PDA

View Full Version : Weapon for a beguiler?

SciChronic
2013-08-24, 10:57 PM
I honestly have no clue what weapon to pick up for a beguiler, seeing as i'll spend 98% of the time casting spells. That being said, i should get some kind of weapon for that remaining 2%, i just don't know what....

we're starting at ECL9 and i've spent 21718 of my 36000 starting gold.

satorian
2013-08-25, 12:44 AM
+1 eager warning dagger? Gnome? Make it a quickrazor. Or if you don't want to waste money on things that don't boost your casting, just get a masterwork crossbow and dagger.

thethird
2013-08-25, 12:47 AM
Something that you can hold with the tail will be cool, leaving your claws open for casting and/or multi attacking.

Mutazoia
2013-08-25, 12:51 AM
Spiked Chain

Slipperychicken
2013-08-25, 01:01 AM
Something that you can hold with the tail will be cool, leaving your claws open for casting and/or multi attacking.

IIRC, you only need one hand free to cast spells.

TaiLiu
2013-08-25, 01:32 AM
...Are we talking about the Beguiler creature or the Beguiler class?

juicycaboose
2013-08-25, 01:52 AM
Assuming you're talking about the class rather than the creature, maybe a reach weapon so you can feint from a distance? I believe the only reach weapon a beguiler is proficient with is a longspear.
Maybe a hand crossbow with some sort of poisoned bolts for when you aren't casting spells?

SciChronic
2013-08-25, 02:10 AM
...Are we talking about the Beguiler creature or the Beguiler class?

The class. Character Sheet Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjCgFIGwxLxxdGg2bTMxSmNkd3NheW5ub2V6elEwW Xc&usp=sharing) I'm looking to be a Skillmonkey and Face while supporting the party during fights through control spells and illusions.

Frosty
2013-08-25, 02:28 AM
Scythe. x4 crit multiplier after you land a Sleep on the enemy.

Greenish
2013-08-25, 04:01 AM
Runestaff that is also quarterstaff with two wand chambers.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-08-25, 04:18 AM
+1 Feycraft (DMG2) Impaling (MCI) rapier for 9800 gp.

It allows you to do attack rolls with Dex, and make 3 touch attacks per day with the rapier. Add Arcane Strike for your 9th feat and you'll be decent in melee (at least during 3 rounds).

Maginomicon
2013-08-25, 05:23 AM
Flavor-wise, a disguised adamantine punching dagger (From Dragon Compendium) fits a beguiler. A comb, hair pin, calligraphy brush, or any similar look can be applied to it to make it look innocuous.

Add weapon enhancements to taste. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-25, 06:32 AM
Spiked Gauntlet, he'll never be unarmed, can't be disarmed, always threatens adjacent squares, and can still hold items and cast spells freely with that hand.

satorian
2013-08-25, 12:56 PM
You may want to look at your build. Sacred Vow requires you to be Exalted, which requires you to be good (at the very least). You are not good, let alone Exalted. Also, remember that, with VoN even if you become good, you can't do ability damage or harm to humanoids or monstrous humanoids.

Also, Vow of Nonviolence explicitly does not stack with Spell Focus, so the latter is a wasted feat if you can keep the Vow.

Finally, since you are focusing on your spellcasting side, you should probably be staying out of melee as much as you can. Any weapon you have should be either ranged or something to help with your magic. To that end, the quarterstaff runestaff with wand chambers suggestion was good. Also, my +4 initiative dagger suggestion is still good. A spellcaster who goes first is a dominant spellcaster, especially with a beguiler's spell list.

Der_DWSage
2013-08-25, 01:06 PM
Your silvered tongue. Only weapon a Beguiler needs.

In all seriousness...well, before I knew about the Vows you were taking, I would've said Handy Haversack + Vials of nasty stuff, like poison and tanglefoot bags. After? I'd just say get yourself an actual staff full of spells, and make use of your newly expanded spell list.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-25, 01:20 PM
Runestaff that is also quarterstaff with two wand chambers.

Or a regular staff with Elisev school.

SciChronic
2013-08-25, 02:43 PM
You may want to look at your build. Sacred Vow requires you to be Exalted, which requires you to be good (at the very least). You are not good, let alone Exalted. Also, remember that, with VoN even if you become good, you can't do ability damage or harm to humanoids or monstrous humanoids.

Also, Vow of Nonviolence explicitly does not stack with Spell Focus, so the latter is a wasted feat if you can keep the Vow.

Finally, since you are focusing on your spellcasting side, you should probably be staying out of melee as much as you can. Any weapon you have should be either ranged or something to help with your magic. To that end, the quarterstaff runestaff with wand chambers suggestion was good. Also, my +4 initiative dagger suggestion is still good. A spellcaster who goes first is a dominant spellcaster, especially with a beguiler's spell list.

the spell focus is a requirement to take shadowcraft mage, which will aid in my sneaking, casting, and survival. It explicitly stakes i can hide in Cloak of Shadow (Su) essentially giving me Hide in Plain Sight (Su version) as long as i can stay away from direct sunlight, along with the full casting progression and ways to augment my illusion spells.

As for the Vow part, My character was initially CG, but i changed it to CN due to needing to take Shadow Adept. I forgot to fix the feats. Its that or I take Heighten Spell -which works great with shadowcraft mage anyway. I guess i'll drop the vows, so i have an open feat to increase the DC further, any ideas on that?

Spell-wise i'm looking to do very little direct damage. Instead buffing allies with haste/blur while stopping enemies through glitterdust/charm/hold. Seeing as i'm dropping my vows, i guess i'll also be augmenting the image chain of spells to "blast" once i reach Shadowcraft Mage 2.

SciChronic
2013-08-25, 05:06 PM
Regarding the Runestaff, i'll probably get one that has a single 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th each 3/day, but i'm unsure as to which spells to take.

I dont want to take any blasting spells as they will become irrelevant the moment i reach Shadowcraft Mage 2; due to the combination of Shadow Illusion and Heighten Spell making me able to mimic any evocation, conjuration(creation), or conjuration(summoning) spell with a heightened silent image (which would then just burn a spell/day use at Xth level, X being however high I heightened the spell?). So i'm looking for either utility or control spells.

my current idea is to take Distract assailant, Dark Way, Phantom Steed, and Shadow Well.

Also do you think its too much to ask of my DM if i can get my runestaff to also function as the sheath to a concealed mundane rapier essentially functioning as a cane w/ concealed sword?

satorian
2013-08-25, 05:15 PM
Off the top of my head, well, Greater Spell Focus does what it says on the tin. Other than that, there is Draconic Heritage -> Draconic Power, which would both add to your spell list and improve your caster level and DC for blasting. However, that one is supposed to just be for sorcerers (I'd allow it for Beguilers/Warmages/Dread Necromancers were I DM, but I am not).

But yeah, with the character as you outline him, just use either option I listed before for your weapon. You don't want to waste your money on a cool magic weapon if it isn't improving what your guy actually actually does: hide and spellcast.

SciChronic
2013-08-25, 08:16 PM
on the Runestaff, it looks like i'd only use Dark Way and Phantom Steed once a day, but the pricing Rules area bit confusing.

To set the price of a runestaff, multiply the level of the highest-level spell in the runestaff by itself, then by 400 gp. For each additional spell in the runestaff, square that spell’s level and multiply by 200 gp. Add the values together to find the final price of the runestaff. If a spell can be used less than three times per day, reduce the gp multiplier for that spell by 100 per use below three (or 50 per use below three, for spells after the fi rst).

4x4x400 + 3x3x100 + 2x2x100 + 1x1x200 = 7900? with a wand compartment its a flat 8000.

Do you have any suggestions regarding spell choice? i'm looking for more control and shadow/illusion-themed stuff.

what wands should i get? i'm thinking a wand of cure moderate wounds