PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Pricing Question #4,719

Amphetryon
2013-08-25, 08:38 AM
Ready Quiver:

When found, this quiver has two compartments. The first contains one nonmagical arrow or bolt, while the second contains a single potion (DM's discretion as to type). Placing additional supplies beyond the single arrow/bolt and potion into the quiver causes these extra items to vanish. However, a PC who draws (as a free action) an arrow, bolt or potion from the quiver finds that another, identical, arrow, bolt, or potion at the ready the next time she reaches for it. If the quiver is not used for 24 consecutive hours or more while in a PC's possession, the compartments empty, allowing them to be "stocked" with different potions, or a different type of ammunition of the appropriate size. Magical arrows or bolts placed in the quiver do not produce additional magical arrows or bolts, and any potion drawn from the quiver turns to water in 10 rounds, though potions consumed do not cease to function. Weight: 1 lb.

yougi
2013-08-25, 10:58 AM
Let me start by saying that it's always good to have a question in your thread. I guess this one is "how would this cost?"

Here's how I'd see it:

Well, the unlimited non-magical ammo is a matter of carrying capacity (which few groups use it seems), and since a full quiver costs 3gp, I don't know, somewhere like 200-300?

The potion thing, however, should get a price based on the level of the potions it can accept, given 3.5's exponential pricing. Let's look at what your item does: It basically transforms a potion into, basically an at will thing. a 1st level potion costs 50gp, and an at-will, command-word activated item of a 1st level spell is 1800gp. What your item does is take a 50gp item, and turn it into a 1800gp item. That is therefore worth 1750gp if limited to 1st level potions. The fact that you can change the type of potions is worth at least a *1.5 to the price, if not a *2. With the (few) advantages between an item and unlimited potions (being able to have multiple people quaff them simultaneously, having 10 rounds before activating it (during which you can run 1200ft, assuming a base 30ft and non-heavy armor, a longer range then a spell could have), let's assume it's worth double that, or 3500gp.

Using the same logic:
Item limited to 1st level potions: ~3,700gp
Item limited to 2nd level potions: ~21,200gp
Item limited to 3rd level potions: ~55,700gp

And this is only if the potions created are of the minimum caster level.

Deophaun
2013-08-25, 11:09 AM
The real question is how high do you value unlimited out of combat healing? Because that's what the potion feature is.

Amphetryon
2013-08-25, 04:17 PM
I apologize for making the thread title so unclear that you had no idea that I might be asking about the price of the magic item I listed in the OP. Good job figuring that out.

I'm not especially worried about the out-of-combat healing, as that's easy enough to do without potions anyway (Dread Necromancer + Tomb-Tainted Soul, for example).

Thanks for the replies.

Big Fau
2013-08-25, 04:41 PM
I don't think the quiver should empty if the PCs place something inside it (as-written it looks like it destroys the items when that time limit runs out), merely eject the items into the space the quiver currently occupies.

Kudaku
2013-08-25, 04:59 PM
I'm leery about an item that freely and instantly replicates any potion personally, my parties would find a way to abuse that in a hurry. Does the replicated potion have the same CL as the original potion?

My first thought would be to buy a CL 20 potion of magical vestment/Greater Magic Weapon for 3 000 GP and equip the entire party with shiny new +5 armor or weapons each morning.

Pathfinder recently released Mythic Adventures, that has an item a bit like what you describe - the Bountiful Bottle. The bountiful bottle is a bottle with two chambers, one inside the other. When you fill the inner chamber with a potion and the outer chamber with water, the water takes on the properties of the potion over a period of 24 hours. The replicated potion has to be drunk directly from the bountiful bottle and cannot be extracted or bottled without losing its potency.

So it only replicates one potion a day.

The Bountiful Bottle is priced at 4 000 GP, which I personally consider quite a bargain. It is however balanced for Mythic play, so it is probably under-priced for a regular game.

As for the arrow properties of this weapon, I'd price that cheaply - not more than 1-2k.

Amphetryon
2013-08-25, 05:04 PM
I'm leery about an item that freely and instantly replicates any potion personally, my parties would find a way to abuse that in a hurry. Does the replicated potion have the same CL as the original potion?

My first thought would be to buy a CL 20 potion of magical vestment/Greater Magic Weapon for 3 000 GP and equip the entire party with shiny new +5 armor or weapons each morning.

Pathfinder recently released Mythic Adventures, that has an item a bit like what you describe - the Bountiful Bottle. The bountiful bottle is a bottle with two chambers, one inside the other. When you fill the inner chamber with a potion and the outer chamber with water, the water takes on the properties of the potion over a period of 24 hours. The replicated potion has to be drunk directly from the bountiful bottle and cannot be extracted or bottled without losing its potency.

So it only replicates one potion a day.

The Bountiful Bottle is priced at 4 000 GP, which I personally consider quite a bargain. It is however balanced for Mythic play, so it is probably under-priced for a regular game.

As for the arrow properties of this weapon, I'd price that cheaply - not more than 1-2k.
It looks like the Bountiful Bottle produces less potions/day than the Ready Quiver.