is a rune of sealing, holding the door shut. It is likely linked to another one that opens it.
Garth succeeds in finding the floor.
Kythian peers into the next room. After a length of hallway, the next room is similar to the rest, but with a large statue dotting the wall. The statue is a large bronze image of a tall man in a robe, one foot propped up on a dead orc, holding high a humanoid skull. Adorned on the bottom is the phrase "Hannibal, Tyrant of the Soul." An unadorned sword is driven into the base of the statue.
-----
Map (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHOXdwVUNQUHY0WFk/edit?usp=sharing)

zingbobco000
2013-08-29, 10:05 PM
OOC: what is U?

Koin repeats this new discovery to his 'friends' and then looks asks Kythian "What do you see in there?"

Gnarnia
2013-08-29, 10:22 PM
Kythian

Kythian squints, peering down the hallway and relays what he sees. (ooc: I think "U" is the statue").

"I'm not sure if it's related to this magical doorway or not, but it looks worth closer inspection once we're done here. "

Once the others are satisfied they're finished with the current room, he'll proceed with them down the hall way towards the statue.

Tris
2013-08-29, 10:41 PM
"I don't think there's much more to do in this room. Let's move on."
When we continue, I walk in the front next to Dirlor.

zingbobco000
2013-08-29, 10:52 PM
Koin continues down the hallway as well.

hoverfrog
2013-08-30, 01:21 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"It isn't a good idea to just open things without checking first" Ary still stays back. It is clear from their actions that these men are either brave or foolhardy, both of which he is not guilty of. Which the others debate Ary marks on the floor the route they've taken in chalk lines and notes next to the rune of sealing that it appears to be triggered elsewhere. If they don't finish in time and the other group follows them then at least they'll know where we went. If we get into trouble then they'll be able to rescue us. A worthwhile precaution.

While doing so he tries to remember the name of Hannibal, Tyrant of the Soul from his studies in magic.

OOC
Knowledge (arcana) [roll0]
Knowledge (untrained) [roll1]

Tris
2013-08-30, 02:10 AM
"Leaving notes for the other group! That's a good idea. I never thought of that. Are we all ready to go?"

Gnarnia
2013-08-31, 08:31 AM
Kythian

"I believe so. Let's make haste while we've still got some time to finish this."

AngryCyc
2013-08-31, 08:52 AM
Girp

Girp sticks with those who are not quite out in front... He follows wherever someone is leading. He is not feeling so confident about his brashness anymore.

hoverfrog
2013-08-31, 10:35 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

A hasty scribble will have to be enough. Ary packs away his chalk and hurries after the others. As with earlier he keeps an eye out for anything that might follow them.

Listen check [roll0]
Spot check [roll1]

zingbobco000
2013-08-31, 11:14 AM
"I am ready", being obviously one of the weakest in the group he tries to stick to the middle being easily protected by the more stronger and tough of his group. Watching into the next room to make sure that nothing jumps out at him.

Downzorz
2013-09-01, 01:38 AM
Hannibal is the name of the necromancer who was imprisoned in the dungeon. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Ary: You cannot recall any substantial information about Hannibal.
-----
The next room is a larger one. A door sits to the south. As you walk into the room, the statue comes clearer into view; the detail on Hannibal seems almost lifelike. You see that a sword pokes out of the statue's robe; it appears to match the one driven into the ground.
-----
Map (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHVkR5S1NEV0NzOFk/edit?usp=sharing)

Tris
2013-09-01, 01:54 AM
"Can someone detect magic on the statue? Something about it makes me feel uncomfortable."

PrivateJunior
2013-09-01, 05:08 AM
Dirlor examines the statue with a critical eye, looking for any traps that might be built into the stone to stop unwary graverobbers. He also makes use of his own capability to "sniff" evil and corruption in the area, wondering whether this might contain the still-evil corpse of the necromancer himself. Someone so villainous could only leave a massive residual smell.

Detect magic on statue, and search or spot (whatever is more appropriate) to find traps based on stonework without actually touching the statue.
[roll0]

hoverfrog
2013-09-01, 05:55 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"I'm afraid I didn't learn it today. I was expecting combat." Ary watches the dwarf examine the statue and tries to see if there is anything amiss with it himself. Like Dirlor he stays clear of it.

"If you spot anything that needs moving I can use a Mage Hand spell from a distance," he offers.

Search check [roll0]

PrivateJunior
2013-09-01, 06:20 AM
In response to the statement, Dirlor immediately conjures a retort.
Keep your mage's hands in your pockets, adventurer. he thinks, roughly. By some stroke of wisdom, he avoids saying so, though, simply responding with a nod of the head in acknowledgment. After all, the wizard was only trying to help. His occupation was unfortunate, but his soul was still mostly pure and his spirit still "good".
No point hurling insults at people untainted when the taint itself was prominent in this chamber for true purging.

hoverfrog
2013-09-01, 06:36 AM
He doesn't say much but it looks like I'm making friends here. Ary thinks to himself and smiles encouragingly. At least he's not a giant like all the others seem to be. At 3'3" he still had to look up at the dwarf but at least he didn't strain his neck looking up at people nearly twice his size.

zingbobco000
2013-09-01, 08:37 AM
Koin wakes up from thinking about this interesting puzzle and says a few magic words and casts Detect Magic near the statues. He then checks even further to try to investigate them using mundane abilities (he doesn't touch them though.) He then laughs at the small wizard in his party and says "You wizards always have to 'practice' your spells us sorcerers can pick them up out of the blue." You can hear his general dislike for wizards. Even so, he thinks this 'Ary' is trying to do his best for the help of the party, he might even be able to earn my respect. He thinks.

Rolls:[roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-09-01, 10:17 AM
Kythian

As Koin opens his senses to the presence of magic, Kythian does the same towards the presence of evil (Detect evil, also scanning the statue)

zingbobco000
2013-09-01, 10:35 AM
Koin retells what he learned from him poking around in places, and his arcane knowlegde of this Hannibal

"The necromancer was slain in body and bound by the dagger that killed him. The dagger now hosts what is left of his soul.
The Necromancer's soul is likely able to affect the area around his body, although he cannot act physically without a host. We must be careful, this man probably has some prisoners of some sort to host him."

Downzorz
2013-09-01, 12:24 PM
Detect Magic reveals that the entire statue has a moderate magical aura, but you are unable to tell what kind.
Detect Evil reveals that the sword buried into the base of the statue emanates a strong aura of evil.
The search check reveals that the sword is "sheathed" in a pressure-sensitive hole in the ground. Removing it will likely trigger a trap of some sort.

zingbobco000
2013-09-01, 12:51 PM
"Hmmmmmm..." Koin says, "I am detecting a somewhat-strong amount of magic associated with the statue." Koin then tries to study it again and finding more information tries to determine the school it is from.

Rolls:
Spellcraft check [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-09-01, 03:13 PM
Kythian

The angel recoils from the sword at the base of the statue. "That blade is cursed and bears a strong aura of evil. Perhaps it is the blade that holds the necromancer's soul, perhaps it was used in dark rituals, but in either case it is an instrument of darkness and we should seek a way to destroy it if we possess the means."

Downzorz
2013-09-01, 03:33 PM
Koin: You cannot determine the school of magic that the statue is enchanted with.

AngryCyc
2013-09-01, 03:45 PM
Girp

"And this other sword? What does it do?" He grabs the sword that is not embedded in the base of the statue, and gives it a firm pull.

:smallcool:

Downzorz
2013-09-01, 04:07 PM
Girp draws the sword at the statue's side; it is visually identical to the one embedded in the base of the statue. Aside from a vague ominous feeling you feel after drawing it- it might just be the aura of the statue- the sword is unremarkable.

AngryCyc
2013-09-01, 04:19 PM
Girp
He takes a few steps back away from the statue, still holding the sword.

"So what about this? Do you detect any magic or evil coming off just this, or is it only the statue and other sword?"

zingbobco000
2013-09-01, 04:50 PM
Koin then focuses his detect magic on the sword.

OOC:Uh, it's still active, right?

Downzorz
2013-09-02, 03:35 AM
The sword in Girp's hand does not emanate a magical aura; the one driven into the statue's base has the same aura as the statue.

zingbobco000
2013-09-02, 08:18 AM
Koin says, "I detect no magic on the sword right now, what kind of sword is it? Maybe one of us could use it to protect ourselves, and by that I mean as a weapon." Koin then searches around the room just to see if he had missed anything.

Search Check [roll0]

Tris
2013-09-02, 11:44 AM
"Ary. You should leave a note warning the other group not to pull the sword out of the statue."

Gnarnia
2013-09-02, 12:22 PM
(I can't get the map to load, but I think there were doors on the south side of the room?)

Kythian

"Let's keep this relic in mind, but continue on. I would try smashing it, but that could make things worse. I don't really know what to do with it just yet."

With that, the angel moves to the south side of the room, stands to the side of the doorway, and again opens the next door.

zingbobco000
2013-09-02, 09:50 PM
Um, wait just a moment I want to investigate this room further and quickly closes the door before Kythian can open it. Koin then spends 2 minutes investigating the statue, and the sword

What happens:Koin runs quickly and closes the door, then goes over to the statue and does a spellcraft 20, that means a 24! Probable sucess!

Gnarnia
2013-09-02, 10:46 PM
(OOC: If people still have things left to try Kythian won't open the door. I thought everyone was done :))

hoverfrog
2013-09-03, 03:57 AM
Ary writes in chalk 'Cursed sword. Do not touch' and then tries to understand the magic at work on the statue.

OOC
Spellcraft [roll0]

PrivateJunior
2013-09-03, 04:10 AM
"Care to point out any more obvious pieces of furniture? Perhaps you should write "Openable" on the doors?" Dirlor begins roughly to criticise the chalk-work of the gnome. He crumples his face in disgust.
"After all, anyone with a nose and some without, could smell the evil coming off that blade as soon as they came into the room. Blergh! Like brimstone, it smells bad."

hoverfrog
2013-09-03, 04:25 AM
"Not everyone has your nose." Ary says distractedly as he keeps pondering the magical energies.

Downzorz
2013-09-03, 02:14 PM
Ary and Koin determine that the magic emanating from the statue is Necromancy, but besides that cannot determine the nature of the spell.

zingbobco000
2013-09-03, 02:56 PM
Hmmm... It seems that this vile magic eminating from the statue is Necromancy, maybe it may raise some dead to fight us or maybe it will chill us. Who knows, but anyway, Let's continue.

OOC:Let's create a ready chart, so far the people who are ready are Koin
Kythian
Ary
Dirlor
Girp

Edit: Koin is in the middle.

hoverfrog
2013-09-04, 01:22 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"If we're left with no alternative then I'd suggest that the rune of sealing may be opened by removing the sword. I do hope I'm wrong about that though," Ary gathers his things together and joins the others.

zingbobco000
2013-09-04, 09:22 AM
"Maybe, but let's continue into the next room, shall we Arythwil" Koin stands ready by his teammates.

zingbobco000
2013-09-04, 05:05 PM
Koin, uses a detect magic spell on the room in front of him. He feels his magic slowly depleting.

OOC:I have 2 0 level spells left and 3 1st level spells.

Downzorz
2013-09-04, 11:16 PM
As you move to enter the next room, Dirlor notices something... off about the stonework in the corner. The floor is smoother, like something has been sweeping over it repeatedly, and there is a seam in the wall that doesn't match the patterns.
-----
Clearly a secret door. It's in the Southwest corner of the room.

PrivateJunior
2013-09-05, 03:02 AM
Dirlor halts before the secret door and watches as everyone else stops behind him, a miniature collision provoking confusion from the group.
"How about we go down here, then?"
The dwarf looks expectantly at the rest of the group, as they stare at the seemingly blank section of wall before him. "Well? What happened to the routine? I'll push in the door and you can all...umm...what are you all staring at me for?"

hoverfrog
2013-09-05, 08:01 AM
"Something your sense of smell has picked up perhaps?" Ary looks around the room in an effort to see what it is that the dwarf has detected.

OOC
Search check [roll0]

zingbobco000
2013-09-05, 10:33 AM
"Yes, maybe? What is it that you smell?"

PrivateJunior
2013-09-05, 07:08 PM
Perhaps they really do need to write "openable" on the doors. Certainly on this one, at least.
Dirlor refrains from committing his thoughts to speech, instead giving the wall a hard shove with his scarred shoulder.
"You can't see the door?" After a moment of consideration, the dwarf comes to a monumental conclusion. He had grown up amongst the most noble of races; dwarves could see in the dark, recognise doors and many of the Church and Guard could smell the presence of evil. He had never really considered humans and elves before, but now he was aware of their reason for adventuring: they were poorer races than the dwarves. The only way they thought they could gain honour would be to adventure in an effort to become known despite their disabilities.
Dirlor feels an immense pity for these creatures, and the next sentence he speaks is oddly soft and compassionate compared with his previously rough tone.
"I've found a door. When I get it open, we'll have a look around. Keep your wits about you. I intend to wipe the foul smell out of this place, and I'm not going to lose a single adventurer to this complex if I have to lay my life upon it!"

Downzorz
2013-09-08, 12:40 AM
Ary also notices the secret door.
-----
The wall caves under Dirlor's shove and swings inwards, revealing a secret room. The room is small, barely 10' by 10'. It is decorated in a distinctly different style than the previous one, with engraved runes instead of paintings. There is no light source in the room, but light floods in from the next room enough to make it visible. The runes are in Dwarven, and lament the loss of the dwarven king and queen. A closed marble chest sits against the far wall of the room.

Tris
2013-09-08, 12:52 AM
"If the chest's not trapped we should open it." says Garth.

He turns to address Dirlor. "Can you detect anything?"

PrivateJunior
2013-09-08, 01:06 AM
Dirlor leans in near the marble to examine it closely. With keen eyes, he evaluates the relative cost of the chest to determine the likelihood of there being traps. Whilst he appraises the quality, his more furtive side hunts for unusual or out-of-place stonework that might indicate a trap.

Knowing that if well made, a trapped dwarven chest ould be completely undetectable to him, Dirlor states this to his newfound companions.

Appraise value of chest itself: [roll0]
Search for strange stonework: [roll1]

hoverfrog
2013-09-08, 06:49 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"Let me help you search. These big folk couldn't even see an obvious door in a wall." Ary reads out the inscriptions and translates them to the common tongue for the others and then examines the chest carefully.

Search check [roll0] EDIT We are the best at searching.
How heavy is the chest lid in Ary's estimate?

Downzorz
2013-09-09, 04:25 PM
Neither Dirlor nor Ary can detect any traps on the chest. Dirlor does notice that the chest appears valuable, though; it could easily go for a hundred and fifty gold pieces.
-----
The lid of the chest seems to be a little under 15 pounds.

Tris
2013-09-09, 06:04 PM
"Let's see what's in this chest" Garth lifts the lid.

zingbobco000
2013-09-09, 07:13 PM
Koin uses Detect Magic on the chest.

Gnarnia
2013-09-09, 07:37 PM
Kythian

Kythian stands back and watches with curiosity.

Downzorz
2013-09-10, 09:18 PM
The chest contains an embroidered red cloak, folded neatly atop a pile of square-shaped silver coins. The coins number in the hundreds. Koin detects a magical aura emanating from the cloak.

AngryCyc
2013-09-10, 09:27 PM
"...di-...Dibbs?"

Tris
2013-09-10, 09:30 PM
"...di-...Dibbs?"

"Hey, we're splitting what we find. We can sort it all out when we're done. I say we carry leave it here for now and carry it out later."

hoverfrog
2013-09-11, 12:52 AM
"Is it magical? Can you detect the type of magic?" Safety says they should stow the cloak and test it thoroughly before using it but it may be the difference between life and death here.

PrivateJunior
2013-09-11, 03:58 AM
"If the cloak is of magical ability, then I shall carry it lest it be lost or forgotten on our way out. It may be the most valuable item we find and certainly one of the lightest. I can probably carry a good many of those coins, as well."

At any suspicious looks from his companions, Dirlor responds with a calmly suffering sigh. "I work in the name of honour, both of mine clan and Moridin himself. If I were to steal any of the coins, or even this cape - though I strongly doubt it would fit me or benefit me much at all - then not only my honour would be forfeit, but so would the standing of my clan and the noble face of my deity. I would give my life before I defaced either of those with petty theft."

If the party is agreed, Dirlor will carry the cloak and as many coins as he can without over-encumbering himself. Being a dwarf, he can manage an heavy load without issue, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. If he can't carry it all, then he'll take what look to be the most valuable coins first (if there's any variation).

hoverfrog
2013-09-11, 05:37 AM
"If we can use the cloak then we should. Having a resource and not making use of it seems wasteful, like owning a wand and never using it for fear that it will run out of charges. Who is willing to take the risk of trying it on?" Ary ponders the uses for magical cloaks that he's heard of, "I'm aware that some cloaks enhance the wearer's natural presence, useful for sorcerers, others make it harder to be hit or even make it appear as if you're somewhere else or not there at all. Good for someone who is lightly armoured or unarmoured. I've even heard of one that can be used for flight."

He takes the cloak and shakes it out to its full length. Who would it fit? If it's sized for a gnome or other small creature he slips it around his shoulders to try it for size. "Do I look any different?" He asks after it settles.

OOC
Spellcraft check [roll0] +2 if it involves illusions.
Knowledge (arcana) check [roll1]

zingbobco000
2013-09-11, 08:55 AM
Koin once again tries to determine the source of magic coming from the cloak, all the while "I do not know what this cloaks magic could be of but I do know what coins are!" as he grabs some of the coins and puts them in his backpack (he grabbed enough for it to be split equally), he then focuses once more on determining the school of magic.

Tris
2013-09-11, 08:58 AM
"I think I will bare some of the load."

Garth take some of the coins.

Never mind. I think Dirlor can take all of 500 coins.

Downzorz
2013-09-11, 12:56 PM
Upon closer inspection, there are five hundred coins exactly. They are slightly larger than normal silver coins.
Ary recognizes the embroidery of the cloak; it is a type that would typically be worn by a wizard.
-----
The cloak is sized for a dwarf, so could be worn by a gnome or human with equal fit.
-----
As Ary draws the cloak around himself, an aura of shimmering, white energy temporarily surrounds him before dissipating.
-----
Koin:
Make a spellcraft check for identifying the aura.

Gnarnia
2013-09-11, 11:22 PM
Kythian

Kythian smiles at the bit of good fortune that has befallen the group and standards guard near the southern door, waiting until the others are ready to press deeper into the crypt.

Gnarnia
2013-09-14, 06:25 PM
Kythian

As the group finishes securing the treasure, Kythian makes his way towards the southern door and finally sates his curiosity by opening it.

*creeeeeeeeeak*

Downzorz
2013-09-16, 11:55 AM
Well, I'll just roll the spellcraft check myself then.
Spellcraft: [roll0]
-----
As the door cracks open, a hallway is revealed behind it. The hallway is constructed and decorated in the cold, dwarven style that matches the small, hidden room. The hall is about fifty feet long and ten feet wide, with a small alcove to the left containing a staircase spiraling downwards about halfway down, and a set of double doors at the end.
-----
I'm having trouble with the map, but it will undoubtedly be fixed before long.

AngryCyc
2013-09-16, 12:30 PM
Girp

Girp takes the lead in this relatively safe-looking area... He wanders down past the stairs, stopping for a second to look at them, before making his way past it to the doors on the other end of the hallway. He takes a second to listen through the door to see if he can hear anything [roll0] and then waits for the rest of the team to get there.

He'll take a defensive position at the door, ready to strike should anything charge through when they open it, but he's not up for opening the door himself...

Tris
2013-09-16, 07:46 PM
Garth stops at the stairs and looks down to see if he can see anything.
Spot: [roll0]

zingbobco000
2013-09-16, 09:28 PM
Sellcraft check:
[roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-09-16, 09:56 PM
Kythian

Kythian cautiously strides down the hallway to the set of double doors. Bracing himself for the next trap, he hugs the wall and pushes the door open...

hoverfrog
2013-09-17, 01:41 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"Aren't we supposed to be going down to the dwarven crypt?" Ary joins the others at the staircase. "Assuming the area is secured, of course."

zingbobco000
2013-09-17, 08:42 PM
"Yes, but which way would that be? I am not acquainted with the geography of these ruins." Koin says as he joins Kythian along the side of the door, (down 5, left 1) and tries to listen in at the door.

Roll:
[roll0]

PrivateJunior
2013-09-17, 10:04 PM
Wracking his mind for any information about dwarfish tomb design, Dirlor continues with the group. Instinctively, he recognises their depth underground, the texture of the stonework and the gradient of the floor and attempts to collate these signs with his own rudimentary understanding of dungeon-building to locate the crypt of the dwarfish nobility.

OOC: I guess this is a knowledge check relating to dwarfish dungeon design. Dirlor is probably familiar with the standard layout (if there is one) and the basic concepts involved in the design.
Using his surroundings with this information is kind of like tracking...so Survival?
[roll0]: Knowledge Related (if required)
[roll1]: Survival Related (if that's actually what I should use)

Downzorz
2013-09-18, 02:49 PM
Girp and Koin both hear movement behind the door- stone grinding against stone, like two distant whetstones grinding against each other.

It is obvious that right now everyone is in the dwarven areas of the ruins.
Dirlor does not know where the tomb would be; the tribe of dwarves that built these runes are long-distant from the Ironclaw clan and design theory has changed dramatically since then.
-----
As the doors at the end of the hall creak open, the room behind them comes into view. This room, unlike all the others, is lit by torches lining the walls. The walls are decorated with archaic Dwarven runes spelling out prayers to forgotten deities. A large altar at the end of the room, and behind it is a wall painted in a vivid mural of an old Dwarven legend; specifically, the smiting of the Aboleth Emperor by a great Dwarven crusader whose name is lost to time.

There is a clump of rock the size of a small dwarf sitting in the middle of the room- or perhaps not a clump of rock, as it begins to move when the door opens. What passes for a face is marked with "eyes" of black marble that glare at you maliciously.
-----
Before I post a map, gimme an order of what order everyone is in. The hall is 10' wide.

AngryCyc
2013-09-18, 03:36 PM
Girp
Girp, being second in line behind the door, prepares himself to fight what might be a new threat...

PrivateJunior
2013-09-18, 04:51 PM
Dirlor takes the very lead of the column, explaining with simple words;
"I know not where we go, nor what resides there, but I shall stand at the fore to deal and receive all that evil and corruption has to hurl at us." Looking around at his companions, his words ring hollowly in his ears for a moment.
"umm...if there's no objection, I mean." He stumbles through his words hesitantly, thinking each through and trying to avoid insult with each one, now conscious of what he's saying.

Tris
2013-09-18, 08:03 PM
Garth takes his place next to Dirlor preparing to fight whatever threats attack the party.

zingbobco000
2013-09-18, 09:05 PM
Koin takes his place in the middle of the party, behind Dirlor. "I hope your ready for a fight!" He says as he gets into a fighting stance.

hoverfrog
2013-09-19, 01:30 AM
Arythwil allows everyone to pass and follows the last person in. Once again he watches behind them for anything sneaking up on them.

Spot check [roll0]
Initiative if required [roll1]

zingbobco000
2013-09-19, 09:10 AM
Koin notices, Arythwill straining his eyes, and remarks: "What wizard? You can't see anything from reading so many books?"

Rolls:

OOC:
It's just a joke

hoverfrog
2013-09-19, 10:10 AM
Ary looks up at the giant sorcerer. These jibes about his eyesight and his need to prepare spells were making him nervous. Perhaps it wasn't the jokes but the snake curled around his shoulders that was putting him on edge. Templeton dug down under his cloak to avoid the scaled creature as it probed the air for food. "Er, just being careful. You never can tell."

OOC
I get it. :smallsmile: Ary doesn't. :smalleek:

Gnarnia
2013-09-19, 05:08 PM
Kythian

OOC: Kythian had opened the door, so when this thing starts moving I would assume I'm at the front of the party. I was hugging the wall, in case he gets partial cover against a lightning bolt or something :)

zingbobco000
2013-09-19, 09:42 PM
Koin suddenly laughs out loud, "You tell 'em Scarlet" you hear a snake on Koin's shoulder hiss.

Downzorz
2013-09-20, 11:05 AM
The animate chunk of rock hisses at you aggressively, but does not approach.
-----
Map (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHbGpXMWM4N3BkYWc/edit?usp=sharing)
"E" refers to the chunk of rock.

AngryCyc
2013-09-20, 11:27 AM
Girp

"So is it... friendly..? I mean. It's not charging us."

hoverfrog
2013-09-20, 11:52 AM
Arythwil Shadowhorn

"Some sort of elemental, I think. They're mindless creatures forced to obey the commands of their summoner. The fact that it isn't attacking probably means that it has been compelled to defend against anyone entering the room. We have not entered yet." Ary gets his sling out and loads a stone. "I suggest that we shoot at it and draw it into the larger room behind us and up the stairs. It may not be able to follow if it's bound to a room. If that's the case we can pick it off from a distance. How fast can something made from rocks be anyway?

zingbobco000
2013-09-20, 05:50 PM
"I agree with Ary, though I have some simple uses of magic that could easily pick off a creature of this size, the only hard part... Hitting it with our mundane weapons." He says as he loads his crossbow.

Tris
2013-09-20, 08:20 PM
"That seems like a sound plan. Let's do it." Garth pulls out his longbow.

Gnarnia
2013-09-20, 10:27 PM
Kythian

Kythian stands guard, his fists at the ready in case the animated stone serpent should attack his companions.

Readying a slam attack if the creature should approach his companions with hostility.

Slam attack roll: [roll0]
Slam attack damage: [roll1] Bludgeoning

zingbobco000
2013-09-21, 11:34 AM
Koin then quickly loads his crossbow, watching the elemental and preparing to shoot, but at the same time tries to draw some knowledge on this elemental.

Rolls:
Knowledge (Arcana) check: [roll0]
Readied Crossbow: [roll1]

PrivateJunior
2013-09-21, 11:09 PM
Dirlor steps aside to allow the ranged support to fire unimpeded. Military strategy. This is what I've spent my life training for. This could be a simple military drill, apart from the giant stone abomination that could bear down on us at a moment of notice.

hoverfrog
2013-09-22, 07:34 AM
Ary waited for someone to give the command to shoot but after a moment he realised that nobody was going to so decided to do it himself. "Ready?" He looked around, "Take aim. Loose!"

Spinning his sling he let fly and then immediately called out, "Let loose at will. Back off if it moves forward."

OOC
Sling [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Elementals aren't subject to critical hits but just in case this isn't an elemental I'm going to roll anyway. I may even get a 20. EDIT or not. Pretty sure I've missed on that roll.
Confirm critical [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

zingbobco000
2013-09-22, 09:25 AM
Koin shoots his readied crossbow bolt and lets loose another.

It was readied, move action, re-load, attack action fire again.
Attack roll:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Confirm Crit:
[roll2]
Whoops :smallredface: no crits on elementals!

AngryCyc
2013-09-22, 10:08 AM
Girp

Girp watches as bolts go flying into the room, bouncing off the ceiling, the walls, the floor... everything except the target they were aiming at.

He turns and gives his teammates a quiet look.

zingbobco000
2013-09-22, 10:43 AM
Koin then looks at him in return and his forked tounge comes out in a "hissssssss..."

OOC:

Uh, cyc mine hit. :smallmad:

Tris
2013-09-22, 11:41 AM
Garth shoots at the rock creature with his bow. After that, he puts his bow away and pulls out his sword, preparing for an attack.
Attack: [roll0]

Downzorz
2013-09-23, 11:18 AM
The creature flinches as Garth's arrow and Koin's crossbow bolt dig into it. It unleashes a rumbling roar before upturning a piece of floor and diving into the exposed, unworked stone.

hoverfrog
2013-09-23, 11:40 AM
"Stairs, get to the stairs!" Ary starts running immediately, "It can move through the earth. Watch out for it coming up underneath a tile."

AngryCyc
2013-09-23, 11:41 AM
Girp

Girp gulps. And then looks around the walls for a way to climb up, or anything to elevate himself up off the floor on... If there is nothing other than the altar, he runs to it and clambers up on top of it...

Gnarnia
2013-09-23, 12:44 PM
Kythian

Kythian cracks a smile for having overlooked something so completely obvious.

Either not hearing the call to run to the steps, or ignoring it, he holds perfectly still.

Not taking any actions at all in case this creature has to use tremorsense while submerged.

Partial charge readied for when it emerges again, assuming it breaks surface somewhere within reach (up to 30' straight line movement)

Slam Attack roll including charge bonus: [roll0]
Slam Damage: [roll1]
Other modifiers: -2 penalty to AC from the time of the charge to next action

Tris
2013-09-23, 10:19 PM
Garth runs away with Ary. He notices Kythian staying put.

"What are you doing? Run!" he shouts.

Gnarnia
2013-09-23, 11:09 PM
Kythian

Kythian yells something garbled back through clenched teeth "I ah hueighting or it to re-ur-ass! Hold still and it ight not see you!"

zingbobco000
2013-09-27, 08:46 AM
Koin's eyes widen at the monster charging at him, but his battle instincts (and Scarlet) tell him to stay put. Through the ringing of his ears he manages to say a couple of words: "Hey Kythian, need a shield?" As he then reloads his crossbow and takes another shot.

To hit w/ crossbow: [roll0]

Crit thing: [roll1]

Downzorz
2013-09-29, 10:45 PM
The elemental crashes through the wall as the adventurers flee towards the stairs, but before it can strike Kythian intercepts it with a crushing blow that leaves it a pile of dirt on the ground.

Tris
2013-09-29, 11:15 PM
"Hmm. That wasn't too difficult. It never had a chance to attack us," Garth says as looks down at the pile of dirt. Then, he walks into the room.

Gnarnia
2013-09-30, 04:57 AM
Kythian

Kythian looks just as surprised as Garth. Brushing the dust off his clothes, he says "Right then... I guess those bullets and bolts softened it up. On with our quest!"

Kythian walks into the room and approaches (but doesn't touch) the altar at the far side, inspecting it and the mural behind it.

hoverfrog
2013-10-01, 12:43 AM
"I thought it would be tougher too." Ary looks sheepish at having run away so quickly, "It's hard to tell with elementals." He follows the others into the room.

zingbobco000
2013-10-01, 08:50 AM
"I agree, especially with a rock elemental, they're supposed to be quite tough!" Says Koin.

Downzorz
2013-10-02, 12:41 AM
For Girp, in the altar room:
-----
The altar room is a beautiful piece of dwarven construction. A line of engraved vials sit in a small platform underneath the altar that is only visible from behind; the platform has a row of seven vials sitting on it, each filled with what is clearly "Dwarven holy water."
-----
For everyone who goes down the stairs:
-----
The stairs lead down to a short hallway that opens into a wide room. The floors of the room ahead seem to have been torn apart; only a few patches of stone remain, surrounded by what appears to be quicksand. An ornate, gilded door sits on the far end of the quicksand-filled room.
-----
Map. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4MjjJNTeWrHcHdpOXA1cGs4UWc/edit?usp=sharing)
I didn't put characters on the map because I'm not sure of the order; should I assume the same marching order?

hoverfrog
2013-10-02, 01:17 AM
"Quicksand? Anyone have a 10 foot pole?" Ary looked around at the earth. He looked for protuberances or signs of solid earth in the ground. He was wary of other elemental creatures lurking below the surface too. "Maybe we should rope ourselves together?" He took his rope out of his pack and tied one end to himself before offering the other end to anyone who would take it.

Search [roll0]

AngryCyc
2013-10-02, 07:25 AM
Girp grabs all the vials and then heads down the stairs with the rest of the gang, and passes them out to everyone.

zingbobco000
2013-10-02, 09:12 AM
"Ah, good some holy water. This should be useful in our fight against the necromancer. As for the quicksand, hmmmmm..." Koin then throws some loose debris into the quicksand just to see how fast it'll make you sink.

Downzorz
2013-10-03, 01:13 AM
Who is Ary going to tie himself to? Also looking for a disturbance in the sand would be Spot, not Search.

hoverfrog
2013-10-03, 01:42 AM
Ary stands with the end of the rope ready, looking slightly embarrassed that nobody has taken the other end, "I'm probably the lightest person here. If I crawl out over the sand you can pull me back if I start to sink."

Spot check [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-10-03, 10:20 AM
Kythian

"I don't have a 10 foot pole, but I do have some rope that might work." Tying off one end to his grappling hook, he throws it across the pit trying to snag it on something secure

Use rope checks to secure a grappling hook need to be made secretly by the DM

Kythian has +1 in use rope.

Tris
2013-10-03, 12:53 PM
"I can hold on," Garth says as he grabs the other end of the rope. "Be careful."

Downzorz
2013-10-05, 12:00 AM
As Ary approaches the sand, a skeletal beast bursts out of it. The skeleton appears to be from a long-dead crocodile. The animate skeleton attempts to grab Ary and pull him under the surface of the quicksand.
-----
Roll to grab:
[roll0]
-----
Ary is dragged downward in the jaws of the skeletal creature.
-----
Garth: Make a Strength check, opposed by the skeleton, to drag Ary back up.

Tris
2013-10-05, 03:56 PM
"Watch out!" Garth yells as he pulls the rope back in opposition to the crocodile.
"[roll0]

Downzorz
2013-10-05, 06:06 PM
The skeleton tugs back at Garth.
[roll0]

-----
Garth cannot pull Ary out from the grip of the creature, but the creature gains no ground either.

AngryCyc
2013-10-05, 06:41 PM
Girp

Girp throws one of the newly-found vials of holy water at the creature!

Touch attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gnarnia
2013-10-05, 07:22 PM
Kythian

Kythian drops his grappling hook and grabs hold of the rope, trying to aid Garth in pulling him up, but his grip isn't firm and the rope slides from his grasp.

DC10 aid another strength check [roll0]

Tris
2013-10-06, 02:46 PM
Garth grits his teeth as he yanks on the rope in an attempt to pull Ary away.

[roll0]

Downzorz
2013-10-06, 06:38 PM
Girp's vial of holy water flies wide, but drops still splash on the skeleton and it hisses in pain. It struggles against Garth's mighty grip.
[roll0]
-----
The skeleton loses a grip on Ary as Garth pulls him free.
-----
Koin, Dirlor, and Ary have turns left.

hoverfrog
2013-10-07, 05:41 AM
Ary desperately tries to wriggle free of the skeletal maw.

Escape artist [roll0] <== Perfect time for a natural 20

zingbobco000
2013-10-07, 10:19 PM
Koin throws a bolt of magic at the skeleton hoping to destroy it once and for all.

[roll0]damage with magic missle

Downzorz
2013-10-09, 02:05 PM
The skeleton screeches in agony as the bolt of magic dissipates harmfully throughout its body, but it does not fall.

Downzorz
2013-10-11, 01:24 PM
Acting for Dirlor, since he has not responded for a while.
-----
Dirlor tosses his vial of holy water at the skeleton.

-----
The skeletal creature hisses in pain at the direct hit from the holy water, and a few holes have formed in the bones, as if they were being melted through. Still, it resolutely charges the two front-line warriors and attempts to hoist Kythian from solid ground.

Touch Attack: [roll4]
Grapple Check: [roll5]

The creature fails horribly as Kythian nimbly sidesteps its jaws.
-----
Kythian and Garth get AOO's.

Tris
2013-10-11, 02:03 PM
Garth drops the rope and swings his sword at the incoming alligator.

Power Attack
To hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Confirm:[roll2]
Critical:[roll3]

Gnarnia
2013-10-11, 11:41 PM
Kythian

As Kythian dodges to the side, sidestepping the creature's lunge, he tries to bring down his fists against the skelegator's back.

Slam: [roll0]
Slam Damage: [roll1] bludgeoning

Close, but I think that's a miss.

Downzorz
2013-10-12, 03:31 PM
The skelegator deftly avoids swings from Kythin and Garth.

Tris
2013-10-12, 03:44 PM
Garth stabs at the skelegator again, hoping to land a blow.

Power attack
Confirm: [roll2]

Gnarnia
2013-10-13, 07:32 AM
Kythian

Kythian swings his fists again, but once again the skelegator deftly sidesteps his blow, its bony skull frozen in an almost snickering expression as it so easily avoids all of his swings.

This is my next round action for when it comes up again. My last attack was the attack of opportunity when it tried to bite me.

Slam Attack: [roll0]
Slam Damage: [roll1]

hoverfrog
2013-10-13, 10:28 AM
Ary scuttles back as far away from the skeleton as possible and unleashes a splash of acid at it.

Move back 20 feet.
Ranged touch attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#touchAttacks) [roll0]
Acid Splash (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#touchAttacks) [roll1]

Downzorz
2013-10-13, 06:22 PM
The skelegator dodges the strike from Kythian and the burst of acid from Ary, but finds itself struck by Garth's mighty blow. It staggers backwards, but does not fall.

zingbobco000
2013-10-13, 09:45 PM
Koin, once more loads a shot and fires it at this great beast.

Shoot crossbow at the skelegator
ATK:
Confirm: roll]1d20+1
DMG: roll]1d8+1[/roll]

zingbobco000
2013-10-13, 09:48 PM
Re-roll

DMG: [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-10-14, 08:22 PM
Kythian

Growing frustrated with his inability to connect a punch with the agile skeleton, Kythian focuses his energy, his hands glowing brilliantly with righteous fervor. Punching with all his might, he finally strikes true, shattering bones with his fist.

Slam Attack Roll: [roll0]
Slam Damage Roll: [roll1]

Downzorz
2013-10-14, 09:00 PM
The skeleton finally falls dead to Koin's bolt and Kythian's mighty blow.
-----
Proceeding into the quicksand requires Swim checks, DC 15. Or whatever other methods you plan to use to get across.

zingbobco000
2013-10-15, 12:09 PM
Koin sees the rushing stream. "There has to be some other way across this stream, I know for a fact that I could never cross it. Anyone have an idea?" He says as he kneels down to investigate the skelegator's body.

AngryCyc
2013-10-15, 02:49 PM
"......... you... could throw me. Tie that rope around me, and throw me across... if any of you are strong enough?"

Tris
2013-10-15, 06:16 PM
"That would get one of us across, but what about the rest of us?"

AngryCyc
2013-10-15, 06:39 PM
"Tie the rope off and everyone climbs across?"

Tris
2013-10-15, 07:18 PM
"I don't think any of us can throe that far, but Ary can try crossing again. I'll hold the rope."

hoverfrog
2013-10-16, 10:46 AM
"Thanks." Ary offers sarcastically, "Are you sure there aren't any more of them?"

Edging forward he slides into the muck and begins to push himself across carefully, "M-make sure you pull me back if I start to sink."

Downzorz
2013-10-16, 05:00 PM
You still need to make a Swim check if you plan on going into the quicksand.

hoverfrog
2013-10-16, 07:30 PM
Swim check [roll0]

Gnarnia
2013-10-17, 06:39 PM
Kythian

"That's what I was thinking. I have a grappling hook if it's helpful. If we have someone holding each end of the rope once someone gets across, then even if the rope gives way we should be able to help pull them up."

zingbobco000
2013-10-18, 09:08 AM
"I agree with Kythian, but who could do that?"

Downzorz
2013-10-18, 09:26 AM
Ary's attempts at swimming through the quicksand fail, and he falls under the surface. Ten feet down, however, he strikes solid ground.
-----
You can try to pull up, with Garth's help, or you can proceed across the floor of the pit at 5' per round, holding your breath.

zingbobco000
2013-10-19, 06:08 PM
"Ary? Oh, by Pelor! I didn't mean for this to happen, quick, someone hand me the line! I'm going in after him." Koin says as he jumps in with the grappling hook in hand.

Use the line to try find Ary, purposely trying to sink himself enough to follow him. No swim check required?

Gnarnia
2013-10-19, 10:01 PM
Kythian

Kythian grabs hold of the rope and holds tight, waiting for a telltale tug that might indicate he should pull the two up.

hoverfrog
2013-10-21, 10:01 AM
Ary frantically tries to climb up the rope and get out of the muck and water. He can't understand why they weren't pulling him out already.