PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Novercalis
2013-08-25, 05:56 PM
If you are the only evil PC in the campaign?

Currently, I haven't done anything evil directly to my party. I have done 1 evil action, which was tortured and eventually rip the head of a goblin in front of 30 ambushing goblins.
Other than that, I've been stingy with my heals and made them aware that Pain and suffering is nice. You'll appreciate the heals alot more after you suffered enough. If not, no heals for you.

My concern is - that other cleric. Everyone is LN, LG, N and I am LE.
How do I exsist with this group or not get killed off? Same with they eventually cast Detect Evil.

Anyways what would you do, playing a Evil PC?

============================

Question #2

How do you handle a group that is basically 3 different parties?

1) Sorc, Monk, Druid (the original 3 players who started the campaign)
2) Myself (LE Cleric) who came in 3 sessions later
3) LN Cleric who came 2-3 sessions ago.

We are on the Island of chult and somehow, with a Ranger NPC, took on a T-Rex when we shouldnt have been able to kill it, but somehow we did. Both clerics almost died. Our next session is gonna be a arguement fest. The Druid didnt partake into the fight and held her Tanky Badger and kept telling us to retreat. The NPC ranger kept yelling to retreat but we couldn't for many damn reasons. We also have no leadership when it comes to talking to NPC/questgiver, etc

Usually it's Sorcerer and I trying to fight for leadership and dealing with strangers. Group decision - its cleric vs cleric vs rest and both clerics lose because it's 3vs1vs1 vote.Thier decision has already costed us 2 lives. A Dinosaur NPC and a badass pirate NPC. Both clerics are PISSED for them not listening either of our suggestion that would have kept them alive.
The other group is mad at me, for not being in the boat with the pirate npc, who got killed off by a wereshark.. yes a wereshark, who also killed the Dinosaur easily, we ended up retreating it cause it did not looked worned out after so much dmg output that was dealt. The Ranger came to assist and they all accepted him with open arms, not knowing his agenda.

Here we are, 2 clerics Mad at the group. Ranger mad at all of us, because we fought a T-rex and didnt obey him and being all loud in the Jungle due to the clerics armor, unable to move silent.
We refuse to, more so now, cause had we not had armor, that Rex would have 1 shot us.

What would you do?

=====================

question 3

This relates to Question 1

Although I am an LE cleric - I do have amnesia, I haven't done anything evil directly to the party, but neither good. I've been Neutral because for the past 6 session, we have been in survival mode, keeping each other alive from nightmare events and near deaths.

They have the ability to literally, change my alignment, change my morale outlook, take advantage of the amnesia, but they havent. How do I inform them, that hey - ya can influence me and point out the rights n wrongs I suppose and see what happens, if not, as it's going, im growing bitter and annoyed and will eventually, lash out and maybe get killed by them :(

what would you do?

===========

question #4

Becoming a Maiden of Pain PRC

Gender requirement - female

I am a Male though, DM said he will allow me to take that PRC class if I can find a way to become a woman. Basically, chop mr woody off. How would you guys go about this? Any thoughts of circumventing that and finding another way (curse/spell) for me to become a "woman" or atleast, lose my manhood without the severe way, but more human way (touch spell). Has to be permanent though, not a 24hr spell or whatnot.

Lateral
2013-08-25, 06:06 PM

Currently, I haven't done anything evil directly to my party. I have done 1 evil action, which was tortured and eventually rip the head of a goblin in front of 30 ambushing goblins.
Other than that, I've been stingy with my heals and made them aware that Pain and suffering is nice. You'll appreciate the heals alot more after you suffered enough. If not, no heals for you.

How do I exsist with this group or not get killed off? Same with they eventually cast Detect Evil.

Rule one of playing an Evil character in a Good party: make sure your character can get along with the others. 'Evil' isn't necessarily the same as 'douche', especially not with Lawful Evil. Hell, I'm playing a Lawful Evil character in a group with no other evil characters, but they get along fine because my character actually gives a damn about the others' survival. The reasons why they might care aren't too important- for my character, it's because he forms strong friendships and he's worked with the party for years, but it could just be as simple as 'they're useful.'

Now, depending on your party, they may not want to be with an Evil character. If there's a paladin, you're pretty much screwed, and you need to start casting Undetectable Alignment every morning. Otherwise, as long as you make it clear that you're there to help and don't intend to hurt or betray them, and your other players play rational PCs (rather than the sort of PCs who happen upon a group of goblin children and slaughter them without a second thought because 'hey, they're goblins, and we need the XP), you should be fine.

GreenETC
2013-08-25, 06:11 PM
question #4

I am a Male though, DM said he will allow me to take that PRC class if I can find a way to become a woman. Basically, chop mr woody off. How would you guys go about this? Any thoughts of circumventing that and finding another way (curse/spell) for me to become a "woman" or atleast, lose my manhood without the severe way, but more human way (touch spell). Has to be permanent though, not a 24hr spell or whatnot.
A short trip to the Tomb of Horrors can fix that up right quick. :smallamused:

On a different note, tell the NPC Ranger that you had no other choice but to fight the vicious T-Rex, and ask if he has any better suggestions for getting through the jungle since you guys obviously can't stealth your way through. There's no reason for a cleric to strip naked just to get through a jungle with a Ranger and a Druid, who could scout and make a distraction on their own.

Big Fau
2013-08-25, 06:13 PM
Never, under most circumstances, visit evil unto the party.
View the party as your trusted minions (after they earn it).
"Reward" them.
Show mercy to your enemies only if the party is likely to find out about you victimizing someone.
Let NPCs be the primary focus of your evil deeds.

The reason is simple: Unless you heavily optimize above the level of your allies, they can win almost every fight against you by virtue of being at your level. They are high-risk opponents best used as allies, and if your actions have a negative consequence against the party they may likely hold you responsible. It isn't worth trying to kowtow them simply because there are more of them than there is of you.

If most of them are non-Good you have an easier time of this. Present yourself as either a leader or an advisor, and try to get their support instead of forcing them to obey you (or punishing them for disobedience).

If they are mostly Good play a supportive role and use your underworld connections to keep the party ahead of whoever opposes them, and then profit off of their successes by gaining additional resources from the enemies you defeat (be it minions, territory, wealth, or information). The party will know OOC, and as long as your actions don't directly hinder them or become overtly evil they won't pay you any mind.

intothenight
2013-08-25, 06:44 PM
If your evil is discovered, tell the party you know that you've done bad things in the past, but you're trying to turn over a new leaf and hope they can be a good influence on you. If necessary, actually mean it. Of course, there's no guarantee you'll be able to cast aside your evil alignment. Temptation is everywhere.

Rover
2013-08-25, 06:51 PM
question #4

Girdle of masculinity/femininity.

Novercalis
2013-08-25, 08:38 PM
Rule one of playing an Evil character in a Good party: make sure your character can get along with the others. 'Evil' isn't necessarily the same as 'douche', especially not with Lawful Evil. Hell, I'm playing a Lawful Evil character in a group with no other evil characters, but they get along fine because my character actually gives a damn about the others' survival. The reasons why they might care aren't too important- for my character, it's because he forms strong friendships and he's worked with the party for years, but it could just be as simple as 'they're useful.'

Now, depending on your party, they may not want to be with an Evil character. If there's a paladin, you're pretty much screwed, and you need to start casting Undetectable Alignment every morning. Otherwise, as long as you make it clear that you're there to help and don't intend to hurt or betray them, and your other players play rational PCs (rather than the sort of PCs who happen upon a group of goblin children and slaughter them without a second thought because 'hey, they're goblins, and we need the XP), you should be fine.

Diety: Loviatar - My RP and behvior is as strict as possible, for what my memory has remembered.

My Relation with the Druid - She was the first to approach me, wounded and confused. We started off weary of each other and the situation that brought us both together. Throughout the campaign though, she was the only one that showed kindness towards me, stood up for me and handle me with care. I Acknowledge and respect that of her.

My Relation with the Monk - he was ok with me, was curious about my race and situation. Due to not knowing anything and kept to myself, he started to be sarcastic and disrespectful to me. He started to not trust me either. One day, Apparently I zoned out from a dream, sleptwalk and began to whip myself severely, to the point having blood splashed all over the place and fallen unconsciouness. He was in complete shock and didn't like me from there on. I was already being weird and having an intelligent whip that cuts into my arms also made him unease with me.
I tried to gain his respect since:
1) he told a story that he got electrocuted and enjoyed it a bit. Peaking my interest on someone who likes pain and during several encounters, he enjoys fighting, A LOT.
2) So during the pirate boat, I fought him inside the circle, after I healed him first... he didnt like that at all and thought I wanted to kill him or betrayed him, whatever.
Since then, he is undermining me, cuts me off when I speak, never agrees to any of my plans, etc.

My Relation to the Sorc - He's weary of me and it seems him and the Monk are real tight with each other. Lots of Bromance. They both work together. However, he's sensible at times. We rarely talk, but when it comes to improvising or finding ways to get out of bad situation, we are both thinking almost alike. We quickly discuss our plan and choose the best one and follow through. Never anything negative from him.

My Relation to the Cleric - I didnt trust him at all prior before learning he was a slave. Didnt care for him at all until learning he made Masterwork items for the party member. After that, I made a trade for him to gear me up and we are slowly bonding in a odd way. He is unaware of my weirdness and sadistic nature so far.

The monk is my main issue - he has more influence than I do. He doesn't give me any opening for me to gain his trust and when I do good stuf, like heal him, buff him, hell, the T-rex spotted him first, I came out of hiding to distract the dino but failed, I took many good deed actions towards him, but it seems it means nothing to him.

The other Cleric - because of my alignment, do I need to hide it from him?

Lastly, How would you handle 2 clerics, one good, one evil.
Good - Primary Healer, willing to heal at a wim notice, Caster Cleric
Evil - Debuffer, Front line attacker, Unholy/Vile magical dmg/aoe - I tend to heal myself, knowing the other one will be the heal bot.

Lateral
2013-08-25, 09:01 PM
Diety: Loviatar - My RP and behvior is as strict as possible, for what my memory has remembered.
Loviatar?! Hoo boy, this is going to be a little tough.

My Relation with the Druid - She was the first to approach me, wounded and confused. We started off weary of each other and the situation that brought us both together. Throughout the campaign though, she was the only one that showed kindness towards me, stood up for me and handle me with care. I Acknowledge and respect that of her.
Excellent! Hang onto that. Grudging respect is your best bet, I think- you aren't going to be able to convince them that you aren't Evil with a capital E, but you can at least make sure they see you as 'better helping them than on the loose.' Think Belkar, only less chaotic.

My Relation with the Monk - he was ok with me, was curious about my race and situation. Due to not knowing anything and kept to myself, he started to be sarcastic and disrespectful to me. He started to not trust me either. One day, Apparently I zoned out from a dream, sleptwalk and began to whip myself severely, to the point having blood splashed all over the place and fallen unconsciouness. He was in complete shock and didn't like me from there on. I was already being weird and having an intelligent whip that cuts into my arms also made him unease with me.
I tried to gain his respect since:
1) he told a story that he got electrocuted and enjoyed it a bit. Peaking my interest on someone who likes pain and during several encounters, he enjoys fighting, A LOT.
2) So during the pirate boat, I fought him inside the circle, after I healed him first... he didnt like that at all and thought I wanted to kill him or betrayed him, whatever.
Since then, he is undermining me, cuts me off when I speak, never agrees to any of my plans, etc.
That character is a complete *******. That's going to complicate interactions- I'm assuming that the player is more reasonable than the character, so you should be able to make do with 'live and let live' here. Try to appease him, make sure the others side with you often enough that you're still an asset, and don't be too smug. I mean, you are Lawful Evil, smugness is part of the package. Just be careful with it.

My Relation to the Sorc - He's weary of me and it seems him and the Monk are real tight with each other. Lots of Bromance. They both work together. However, he's sensible at times. We rarely talk, but when it comes to improvising or finding ways to get out of bad situation, we are both thinking almost alike. We quickly discuss our plan and choose the best one and follow through. Never anything negative from him.
This guy sounds pretty reasonable. As long as you don't antagonize the Monk too much, and make sure that you don't wear out this guy too much, you should be okay- hell, you might even be able to start up a friendship, though it'll be pretty weird.

My Relation to the Cleric - I didnt trust him at all prior before learning he was a slave. Didnt care for him at all until learning he made Masterwork items for the party member. After that, I made a trade for him to gear me up and we are slowly bonding in a odd way. He is unaware of my weirdness and sadistic nature so far.
Break it to him slowly. Try not to let him figure it out all at once, and he should accept it okay. Try not to come off as overtly or especially dangerously evil- he's LN, you guys should get along okay.

The monk is my main issue - he has more influence than I do. He doesn't give me any opening for me to gain his trust and when I do good stuf, like heal him, buff him, hell, the T-rex spotted him first, I came out of hiding to distract the dino but failed, I took many good deed actions towards him, but it seems it means nothing to him.
Yeah, you're going to have trouble with him. Just keep being good towards him, especially in front of other people. Try to get them on your side, make them realize how much of a jerk he's being to you. Especially the sorcerer- he'll have a lot of pull with the monk, so if he feels sorry for you, he might help you out.

The other Cleric - because of my alignment, do I need to hide it from him?
He's LN, right? You guys should be fine, as long as that cleric understands that just because someone is evil doesn't mean they're a complete monster.

...I'd still opt for Undetectable Alignment every day, just in case.

Lastly, How would you handle 2 clerics, one good, one evil.
Good - Primary Healer, willing to heal at a wim notice, Caster Cleric
Evil - Debuffer, Front line attacker, Unholy/Vile magical dmg/aoe - I tend to heal myself, knowing the other one will be the heal bot.
I thought the other cleric was Lawful Neutral?

Either way, Good and Evil clerics generally don't get along too well. Believing in gods that are specifically Good or Evil tends to lead to pretty rigid outlooks. You could use Undetectable Alignment and try to convince the Good cleric that you're Neutral, not Evil?

Maginomicon
2013-08-25, 09:55 PM
You could gently nudge the possibility of Real Alignments (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283341) to your GM. In that system, "evil" isn't principally-defined by acts, but motives instead. Thus, you can be as much of an "evil bastard" as you want so long as your character has a personality that prioritizes "non-evil aspects". Or, alternatively, you could have "evil" motives but do scores of "good" acts.

Yora
2013-08-26, 04:16 AM
Evil isn't the real problem here. You can be evil without being considered a danger to the world by the other PCs.
Being a cleric of Loviatar means spreading pain and suffering whenever possible. There's no way good characters would consider that "not being a danger to the world". Unless the character completely ignores the religion, which as a cleric isn't really an option.

I say make a different character.

HalfQuart
2013-08-26, 03:40 PM
When playing evil characters, I think you generally have to make an out-of-game pact not to attack or kill other PCs, even if that isn't "realistic", since that sort of behavior very often leads to hurt feelings and un-fun-ness.

And yeah, there comes a point where if you can't find any healthy synergy in a party, someone needs to retire a character and come up with a different concept that works better. Dunno if you're an this point yet, but it's worth considering.

Medic!
2013-08-26, 04:07 PM
I would suggest a long hard study of my good friend Vegeta (if you're into anime at all). He's a great example of evil and good working hand in hand.

Segev
2013-08-26, 04:35 PM
Normally, this wouldn't matter, but it will here because it shapes how the monk's behavior might be dealt with: Do the other players know your character's alignment? (If "yes," I think the monk's player is probably meta-gaming.)

Here's my suggested strategy in terms of RP:

The other cleric is LN, right? And both of you are being mistreated/out-voted by the other PCs. Form an alliance. If you can, look into something like Durkon and the Lizardman cleric, wherein desptie differing religions, you have a professional respect for each other.
Build your relation with the druid to as much of a genuine friendship as you can. Your character may be enamored of pain, but companionship, friendship, and human contact are still precious things, especially to one bereft of his memories. Even if you don't go for romance (which could get creepy given your deity), a strong friendship here can both help you politically and might give you that avenue to hint (or outright tell, OOC) that your character is open for a redemption arc.
Study the monk's interaction with the party. See who else he has even the slightest friction with. Make sure that you do your best to be polite and helpful towards those people and towards the monk. You have these masochistic tendencies, but the rest of the party need not know they don't trouble you. Make them seem to be a reaction to the monk's unfair treatment of you. If he expresses anything else like this "I enjoyed being electrocuted" moment, try that torment on yourself, clearly because the monk suggested it. The goal here is to either find points of commonality with him, or, more likely given his behavior, make him look like a jerk in front of the others. Become sympathetic.
The girdle of masculinity/femaninity is technically a "cursed" item. Bestow Curse can achieve the same effects. Perhaps you can curse yourself with awesome by cursing yourself to be female. This will help you meet the class requirements. I wouldn't mutilate yourself (and before anybody takes offense, recall that he's in a medieval setting on a deserted island) unless you want to go past PG-13 towards R-rated gaming, because it involves thinking about it too hard. And there are magical ways to handle it that make it "cleaner" than it could ever be in the real world. Heck, if you can, find a way to make it look like something the monk "did to you." And then exploit the stereotype about a "vulnerable woman" as much as possible to continue to make him the bad guy unless and until he stops opposing you.

In short, you're lawful evil. Be manipulative...but subtly. And otherwise just be helpful and try to make friends. You have at least two natural allies in the other cleric and the druid, both over how you met and over your mutual divine leanings. If the players don't know your alignment, you may have to play THEM a little, too. If it's a very mature group who are okay with cooperating in the manipulation of their PCs, let them in on it.

Then again, I am unsure how good this advice is; the last time I played a character who was stereotypically supposed to be evil, he WAS working for the villains, but he was also the party's moral compass and he got credit for corrupting them when really all he did was be on hand while they corrupted themselves. ^^; And several times, he mitigated the consequences of their corruptions. Which did a lot to make him trusted despite his very selfish goals.

Novercalis
2013-08-27, 09:51 PM
Bestow Curse is only 24 hours, I would assume, my Diety would not take kind of me cheating or exploiting a loophole. Unless I can find a permanent way, it will end up being the old fashion way and chop it off (which technically isnt really a bad thing for a follower of Loviatar, I suppose.. Sadomaschoist. Don't think I will be able to find a Girdle of Masculinity (how do I go about that with the DM?)

Maginomicon
2013-08-27, 10:04 PM
Don't think I will be able to find a Girdle of Masculinity (how do I go about that with the DM?)

Tell your GM that your character's fallen in love with one of the other PCs (who's gender identity is incompatible with yours as you are) and you want to seek out the only thing that'll let them love you back. :P

(This actually happened in a game I was in. Someone had their big reward for finishing the game be asking the king for a gender-change belt.)

As I recall, the curse remains even if you take off the belt.

Pickford
2013-08-28, 02:52 AM

============================

There's only 'one' good character in that party. You and the LG guy cancel out, leaving a LN and N character. That's a neutral party. That being the case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally speaking even evil people don't do things to their compatriots unless they are also psychotic, and even then...not if they are useful. (Unless you were deliberately playing an incompetent villain)

Segev
2013-08-28, 08:25 AM
Both the PF and 3.5 versions of Bestow Curse on the respective SRDs list the duration as "permanent." Where do you see it as 24 hours?

forsaken1111
2013-08-28, 08:35 AM
When I played an evil cleric I made other characters memorize certain prayers to my god and recite them if they wanted to receive healing. Once healed, they had to thank my god for his blessing.

It seems only fair.