PDA

View Full Version : 1st Character ever, 2nd edition - Planescape campaign

OldZombie
2013-08-24, 07:41 PM
As the title says we are starting a Planescape campaign and the GM is going to be using the 2nd Edition rules. I am planning on playing an Aasmir druid and we have rolled the numbers for our stats. I had the atrocious luck of having rolled the following numbers: 9, 9, 9, 11, 15, 18. Somehow because of the Aasmir race the 18 got bumped to 19 for my Wisdom and because of the class requirement my Charisma is 15. That leaves the other numbers to form the rest of my stats. Intellect being 11.

I would like to play the healer for the party, we have a couple of paladins a ranger and a tiefling rogue/wizard who make up the rest of the party.

We are going to start in Outlands, but I don't know where it will lead next. The GM is using the Non weapon proficiencies as well and we are starting out at level 3.

Any help in building a character will help I am clueless at the moment. Which weapons, Which proficiencies to take, what spells should I start with etc.

Thanks in advance!

thorr-kan
2013-08-24, 09:59 PM
Healing and Herbalism nwp (nonweapon proficiencies). Everything else to flavor.

For weapons, footman's mace and sling.

What is your god? Are kits on the table?

JadedDM
2013-08-24, 10:42 PM
For weapons, footman's mace and sling.

Druids can't use maces. They are limited to club, sickle, dart, spear, dagger, scimitar, sling and staff.

My advice is that since you only get 2 WP (for now), have one melee weapon and one projectile weapon.

satorian
2013-08-25, 07:46 AM
The general rule of thumb for druids in 2e is that scimitar or club (for Shillelagh) are the best choices. With those stats and that part, though, you'll be more a caster/sling or dart user than a melee dude anyway. If you have to get into the fray, you'll eventually be an animal when you do it anyway.

OldZombie
2013-08-25, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them! After posting here too late and panicking that I might not have given enough time for you guys to reply I did what any desperate person does. I googled the heck out of this topic came across this brilliant guide http://dark-wolf.weebly.com/add-2---druids-guide.html so I took some pointers from there.

Oh to answer your question our GM made druid kits or kits in general optional for the players, most of the party members it seems have opted out of it, so I am going to go that way. I haven't picked a God yet as I am still deciding, do I have to?

This is what I ended up with:

Weapons - Scimitar and darts (I love darts in RL so why not!)

NWP - herbalism and healing as suggested and Direction Sense & Animal Handling, because I think I am allowed 4 of them at the moment.

Still haggling with what spells to choose that might be useful in most scenarios, I currently have "Cure Minor Wounds" and "Goodberry" the rest I will live and learn :)

Jay R
2013-08-25, 03:41 PM
I haven't picked a God yet as I am still deciding, do I have to?

A nature god who understands traveling to other planes?

Pan.

Not in his usual form.

In the version of Peter Pan.

Thialfi
2013-08-26, 08:03 AM
If you use the arms and equipment guide, I would suggest spear. This guide finally gives rules for two handed use of a spear and it becomes a much more potent weapon used thusly. Plus, you get your melee and ranged weapon in one handy dandy package.

Joe the Rat
2013-08-26, 01:16 PM
I haven't picked a God yet as I am still deciding, do I have to?No. You're a Druid.

satorian
2013-08-26, 03:39 PM
2e druids usually pick gods, too.

Joe the Rat
2013-08-26, 07:42 PM
Sure, and so can fighters. It has the same impact on their game mechanics.

Beleriphon
2013-09-02, 07:41 AM
Weapons - Scimitar and darts (I love darts in RL so why not!)

Just to be clear this is the type of dart you're talking about:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Poised_to_launch_a_dart_from_an_atlatl.jpg

Its not this kind of dart:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Darts_in_a_dartboard.jpg

Toofey
2013-09-17, 11:49 PM
Ummm... if you mean like the guy in the background is holding perhaps, the woman is using a spear with a thrower (which I think there's actually rules for in 2nd ed as well) "War Darts" are more like lawn darts irl

I assumed the darts in the game are similar to the roman Plumbata since light javelins are covered separately in the rules.

Also I believe it says throwing daggers and throwing stars are covered under dart rules somewhere. (hence 3/round)