PDA

View Full Version : Can you'chain' Versatile Spellcaster?

Thanatosia
2013-08-25, 07:20 AM
Could you burn say, a 2nd level spell + 2x first level spells, or 4x First level spells to cast a 3rd level spell with the versatile Spellcaster feat?

Dictum Mortuum
2013-08-25, 07:28 AM
I don't think you can do that, neither RAW nor RAI.

//edit: it would be possible if it was saying something along the lines of "spend two lower spell slots to create a spell slot one level higher", but now the keyword is "cast".

Alleran
2013-08-25, 07:29 AM
No. Versatile Spellcaster allows you to use two spell slots of one level to cast a spell that is one level higher. It does not grant you an actual spell slot of the level higher, which is what the feat requires.

Dungeon_Crawler
2013-08-25, 07:31 AM
I guess but in a lot of situations that's kind of a waste:smallsmile:

JellyPooga
2013-08-25, 10:07 AM
RAW, I agree with previous posters; no, you cannot.

If I were GM? I'd totally allow it. I very much like the idea of a Sorcerer burning his whole arcane might for the day to cast one really powerful spell! I doubt it's going to break anything any worse than spellcasters do anyway, as far as power balance is concerned.

OldTrees1
2013-08-25, 12:07 PM
RAW, I agree with previous posters; no, you cannot.

If I were GM? I'd totally allow it. I very much like the idea of a Sorcerer burning his whole arcane might for the day to cast one really powerful spell! I doubt it's going to break anything any worse than spellcasters do anyway, as far as power balance is concerned.

If you do, I would retroactively prohibit Warmage/Beguiler/Dread Necromancer/Cleric ... from casting spell levels above what their level is meant to cast.

Malimar
2013-08-25, 12:39 PM
As the above posters said, by RAW (and probably by RAI), it isn't allowed.

As a DM, I allow it, because it's fun. (I probably wouldn't allow it to cast spells of a level you wouldn't otherwise be able to cast, but that hasn't come up yet.)

That said, this one time I rolled up a Ring of Wizardry I in some random loot for a party that included a sorcerer with Versatile Spellcaster; you might want to be cautious about the interaction of this interpretation and that item.

Starbuck_II
2013-08-25, 01:52 PM
If you do, I would retroactively prohibit Warmage/Beguiler/Dread Necromancer/Cleric ... from casting spell levels above what their level is meant to cast.

But all it gets Clerics is healing spells? Is that too big a problem... that he heals better? Remember Heal isn't accessible through this...

OldTrees1
2013-08-25, 05:14 PM
But all it gets Clerics is healing spells? Is that too big a problem... that he heals better? Remember Heal isn't accessible through this...

Spontaneous Domain Cleric

JellyPooga
2013-08-25, 05:15 PM

The rules about how and when you learn the spells for "set list" casters like the Dread Necromancer are somewhat vague when considering abilities like those granted by Versatile Spellcaster. Myself, I rule that you can only cast "higher than your level normally allows" spells using Metamagic (e.g. A 1st level Dread Necro can use a 2nd level slot, gained through spending two 1st level slots, to cast a Silent Cause Fear (assuming they have the Silent Spell feat, of course), but couldn't use it to cast Blindness/Deafness or Command Undead). This is however, I can't stress enough, only a houserule.