PDA

View Full Version : [Shadowrun 4e] Technomancers vs Wired Networks

Maxymiuk
2013-08-25, 12:53 PM
So I'll be running my first Shadowrun campaign and one of the players is making a Technomancer/Rigger character who's going to serve as the team's hacking/covert ops expert. One of the issues that got brought up when discussing his character is the fact that many corps use "old style" wired networks in their facilities to prevent remote node hacking, forcing shadowrunners to actually enter the premises and physically plug into the network if they want to affect it in any way.

As the rulebook doesn't make it clear one way or the other, my question is, how do technomancers interact with wired networks -- that is, if they can do so at all.

Tome
2013-08-25, 02:29 PM
They can't, normally.

However, there are workarounds.

The first, and most useful for a starting character, is to plug something into the system that is wireless enabled, such as a commlink, and go in via that. If you don't mind pinching stuff from 5E, there's a bit of gear called a data tap that's perfect for this.

The second is only available post-chargen. There's an Echo in Unwired called Skinlink that allows a Technomancer to connect to any device by touch even if the wireless is turned off (p147).

TheCountAlucard
2013-08-25, 10:01 PM
If you don't mind pinching stuff from 5E, there's a bit of gear called a data tap that's perfect for this.Actually, it's in 4e, too - there's even a drone with one built in.

Tome
2013-08-26, 02:51 AM
You know, I thought there was, but I couldn't find it when I checked my books so... :smallredface:

TheCountAlucard
2013-08-26, 10:40 AM
Pretty sure it's in Unwired; the drone makes a slight bend in a cable (doesn't even have to cut into it or kink it), and then you're in.