PDA

View Full Version : Need help with NPC creation

Stille_Nacht
2013-08-25, 03:09 PM
Background to the request (DnD 3.5) (i probably should have posted in that forum but i wasnt sure ><)
So, i've made some (currently allied) characters that fit the theme of our campaign really well, etc. etc., but i must prepare for an inevitability: the players will probably fight them eventually.

now, for normal characters that i tossed in on the fly this wouldn't be too much of an issue. the problem is, i made this faction with a "simple but effective" gimmick. (i can go more into why they share this trait if anyone cares).

now, simple but effective is ok for "cutscenes" played out for level 5s, where i just say "such and such happens in front of you! be impressed and scared!", but by the time they've got their powergamed t3 characters to level 14ish (party of 4), i'm not sure whether any amount of "simple but effective" is going to cut it. (unarmed factotum, burst damage warblade, healing bard, wildshape ranger)

I don't want to resort to making things up on the fly in combat, because i like to challenge myself a little during encounters. So i need advice on how to simulate these characters effectively.

NOTE: they do not have to have classes or feats or abilities present in source books. i'm allowed to literally make stuff up, so i just want a list of capabilities that will seriously challenge a lv 14 party.

Schutz- see tvtropes "mighty glacier"
-relatively small amount of natural hitpoints
-a lot of DR/psionic
-a lot of inertia, (so far she has walked through a stone wall, and an iron golem has utterly failed to budge her from a casual standing position.)
-very high will save (plot reasons)
-unarmed strikes do enough damage to be very dangerous

Rasch- see tvtropes "fragile speedster"
-Average amount of HD for a half-ogre
-fast enough to attack and move more than once per turn
-high AC
-gains reflex saves to normal attacks when they bypass AC, i might drop this mechanic, as its getting to be somewhat of a headache figuring out how to calculate what that save would be.
-gains reflex saves to most spells
-very high will save (plot reasons)

Lord North (this guy is for when they're level 17)- see tvtropes "lightning bruiser"
-Combination of both of the above