PDA

View Full Version : Throwing objects for distance?

flamewolf393
2013-08-24, 07:47 PM
I have a Huge creature with a strength of 67 and I want to pick up a medium character and throw them as far as possible. But the only rules I can find would be an improvised thrown weapon, which has a range increment of 10' and a maximum distance of 50'. I dont want to hit something with it, I just want to throw it as far as possible. How can I do this?

Nettlekid
2013-08-24, 07:56 PM
Fling Ally and Fling Enemy have rules for it.

flamewolf393
2013-08-27, 01:32 AM
Now how about if I just wanted to throw an object? Can I only throw a baseball 50'? Cause realistically with the physics involved, this guy could throw one close to half a mile.

Nettlekid
2013-08-27, 02:06 AM
Now how about if I just wanted to throw an object? Can I only throw a baseball 50'? Cause realistically with the physics involved, this guy could throw one close to half a mile.

One, never involve physics into D&D. The word "realistically" doesn't fit into the D&D lexicon. "Realistically" your Huge creature is probably incapable of sustaining its own body size and muscle mass. So yeah.

Secondly, for objects, you'll want Hulking Hurler from Complete Warrior, which lets you throw anything with the class feature Really Throw Anything, a modification of the feat Throw Anything. It lets you throw anything. But unfortunately, the range increment is still 10+5 per size you are larger than Large, so 15 for your Huge guy. Of course, the Epic Feat Distant Shot lets you make ranged attacks at anything you can see, which means you can reliably throw something at the sun (provided you can see it, which Spot checks say you can't, but that's a whole 'nother thread discussion.)

Chronos
2013-08-27, 08:48 AM
(provided you can see it, which Spot checks say you can't, but that's a whole 'nother thread discussion.)
Ironically enough, this particular dysfunction was fixed in one of the Underdark books. There's a rule that you can see a light source from as far away as twice its radius of dim illumination.