PDA

View Full Version : Meetup All American meetup

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 12:19 AM
Well, maybe. It depends. I'm just curious if anybody was interested in doing a NA meetup, or if there was already such a thing going one (Which I don't think there is.)
If anyone could direct me to older meet ups as examples, that would be nice.

Lentrax
2013-08-25, 01:34 AM
We could all try to meetup at a con somewhere...

Krade
2013-08-25, 01:59 AM
There are already numerous meetups 'round here. The one that sticks out most is the big one we do in Johnson City, Tennessee every year. Other than that, there's normally a sizeable presence of playgrounders at GenCon. There was almost a regular (happened two years in a row, but no more) meetup in Maryland, but our organizers moved away from there.

The problem with meetup's in America is that it's a BIG place. I'd suggest that if you want to get your meetup on, you should try to get to the annual one in TN. If you want to start your own, pick a somewhat general region of the country and try to gauge interest. Unless you want to make it big (like the on in TN), you won't be likely to get people from very far away. My personal rule is that it has to last at least 2 nights before I'm willing to travel the better part of a day (or more) for it each way.

Edit: Here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268625) for the last meetup in Tennessee. It's at the end of June every year.

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 02:08 AM
I was just trying to gauge interest in it and see what meet ups there were.
Quite personally it feels like such a thing would be fun, but I'm guessing it would have to be a very large event.

Krade
2013-08-25, 02:11 AM
I was just trying to gauge interest in it and see what meet ups there were.
Quite personally it feels like such a thing would be fun, but I'm guessing it would have to be a very large event.

Other meetups have been attempted in the past in other areas of the country, but none of them got big. Do feel free to try and start one, though. You never know, it could become West Trogland.

Oh and I put a link to the thread in the last post. The meetup is, unfortunately, two months past, but it is the best event of the year for most regular attendees.

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the advice and the link!

Flickerdart
2013-08-25, 03:34 PM
Other meetups have been attempted in the past in other areas of the country, but none of them got big. Do feel free to try and start one, though. You never know, it could become West Trogland.

Oh and I put a link to the thread in the last post. The meetup is, unfortunately, two months past, but it is the best event of the year for most regular attendees.
What is this Trogland of which I hear tell?

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 04:41 PM
Click the link, and you shall see!

Flickerdart
2013-08-25, 05:04 PM
Hm, that's not nearly close enough to where I am.

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 06:07 PM
There should be a Trogland meet up for all the groupings. Trogland West, Trogland South, etc.

Krade
2013-08-25, 07:44 PM
Hm, that's not nearly close enough to where I am.

People come from Canada and we even had a Brit this year. Your excuse is invalid:smalltongue:

Sabeki
2013-08-25, 08:13 PM
I'm too young to go to Myrtle Beach on my own, and my rents distrust the net.

Flickerdart
2013-08-25, 09:09 PM
People come from Canada and we even had a Brit this year. Your excuse is invalid:smalltongue:
It's not the distance that's the problem so much as time and wallet issues both caused by graduate school.

Haruki-kun
2013-08-25, 10:27 PM
When money stops being an issue, distance stops being one, as well. :smallsigh: :smallfrown:

It was totally worth it to go at least once, though. :smallbiggrin:

Palanan
2013-08-25, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Flickerdart
It's not the distance that's the problem so much as time and wallet issues both caused by graduate school.

I know these issues well.

Is this your first year in grad school? If so, go ahead and go now, because you'll have even less opportunity from here on out.

KuReshtin
2013-08-26, 07:31 AM
What is this Trogland of which I hear tell?

Trogland is the country where Trog lives.
aka 'Murrca
aka the US of A

Trogland sounds better, though.

Edit: Holy damn. I almost scared myself with that post. I forgot that I'd changed my avatar, so the Violator avvie came as a surprise to me.

Flickerdart
2013-08-26, 08:38 AM
I know these issues well.

Is this your first year in grad school? If so, go ahead and go now, because you'll have even less opportunity from here on out.
It's a 12 month program, so there are a lot of classes.

Mauve Shirt
2013-08-26, 04:37 PM
I'm too young to go to Myrtle Beach on my own, and my rents distrust the net.

Eh, these are problems that will go away.

Andraste
2013-08-31, 05:40 PM
If there were ever a meetup on the US west coast, I would certainly try to make it to it.

druid91
2013-08-31, 07:18 PM
Sad thing is I considered going to the last Maryland meetup, changed my mind.

Tyndmyr
2013-08-31, 07:28 PM
There are already numerous meetups 'round here. The one that sticks out most is the big one we do in Johnson City, Tennessee every year. Other than that, there's normally a sizeable presence of playgrounders at GenCon. There was almost a regular (happened two years in a row, but no more) meetup in Maryland, but our organizers moved away from there.

The problem with meetup's in America is that it's a BIG place. I'd suggest that if you want to get your meetup on, you should try to get to the annual one in TN. If you want to start your own, pick a somewhat general region of the country and try to gauge interest. Unless you want to make it big (like the on in TN), you won't be likely to get people from very far away. My personal rule is that it has to last at least 2 nights before I'm willing to travel the better part of a day (or more) for it each way.

Edit: Here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268625) for the last meetup in Tennessee. It's at the end of June every year.

*shrug* I live in central MD, and as of tomorrow, I run a game shop. If ya'll want a meetup, I'll toss it on the calendar.

I've met many of the MD folks at gencon, but I couldn't make it this year, and it'd be nice to see ya'll for sure.

Mauve Shirt
2013-09-01, 05:00 PM
I'd love a Maryland meetup!!!!!

Tyndmyr
2013-09-02, 09:37 AM
When would be a good date/time? I'd like to plan it at least a few weeks out so more people have a chance to see it, but after that, I don't have any strong preferences.

Krade
2013-09-02, 12:08 PM
When would be a good date/time? I'd like to plan it at least a few weeksmonths out so more people have a chance to see it, but after that, I don't have any strong preferences.

Fixed that for ya'.:smallwink:

Also, you don't want to compete for attendees with other meetups and/or cons. So I would suggest winter or maybe spring.

Mauve Shirt
2013-09-02, 12:59 PM
Yeah, summer's got Trogland, fall's got a bunch of cons and now Myrtle, Myrtle also happens in the spring. Winter's busy for me, holidays and all that. If we felt like doing a Renfest meetup we might as well plan it for next year.

Archonic Energy
2013-09-03, 09:30 AM
:smallfrown:

oh...

ok...

so you didn't want any non Americans...

I'll be going now.

Sabeki
2013-09-03, 09:34 AM
Nooooo! We still want you!

Lyndworm
2013-09-04, 01:42 PM

oh...

ok...

so you didn't want any non Americans...

I'll be going now.

You don't need to be from North America, you just need to be willing to travel to North America if you're not. You're more than welcome in my neck of the woods. :smallbiggrin:

Also, reporting in with interest for a Midwest meetup (the closer to Chicago the better).

We actually almost had a small (4-5 people) Chicagoland meetup two or three years ago, but it was canceled last-minute because one guy had to work and another guy and myself missed our trains (Obama was in town and the fanfare messed up the train schedules).

Haruki-kun
2013-09-04, 01:46 PM
Also, reporting in with interest for a Midwest meetup (the closer to Chicago the better).

I am for this, as well. A few people have discussed it before, but we're trying to figure out how to do it without overlapping without any other major meet-ups and/or cons.

Krade
2013-09-05, 12:58 AM
For a small meet-up, I think April or May might be your best choice, unless none of the people going will be attending Trogland, then it wouldn't be an issue of when, really.

Tyndmyr
2013-09-05, 09:07 AM
January is generally a pretty dead month, yeah? 'course, enough people might be recovering from the holidays that February is better.

I'm thinking a Sat, myself.