PDA

View Full Version : OOTS 46 in light of recent events.

Emulgator
2013-08-25, 11:07 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0046.gif

I'm not sure if Giant will ever make a callback to it, so I figured we can speculate a little. What could possibly Tarquin told Nale? Manipulate others from the shadows? Maybe Nale wanted to try Tarquin's methods, only for them to fail? I'm actually curious about that.

NerdyKris
2013-08-25, 11:08 AM
About the plan or the talisman.

If the latter, it's already resolved. If the former, that's a given.

I doubt it's anything new that hasn't been revealed by now.

137beth
2013-08-25, 11:14 AM
Probably "...that there exists this thing called the Talisman of Dorukan, which controls all outdated monsters."

F.Harr
2013-08-25, 11:24 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0046.gif

I'm not sure if Giant will ever make a callback to it, so I figured we can speculate a little. What could possibly Tarquin told Nale? Manipulate others from the shadows? Maybe Nale wanted to try Tarquin's methods, only for them to fail? I'm actually curious about that.

Huh. Interesting. That could be an explanation for Nale's increasingly irratic behavior. Or is it that irratic? I'm not sure.

littlebum2002
2013-08-25, 12:11 PM
Huh. Interesting. That could be an explanation for Nale's increasingly irratic behavior. Or is it that irratic? I'm not sure.

It's erratic I think. But "irratic" could be a portmanteau of "irrational" and "erratic", which also explains Nale's behavior

F.Harr
2013-08-25, 12:31 PM
It's erratic I think. But "irratic" could be a portmanteau of "irrational" and "erratic", which also explains Nale's behavior

Sadly, I can't claim that, but I'm willing for it to be serrandipitous.

Kish
2013-08-25, 12:36 PM
serrandipitous.
Would that be a portmanteau of "serrated" and "serendipitous"?

F.Harr
2013-08-25, 12:41 PM
Would that be a portmanteau of "serrated" and "serendipitous"?

Nope. I just can't spell.

Vendanna
2013-08-25, 12:44 PM
dunno if the giant will tell us what tarquin told nale in that part, but a few strips later Elan did a huge revelation to us, even if it didn't made a lot of sense way back then.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0069.html

Elan already knows he is good and that nale is neutral, no whonder he and drizzt were good friends they had probably the same alignement like Durkon and Roy.

The Pilgrim
2013-08-25, 01:05 PM
Didn't the Giant made a commentary somewhere saying that Nale wanted the Talisman to use the Army of Outdated Monsters to conquer his Father's Empire?

I'm right or I've fallen to telephone game?

Scow2
2013-08-25, 01:09 PM
dunno if the giant will tell us what tarquin told nale in that part, but a few strips later Elan did a huge revelation to us, even if it didn't made a lot of sense way back then.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0069.html

Elan already knows he is good and that nale is neutral, no whonder he and drizzt were good friends they had probably the same alignement like Durkon and Roy.

Actually, Elan knows Nale is EVIL, not Neutral. He was saying they were a "Good Twin" and "Evil Twin", not "Neutral Twin" and "Evil Twin".

Kish
2013-08-25, 01:13 PM
Didn't the Giant made a commentary somewhere saying that Nale wanted the Talisman to use the Army of Outdated Monsters to conquer his Father's Empire?

I'm right or I've fallen to telephone game?
Neither.

He said that Nale wanted the army to gain revenge on his father. At the time, it hadn't yet been established that Nale's unnamed father had an empire.

Matuse
2013-08-25, 01:28 PM
[Nevermind, I have goofed]

Ron Miel
2013-08-25, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure if Giant will ever make a callback to it, so I figured we can speculate a little. What could possibly Tarquin told Nale?

Ah yes, the Giant's next prequel, 'Internal Monologue' will be a Linear Guild origin story, as told by Nale to himself.

Diadem
2013-08-25, 03:54 PM
Don't forget that this is a pre-100 strip. The giant has said that he only designed the storyline around strip 100, so you probably shouldn't read too much into anything happening before that.

The Pilgrim
2013-08-25, 05:14 PM
Neither.

He said that Nale wanted the army to gain revenge on his father. At the time, it hadn't yet been established that Nale's unnamed father had an empire.

Thank you.

Now I'm wondering what kind of revenge Nale planned. By his relationship with Elan, it's reasonable to think that he was out to kill his father. However, Nale has never stated that he wanted to kill his father, so it's possible that he just craved to earn the respect of the Old Man by defeating him.

Well, maybe we will get a prequel someday.

NerdyKris
2013-08-25, 05:32 PM
We saw that he originally left two years ago because he wanted to enact the "take over the continent directly" plan immediately. He then went straight for the amulet, more or less. (A few months later)

He most likely wanted control of the monsters to seize control of the Empire of Blood, to take over the continent with.

Geordnet
2013-08-25, 06:08 PM
I don't think it was anything significant; Rich just needed something which sounded like there was something significant after it.

We saw that he originally left two years ago because he wanted to enact the "take over the continent directly" plan immediately. He then went straight for the amulet, more or less. (A few months later)
Going by the timeframe of the comic, Nale staged his botched rebellion over a year before the start of the first book. There is simply no way of knowing exactly when in that span he began seeking the amulet; it could have been immediately, or it could have been mere days before entering the Dungeon (after hearing rumors about it in a bar). Edit: Going back to the comic, I realized I missed the "indeed, I have worked for years for this very day" line. :smalltongue:

Anyways, it's not like a megalomaniac like Nale needs a reason for acquiring power, but he probably would have used the amulet in an ill-advised assault on his father's holdings.

Roland Itiative
2013-08-25, 07:50 PM
I imagine the continuation of that sentence, based on Tarquin and Nale's behaviour as it is known today, would be something like "... that I would never succeed in my plans. Soon he will see! Mwahaha!".

Nale does mention a few pages later that "no one denies him. Not father, not [Elan], no one", so the idea that Nale and his father were not on good terms probably already existed back then.